“Nowhere close to a 5 star!”

Trevi Palace Luxury Apartments
Ranked #222 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 April 2013

On Trip Advisor, this comes up as a 4 star, although they call themselves a 5 star. I would call it closer to a 3 star! The location is good, if you want to be around hordes and hordes of toursists. A taxi cannot go all the way to the hotel so if anybody has problems walking or carrying their suitcases, this is NOT the place for you. Front desk rude: They offered us a room with NO WINDOWS -- I am not kidding! The only natural light was a sliding door that looked into the interior courtyard of the hotel, so if you wanted light everybody in the hotel would see you. We asked to be changed (room also smelled really moldy) and got a much smaller room but they would not make any adjustment in price, even though we paid for a suite, and would not even give us the size room we paid for the next day, even though they admitted one was available. Rooms VERY small, and "third" bed so uncomfortable by teenage kids ended up folding them up and sleeping on the floor. The rudeness of the front desk was the worst.

Room Tip: DO NOT accept the suite that is on the "lobby" floor as it has no windows!!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank valerie K

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I love this small Hotel that has big rooms with great price and lovely service and great wonderfull location that takes you to the best shopping designers shops and resturants. also close to all the hop on hop off buses that takes you all needed landmarks in Rome

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Khokha J
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Excellent location very close to Trevi fountain. You can easily walk to most places of interest in 10 minutes, Colleseum is approximately 15-20 min walk. The hotel is not a 5 star hotel, more a 3+ or maybe a 4 star hotel. Rooms are ok but the beds are rock hard, tv has only italian channels, still it states there should be some english spooken ones like BBC but they dont work. Breakfast is more a less a circus, the only thing that works good is the coffe, very swift service and good taste.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MattiasBM
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Excellent location very close to everything. We stayed in a standard room, clean and nice, but not luxury at all. But we enjoyed our stay, it was quiet at night and the breakfast was average. If you want to have a walking distance to the historical sites, the shopping areas and the romantic places I would recommend staying here- if you are looking for luxury: do not.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EvaM54
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Good: The room we stayed was amazing, definitely will get the same room if we go back there as we loved having a drink in the balcony. Location perfect, very central. Breakfast was very good.
Bad: Included in the price there was a massage, which they booked without asking me and I could not make the time as we were still not in Rome and they could not rearrange for another slot even though I stayed 3 days. If you offer a service, you should be able to provide it.
Also as it was a 5 star hotel, I would have expected more cleanness, one of the tea cups was dirt.

Room Tip: Bernini 4 is the room with the balcony and two bathrooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012

The rooms of this hotel are some of the most modern (not up-to-date, but design) that I've ever stayed in. Caught my wife's and my appreciation right away.

The Good: Coming off an unfortunate experience at Trevi Relais 41, we literally walked in off the street and the manager there was extremely helpful in finding one of their rooms that would fit the 4 of us (only a couple rooms could), and she happily showed them to us. Thru our stay, I noticed that the front desk managers were some of the nicest I've come across in many trips to Italy. They just weren't that effective at actually managing problems (more on that below; see my profile about why this issue matters to me). The location of the hotel is completely stellar. Not that it's so close to the fountain, you really only go there once or twice. It's that the location is central to seeing so many of the sites in Rome. You can walk from here to most anywhere you'd want to if you are walkers like us (tho we did take the metro to the Vatican). All three top gelato places mentioned in Rick's guide are within easy walking distance, though more beautiful at night. It's very quiet. The breakfast is adequate, though here again the staff are very friendly and happy to make caps for you. Finally, did I mention the rooms? Just beautiful - and ours had an outside private patio that we could eat or relax on.

The Not-so-Good: Can you believe there was a blinking fire alarm light on the ceiling over our bed in our room? As in, kept me up once it was dark in the room? Who the heck puts a light there? The night manager - again to their credit - kindly and nicely showed me another room in the dead of the night for us to move to. Alas, it wouldn't work for our family configuration. But he did happily show me the blinking alarm light for that room. I grumpily showed him that it was outside(!) in the hallway, not over the master bed. At which point when I showed him our light, he was completely amazed. Long story short, even their maintenance guys couldn't figure out a solution the next morning, and were pretty sheepish when I took their electrical tape and taped over the light. Another problem was that the master bathroom sink light was out, and stayed that way for 4 of our 5 nights (there's a similar complaint in another review). It was so dark I couldn't see to shave or brush my teeth. I got some BS each day about needing to go to the store. So go already! And with empty rooms why they couldn't have swapped a light from another bathroom escaped me. Again, no problem solving ability whatsoever. Those really were the two major problems. I would probably add that the hotel was pretty expensive, especially to put up with those problems. And again, the breakfast was the least adequate of our stay in Italy.

Overall, I would say that we loved the hotel rooms, the location, the friendliness of the staff, but ground our molars on the Italian style incompetence and lack of caring, really. Couldn't even get a discount for our troubles. Would we stay here again? Probably, though more so if we were two rather than four.

Final note: Definitely eat at Il Chianti down the alley 30 paces. Fantastic food, service, and value.

Room Tip: They are all lovely, but check the ceilings first to make sure your blinking fire alarm isn't lo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel in Rome. First of all, the location is great. It's in the center of everything and you can just walk outside to Trevi Fountain in less than a minute.

We were very happy with our room. Very modern, new, high ceilings, clean and although it faced the street, the double windows kept all the noise outside. The mini bar which had cold bottled water, sodas, and candy bars is complimentary. Breakfast was also included.

I gave this place an excellent rating because of the value proposition. For US$200 per night this place was great value in the heart of Rome.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple