“Visit the palace itself”

Palazzo Colonna - Galleria Colonna
Ranked #32 of 1,994 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Right in the center of Rome, close to Piazza Venezia, Palazzo Colonna is one of the greatest Barocco Palaces of the eternal city. The impressive Colonna's Collections of paintings, sculptures and furniture from the 14th to the 18th century are unique and part of the roman history. The Colonna Gallery is open to the public every Saturday morning from 9 am to 1,15 pm (last entrance) from Via della Pilotta 17. All other days, including Saturday afternoon, private visits by appointment. Free guided tour (every Saturday): - in Italian at 10.00 And 11.00 Am - in French at 10.30 Am - in English at 12 am Private visits on request are available every day of the year. We also recommend a visit to the stunning Princess Isabelle Apartment with its incredible Van Wittel and Flemish Collections and the Pinturicchio frescoes.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We did not actually see the Galleria, which was crowded and the pictures difficult to see. However we made the tour of palace itself, which was really excellent!

1  Thank Eric H
"several languages"
"english speaking tour"
"entry fee"

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Make sure that you buy the extra ticket to see the Isabella apartments. Sure, it is expensive. But it is worth it just to see her drawing room itself. And this may not be able to be seen for long. Rome is a constant veiling and unveiling as a most knowledgeable professor of mine once said.

1  Thank randolph m
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Beautiful palace and outstanding variety of paintings, tapestries, sculptures, furniture, and other art. Well worth a visit. Make reservations in advance!

2  Thank RonO-in-CA
Reviewed 7 May 2014

It is hard to describe the beauty this hall displays. It is important to have an experienced guide to get the most of this facility and without a guide you may wait hours and never get in.This is one of the top 5 must sees.

1  Thank boxshop
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Only open on Saturday from 9-1:15 only. The Galleria is only a few rooms, but the large room is so spectacular it is worth a trip to Rome, by itself. The ceiling is fabulous in a class with the best I saw. The floors were lovely. The artwork, tables and lamps were wonderful. All together they were not only beautiful, but a tasteful, coherent package, as if someone had not only great wealth, but exquisite taste created it. I did not want to leave. Literally. I kept going back and forth across the very large space trying to fix into my permanent memory what I was seeing. We almost didn't go because we had to make a train to Venice that afternoon and we only had a couple of hours. My wife knew how upset I was because, as usual, we were taking an ungodly amount of time packing, and convinced me we should go, anyway. I went because I originally thought it would be a place my 90 year mother would love. And she did. Very much. thanked my wife for making me go, after all. I could see this place every day of my life and I do not believe I would be bored. And I bore very easily.

We did not see the Princess Isabella apartment, as I don't remember any mention of it being on the website when I planned this trip. Goes to show that you should always be reviewing the websites for places you are going to visit right before you leave. I have seen places close up, visiting days and hours change, parts of the venue closed for renovation and special exhibitions, etc. after I planned the trip and did not know until I actually went to the place on the trip, which is, obviously, a bummer. If we go back to Rome, we will go back to see the aprtment and the gallery, as well.

I should also mention that they were very nice there. A worker took us all the way around the block to where the elevator was and brought us up to the gallery, so my mother would not have to walk the stairs. He was very friendly and related some of the history of the family, which was very interesting.

This should be on your must see list for Rome!

4  Thank JJJC_Family