“Magnificent production in an opulent theatre”

Teatro dell'Opera di Roma
Book In Advance
More Info
US$142.53*
and up
Rome Uncovered: A Fully Private Walking Tour Through the Most Iconic Places of...
Ranked #153 of 1,486 things to do in Rome
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access
Toronto, Canada
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“Magnificent production in an opulent theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our family of three attended the final performance of Carmen for the season and it was magnificent. All the singing was superb but Simon Orfila was especially grand as Escamillo the Toreador. It takes great talent to take such familiar music and make it your own yet that's just what he did. The sets and costumes were top-notch and at times the actors and chorus on the stage numbered in the hundreds. It was a truly spectacular performance. The theatre is quite unassuming from the outside but inside it's lavishly decorated in red and gold with a massive chandelier of Murano glass in the middle of the painted mural on the ceiling. We'd purchased the tickets months before using the official website which allowed us, in English, to choose exactly the seats we wanted from a map of the theatre. We printed off our tickets at home and had no issues at the theatre. Patrons were quite well dressed. We were on a fairly casual, carry-on luggage only vacation but I packed a blue blazer, white shirt, and linen pants while my wife and daughter brought little black dresses with colourful scarves for accents. We were glad we did; the chinos and casual shirts we wore for the rest of our vacation wouldn't have cut it. A true highlight of our entire Italian vacation.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank TorontoJK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Oslo, Norway
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Orchestra went on strike during the premiere of La Boheme at Termi di Caracalla!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had paid for sector A tickets at Termi Di Caracalla for the premiere night of La Boheme. We had looked forward to this for months. Only after 20 min of waiting after the opera was supposed to start, somebody comes on stage and says that the orchestra musicians went on strike and we could either watch the play with the singers and a piano and get 50% off from another ticket purchase or get the money reimbursed, this I found out by someone else, since no information in english was given. The crowd booed the stage and people left on a massive walk out. It took yet another hour of waiting in line to get our money back, but we had bought our ticket through a third party company, which meant with lost 32 euros of service fee and the taxi fare back and forth, not to mention the fact that it was my boyfriend's birthday! This was incredible unprofessional and sad. I hope the poor musicians get their situation sorted out!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Miss L
Los Angeles, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We bought tickets to a performance of Carmen. The theatre is elegant and the opera was amazing. We went with our young adult daughters (early 20s), neither of whom had ever been to an opera and they loved it. A memorable experience for life!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Karen K
Sydney, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Fabulous theatre, seating nightmare”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I booked to see Sleeping Beauty towards the end of May, which I was looking forward to. As I had serious issues deciphering the online ticketing portal, I elected to purchase a ticket at the highest price point - an ostensible bargain at 65 Euro - rather than selecting my own seat. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found I was sitting in the second row in a front facing box. I could only see the back of the person's head, as the second row is not raised. With respect, you could not sell a seat like that in the Sydney Opera House (at least), let alone charge the top price bracket for it.

Although not the theatre's fault, I seem to have been cursed by the presence in that same box of a concupiscent middle aged couple on their second honeymoon, who acted as if I wasn't there.

I left before the performance started as my complaints were met with uncomprehending, unhelpful ears.

Lesson: be more vigilant and select your own seat!

Visited May 2014
7 Thank SoDizzy
Hamilton, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Highlight of My Trip!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I would not have done this at home but one of the people I met mentioned she was going to see the ballet, Sleeping Beauty, at the opera house. When I inquired how much the tickets were I could not believe how inexpensive they were ($18 euro and up). I bought one of the 18euro tickets and off we went. To see such a spectacular performance in this magnificent venue was overwhelming. The opera house is a beauty to behold and being from Canada we don't have a venue that compares. The costumes were beautiful and the music wonderful. I loved it so much I went back on the Sunday for the matinee performance. (Only 12 euros)

Visited May 2014