“Orchestra went on strike during the premiere of La Boheme at Termi di Caracalla!”

Teatro dell'Opera di Roma
Book In Advance
More Info
US$118.66*
and up
Rome Uncovered: A Fully Private Walking Tour Through the Most Iconic Places of...
Ranked #177 of 1,874 things to do in Rome
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had paid for sector A tickets at Termi Di Caracalla for the premiere night of La Boheme. We had looked forward to this for months. Only after 20 min of waiting after the opera was supposed to start, somebody comes on stage and says that the orchestra musicians went on strike and we could either watch the play with the singers and a piano and get 50% off from another ticket purchase or get the money reimbursed, this I found out by someone else, since no information in english was given. The crowd booed the stage and people left on a massive walk out. It took yet another hour of waiting in line to get our money back, but we had bought our ticket through a third party company, which meant with lost 32 euros of service fee and the taxi fare back and forth, not to mention the fact that it was my boyfriend's birthday! This was incredible unprofessional and sad. I hope the poor musicians get their situation sorted out!

1  Thank Miss L

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We bought tickets to a performance of Carmen. The theatre is elegant and the opera was amazing. We went with our young adult daughters (early 20s), neither of whom had ever been to an opera and they loved it. A memorable experience for life!

1  Thank Karen K
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I booked to see Sleeping Beauty towards the end of May, which I was looking forward to. As I had serious issues deciphering the online ticketing portal, I elected to purchase a ticket at the highest price point - an ostensible bargain at 65 Euro - rather than selecting my own seat. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found I was sitting in the second row in a front facing box. I could only see the back of the person's head, as the second row is not raised. With respect, you could not sell a seat like that in the Sydney Opera House (at least), let alone charge the top price bracket for it.

Although not the theatre's fault, I seem to have been cursed by the presence in that same box of a concupiscent middle aged couple on their second honeymoon, who acted as if I wasn't there.

I left before the performance started as my complaints were met with uncomprehending, unhelpful ears.

Lesson: be more vigilant and select your own seat!

8  Thank SoDizzy
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I would not have done this at home but one of the people I met mentioned she was going to see the ballet, Sleeping Beauty, at the opera house. When I inquired how much the tickets were I could not believe how inexpensive they were ($18 euro and up). I bought one of the 18euro tickets and off we went. To see such a spectacular performance in this magnificent venue was overwhelming. The opera house is a beauty to behold and being from Canada we don't have a venue that compares. The costumes were beautiful and the music wonderful. I loved it so much I went back on the Sunday for the matinee performance. (Only 12 euros)

2  Thank Kathie M
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The relative simplicity of the facade does not prepare you for the magnificent interior of this opera house with it's many tiers. Sight lines are very good and although modifications have reduced overall seating numbers, this still leaves spaces for over a thousand opera goers enjoying such improvements as full air conditioning. The building was well attended on the day we had booked and it would be a disaster if the Opera succumbed to the severe financial pressures that we understand at present exist. The Teatro is centrally place in the city, very near to the Repubblica metro station and there are many bars,restaurants and coffee shops nearby to add a further dimension to the visit. The evening was excellent and this Opera House and it's company is very worthy of support.

3  Thank bsandrs