“The Rome synagogue and Jewish museum has to be seen”

Museo Ebraico di Roma
Ranked #95 of 1,971 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The beautiful synagogue of Rome is very impressive from outside and also inside.
There is a guided visit to the two synagogues in the site as well as the very interesting exhibitions of the history of Jews living in Italy for twenty-two centuries.
A very nice collection of Torah covers with embroidery is shown at the first room.
Also it is shown the life of the Jews before and during WWII.
It is an important visit for people that are not familiar with Jewish life and costumes.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"visit to rome"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Although it's as expensive as any other touristic attraction in Rome, the place is worth visiting.
Please don't be put off by security at the entrance - they have to their job since the terrorist attack happened by the Synagogue years back.

If you are really keen on learning about Judaism, and especially if that's your first experience, take your time, you might need like two hours or more, if you use the audioguide, read the information on the walls, watch the documentary, plus take a tour to Synagogues (museum, audio guide, plus a guided tour to two Synagogues are all included in the ticket).

I haven't been to a Synagogue before, and I didn't know much about Judaism, and the tour amazed and helped me to learn a lot! I loved all the exhibits and the Synagogue, which is marvelous and very UNIQUE, which is admitted by Jews from all over the world. It is very much in the mood of the whole city of Rome - divine beauty.

The only minus was the attitude of the tour guide who took us to Synagogues (you cannot enter there without a tour, unless you are going for daily prayers). The guide was not informative and explanatory enough. She used Jewish terms without clarifying them. Also, she was a bit stricked, not that inspiring. Although the lady at the ticket counter was really nice, helpful and responsive. It depends on your luck whom you meet I guess.

Overall, I loved my experience and I feel encouraged to learn more about this amazing culture and religion.

2  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My partner and I were looking forward to visiting the museum and synagogue this afternoon. Upon our arrival, however, we were treated very rudely and abruptly by the obnoxious security guard at the entrance to the museum, who snapped at us rather than politely explaining the procedure for entering the facility. The experience left us with such a bad impression that we mutually decided to leave. Courtesy counts. We won't be coming back.

4  Thank Theotormon
Reviewed 31 May 2014

beautiful documentatin of an old community that almost perished in WWII. several historical relics and a glimpse at how life could have been