“Palazzo Farnese, Rome”

US$64.84*
Overview of Rome Private Tour
US$81.65*
and up
Full-Day Small-Group Sightseeing Tour of Rome With Pickup from Civitavecchia...
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We visited Palazzo Farnese on 26/03/2014 after booking on-line. We understood that there was the possibility of a room or two being closed. In fact everything was closed except the courtyard & the garden at the rear. The guide was very enthusiastic & knowledgeable but the tour was in Italian and lost on us. They should cancel the tours until the rooms re-open. At least we did get to see the magnificent Villa Borghese, Villa Farnesina & Doria Pamphilj

6  Thank Jack T

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I booked the tour online a month in advance with Inventer Rome. I didn't take my rucksack in case I wouldn't be allowed inside with it but I probably could have got in anyway. The arrangements all worked well and the young female guide was enthusiastic and very knowledgeable covering the history of the Farnese family, the architecture, the sculptures and frescoes. Very worth the 5 euro fee and although you don't get to see many rooms, those large ones that are open give a real sense of the power and wealth of the Farnese family. I took the French tour as I was not in Rome on the day of the English tour and my school French came back to me, but it is worth trying to get a tour in your own language if you can. Would be interested to try some of the other Inventer Rome tours now!

1  Thank LondonDolcevita
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were staying next door in the Residenza Hotel Farnese so a booking for this Palazzo was a must do for us. You have to book in advance on the website. Just Euro 5 per person.

We were booked for a 5pm tour and arrived at 4.50 as advised. You have to assemble outside and wait for the guide to come and check your tickets and passports. This building is the French Embassy, so security is tight. Our guide came out at 5.15 and went through the checking procedures. The majority of the assembled group of 23 was French with just a couple of us Brits.

Once inside bags were scanned, pockets emptied and cameras put away. No photos allowed for security reasons, which is a great shame because there seems to be no security issues with what you get to see.

The guide gave her commentary in Italian, which unfortunately seemed to be lost on the majority of us. If you choose to visit I would advise booking a tour that includes your language. Anyway we managed to pick up the gist of things. Fortunately we had been to the Baths of Caracalla the day before and had learnt that many of the objects and architectural features of the Farnese were heisted by the delightful Cardinal Farnese (later to become Pope Paul 3rd) from the old Roman Baths.

The highlights of the 40 minute tour for me were undoubtedly the huge statue of Hercules (from the Baths of Caracalla) and the wonderful fresco The Loves of the Gods painted by Carracci in the galleria. These magnificent fresco are worth the visit alone, so take your time and enjoy them. For some they rival the Sistine Chapel and I might agree.

You also get to see the garden and central courtyard but not much else. This could be because the building was undergoing renovations at the time of our visit. It was all over way too quick.

4  Thank KeithPyke
Reviewed 23 October 2013

What a jewel in Campo di Fiori! Small private tours are given daily of the French Embassy. You can book online. Don't be afraid to sign up for a Italian language tour -- just get in! They do fill up weeks in advance.

3  Thank santagaryfe
Reviewed 23 August 2013

On a recent trip to Rome I was determined to do something I've long wanted to do. A bit crazy I know, but I wanted to visit the locations of each of the three acts of Tosca, my favourite opera. Castel Sant 'Angelo (act 3) and the chiesa Sant Andrea della Valle (act 1) were easy enough but the Palazzo Farnese (act 2) is now the French embassy and for many years has been closed to the public. Now, however, visitors are admitted, but booking must be made in advance and be prepared to bring your passport along and go through airport style security on entering. It is an embassy after all. We joined the Wednesday evening group for an English guided tour. Our guide was delightful, very informative and had a great sense of humour as well as a deep love of history. The interior of the palazzo - the bits we were allowed to see - is spectacular. A beautiful example of high Renaissance architecture, with signs of Michelangelo's handiwork here and there and magnificent frescoes by Caracci. It was a shame that we were unable to take any photographs but I understand the need for security. If you love art and architecture - and opera! - then Palazzo Farnese ticks all the boxes, but hurry as I understand some of the more magnificent rooms will soon be closed to the public as they are about to undergo restoration.

2  Thank AllegraHampshire