“Not What I Expected”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$43.52*
and up
Circus Maximus Caracalla Bath and Aventine Hill...
Ranked #76 of 1,972 things to do in Rome
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I read multiple reviews about looking through the Keyhole at the top of Aventine Hill and while it was an amazing site, I think it has been slightly exaggerated how much of a "must see" this is. I definitely suggest seeing this site- however I would make sure it's on your way to somewhere else. I went out of my way to see this and got lost trying to climb up the hill. Make sure you know where you're going before journeying out to see this place.

All reviews
"orange garden"
in 18 reviews
"circo massimo"
in 19 reviews
"knights of malta keyhole"
in 12 reviews
"circus maximus"
in 25 reviews
"dome of st"
in 11 reviews
"piazza dei cavalieri di malta"
in 8 reviews
"walk up"
"take photos"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 6 July 2014

After so many wonderful reviews, I made sure I wouldn't miss out on the Aventine Keyhole. To be honest, it was very underwhelming as a whole. It was hard to find and a tough walk up from the Roman Forum. After we finally found it, we stood in a line to be able to look through the key hole. The view is charming but not anything spectacular. You can get a better view by just looking out over the skyline. However the square is nice and the carvings were much more interesting than the actual key hole.

1  Thank MayaKarin
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

It's well worth the walk up the hill, even on a hot sunny day!! We hopped off the open top city bus at the stop after the coliseum.
If you are looking for the door (took us a while to find it) go through the rose gardens by the main road, up the hill. You will get to a lovely orange tree garden which has breathtaking views, continue up the hill past the next garden right to the tip of the road & you will find the door way on the right. Well worth it although my photos didn't come out very well do will have to rely on my memories!!!

1  Thank kelly s
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It’s a small trek to get up there from the centre but very much worth it. There is a beautiful little church Basilica di Santa Sabina that is very quaint and pretty. The orange groves next to it have a fantastic view across the City from St Peters to the synagogue and the roman forum and colosseum. And a beautiful tree lined walk away is the knights of Malta keyhole. Giving a beautiful framed look at St Peters . Well worth the walk!!!

1  Thank Dee T
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Aventine Hill is fabulous for relaxing stays in Rome. There are several charming and reasonably priced hotels in the neighborhood, several beautiful churches, good restaurants within walking distance, and fantastic views of Rome from many vantage points. Don't miss the "keyhole view" (ask locals if you can't locate it yourself!). One of my favorite areas of Rome!

1  Thank Raintree_Thailand