“OK-clean and nice, but not luxury”

Trevi Palace Luxury Apartments
Ranked #248 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Gjovik, Norway
“OK-clean and nice, but not luxury”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Excellent location very close to everything. We stayed in a standard room, clean and nice, but not luxury at all. But we enjoyed our stay, it was quiet at night and the breakfast was average. If you want to have a walking distance to the historical sites, the shopping areas and the romantic places I would recommend staying here- if you are looking for luxury: do not.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EvaM54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Harpenden
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Good: The room we stayed was amazing, definitely will get the same room if we go back there as we loved having a drink in the balcony. Location perfect, very central. Breakfast was very good.
Bad: Included in the price there was a massage, which they booked without asking me and I could not make the time as we were still not in Rome and they could not rearrange for another slot even though I stayed 3 days. If you offer a service, you should be able to provide it.
Also as it was a 5 star hotel, I would have expected more cleanness, one of the tea cups was dirt.

Room Tip: Bernini 4 is the room with the balcony and two bathrooms
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 September 2012

The rooms of this hotel are some of the most modern (not up-to-date, but design) that I've ever stayed in. Caught my wife's and my appreciation right away.

The Good: Coming off an unfortunate experience at Trevi Relais 41, we literally walked in off the street and the manager there was extremely helpful in finding one of their rooms that would fit the 4 of us (only a couple rooms could), and she happily showed them to us. Thru our stay, I noticed that the front desk managers were some of the nicest I've come across in many trips to Italy. They just weren't that effective at actually managing problems (more on that below; see my profile about why this issue matters to me). The location of the hotel is completely stellar. Not that it's so close to the fountain, you really only go there once or twice. It's that the location is central to seeing so many of the sites in Rome. You can walk from here to most anywhere you'd want to if you are walkers like us (tho we did take the metro to the Vatican). All three top gelato places mentioned in Rick's guide are within easy walking distance, though more beautiful at night. It's very quiet. The breakfast is adequate, though here again the staff are very friendly and happy to make caps for you. Finally, did I mention the rooms? Just beautiful - and ours had an outside private patio that we could eat or relax on.

The Not-so-Good: Can you believe there was a blinking fire alarm light on the ceiling over our bed in our room? As in, kept me up once it was dark in the room? Who the heck puts a light there? The night manager - again to their credit - kindly and nicely showed me another room in the dead of the night for us to move to. Alas, it wouldn't work for our family configuration. But he did happily show me the blinking alarm light for that room. I grumpily showed him that it was outside(!) in the hallway, not over the master bed. At which point when I showed him our light, he was completely amazed. Long story short, even their maintenance guys couldn't figure out a solution the next morning, and were pretty sheepish when I took their electrical tape and taped over the light. Another problem was that the master bathroom sink light was out, and stayed that way for 4 of our 5 nights (there's a similar complaint in another review). It was so dark I couldn't see to shave or brush my teeth. I got some BS each day about needing to go to the store. So go already! And with empty rooms why they couldn't have swapped a light from another bathroom escaped me. Again, no problem solving ability whatsoever. Those really were the two major problems. I would probably add that the hotel was pretty expensive, especially to put up with those problems. And again, the breakfast was the least adequate of our stay in Italy.

Overall, I would say that we loved the hotel rooms, the location, the friendliness of the staff, but ground our molars on the Italian style incompetence and lack of caring, really. Couldn't even get a discount for our troubles. Would we stay here again? Probably, though more so if we were two rather than four.

Final note: Definitely eat at Il Chianti down the alley 30 paces. Fantastic food, service, and value.

Room Tip: They are all lovely, but check the ceilings first to make sure your blinking fire alarm isn't lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel in Rome. First of all, the location is great. It's in the center of everything and you can just walk outside to Trevi Fountain in less than a minute.

We were very happy with our room. Very modern, new, high ceilings, clean and although it faced the street, the double windows kept all the noise outside. The mini bar which had cold bottled water, sodas, and candy bars is complimentary. Breakfast was also included.

I gave this place an excellent rating because of the value proposition. For US$200 per night this place was great value in the heart of Rome.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Just back from a three night stay here with my sister. It is in a perfect location, really close to the Trevi Fountain. We stayed in the Suite on the ground floor which was lovely and spacious. The beds are sectioned off from the seating area and TV. There is also a kitchen area with table and chairs. The minibar was complimentary and refilled so we had cold water to take out with us each day. The only downside to being on the ground floor was we heard street noise up until 11pm each night. The breakfast was simple but we enjoyed it. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had use of the spa and a free massage which we went to Navona Palace for. The massage was good, although the spa was very basic, it would have been better if there was a jacuzzi. I will stay in this hotel again and I would recommend it as it made our trip very comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Staffordshire
Reviewed 5 August 2012

A great little find from lastminute.com two days before we travelled. The room was modern and absolutely immaculate, everything as it should be. Before we arrived we emailed them to arrange a couple of reservations and they were dealt with straight away by the helpful staff.
The breakfast was just what was needed and the espresso was good and strong...
The bed was too hard for both of us which made it a little uncomfortable for my pregnant wife and the air conditioning was somewhat lacking in power and made the early evenings a little uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Altos Hills, California
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We booked our stay for three people at the Trevi Palace months in advance. I even called the hotel to confirm the booking for 3 people.

Days before our stay, I received an email saying that I will be charged an extra 50 Euros for the third person. Then to make matters worse, I received a second email telling me that my booking was cancelled because my credit card did not go through. I checked with my credit card company and with Visa, who both confirmed that there was no denial of any charges to the original card that I gave to the hotel. The hotel then told me the day before my arrival that if I still wanted to stay there I would have to pay the current rate, which was an additional 50 Euros per night.

This was nothing more than a "bait-and-switch" on the rate that I was originally given and which was confirmed by email. Of course, I had no choice but to pay a higher rate, as all hotels rates were now higher.

While the accommodation were good, and the hotel staff pleasant, I would not stay there again.

Also, it is too close to the Trevi fountains and all the traffic and tourists that come with it.

Room Tip: Stay a little further away from the action and avoid the congestion. I don't have any advice on...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family