“Meaty kosher feast in Roma”
Review of Ba Ghetto

Ba Ghetto
Reserve with
Ba Ghetto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,314 of 12,684 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$20 - US$45
Cuisines: Italian, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ghetto
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We popped in to the suburban branch for an evening meal on a hot summers evening. Given the sometimes relaxed attitude to bookings at these sort of restaurants we were pleasantly surprised to see our reserved table waiting. The menu is a mix of meaty Israeli Moroccan Italian favourites. Service was good we'd certainly go back next time we are in Rome.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

There were several restaurants on the street. I could have eaten anywhere, but my husband is vegetarian and since his choices are more limited (he doesn't eat cheese), I let him choose the restaurant. We knew about the charge for bread and when the waiter came with it, we turned it away. A few minutes later, another staff member tried again to deliver bread. Again, we turned it away.

We both ordered and enjoyed the fried artichoke even though I thought some of the leaves were very chewy. I also ordered an Israeli salad for us to share which never made it to our table. My husband had the couscous with vegetables which he said was fine. He was slightly disappointed the texture of the couscous which was somewhat mushy. I had the spaghetti bolognese and it tasted fine. I did wish there was Parmesan cheese, but being a kosher restaurant I knew better.

The carafe of water had the restaurant's name on it. Apparently they refill them. I hate to wrongly accuse them but what is to stop them from serving tap water? There is nothing wrong with tap water, however, I don't want to pay bottle prices for it. Also, while we were waiting for the appetizer to arrive I noticed that the plate that had been pre-set on the table was dirty. I traded it for the one on the next table which was clean, but chipped. My pasta also arrived on a chipped plate.

When we wanted the check, one staff member was sitting at an empty table outside. We asked him for it even though he was not our waiter as we hadn't seen our waiter for a while. The staff member, who appeared to be the manager, yelled the names of the waiters hoping to get their attention rather than getting up and going inside himself. When the bill arrived we saw that they had charged for the salad they didn't serve, but they promptly took it off the bill when we pointed that out.

I felt bad for the Canadian family of five seated next to us. They accepted the bread basket and paid €7.5 for it! They shouldn't charge per person, they should charge per basket if they are going to charge for it at all.

Keep walking, there are plenty of other restaurants on the street and this place isn't worth stopping for.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The restaurant itself is in a nice part of the city and is away from the main tourist routes, meaning that the meal was nice and relaxed. As for the food and drink, the tajine dish I had was very tasty and filling, my first Israeli beer went down a treat and the mousse I had at the end was a nice way to end the meal.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Ba'Ghetto is located within the Jewish ghetto of Rome and consists of two separate kosher restaurants - one meat, and one dairy. Whether Jewish or not, whether you keep kosher or not, both of these restaurants serve incredible meals. The proof is that they attract jew and non-jew alike from all over Rome. The pastas are outstanding as is the pizza in the dairy restaurant. The meat restaurant is equally as good. You simply cannot go wrong at either one. The value for the amount of food is excellent.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our first meal in Rome was at Ba'Ghetto Milky and it was incredible. We ordered the pizza with artichokes, truffles, mozzarella & parmesan and the fettucini alfredo. Both were beyond delicious. Service was good and the portions were large. Note that there is a €1.50 charge per person for bread and they charge for water. We ate outside to get the feel of the neighborhood.

We also ate at the meat Ba'Ghetto. Loved the Jewish Artichoke (fried). We ordered the grilled meat platter and the tagliatelle with stewed meat sauce. Thought that was just meat sauce, but it was sauce with chunks of flanken in it (not what we expected or craved). The portions were decent sized and the service was pretty good. We ate inside to avoid the cigarette smoke and enjoy some air conditioning.