“tour with Sophie”

Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome
Ranked #3 of 498 Shopping in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Elizabeth MInchilli in Rome offers intensely delicious food packed private experiences in Rome. Join professional food write Elizabeth Minchilli on a day long exploration of markets, food stores, wine bars, ice cream shops, chocolate makers and pizzerias. Make every bite count! Featured in The New York Times, Travel & Leisure and Food & Wine Magazine.
Reviewed 31 May 2017

Sophie led us on an eating tour of her favorite drop-in spots. While the food we tasted was good and her stories were fun, we felt the price we paid was quite high for what we received.

5  Thank NonFu
"molto"
in 10 reviews
"forno"

Reviewed 26 February 2017

Elizabeth's daughter, Sophie, gave us the tour. She was very engaging and knowledgeable. Our tour was more expensive than the typical group tour but it was just for us, and was semi-customized for us. Besides a general orientation, we were mostly interested in Sophie’s recommendations for food sources and restaurants in the neighborhood since we were in town for 3 weeks. Her advice was on point and we benefitted from it throughout our stay.

2  Thank egliz
Reviewed 21 December 2016

This November, my wife and I joined a small group for a week long food tour of Rome. Elizabeth Minchilli was our host, assisted by her daughter Sophie. The tour even included a lovely apartment in the Monti neighborhood. Elizabeth and Sophie took us to some of their favorite vendors and restaurants, all of which were fantastic. A special highlight was a visit to the American Academy in Rome which included a great lunch and tours of the main building, gardens and the 17th century Villa Aurelia. Elizabeth's deep knowledge and perspective as an expatriate and long time resident of Rome made the experience far richer than we expected. That, along with the great food, and the warmth and humor of her family made us want to immediately do the entire tour again!

ElizabethMInchilli, Owner at Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2016

Thanks so much for the great review! Although it seems like it was a long time ago (really only a few weeks!) I love seeing all the photographs you took while you were here on FB. I I hope you get a chance to come and join us again in the future. Maybe next time Umbria?! x,Elizabeth

Reviewed 5 December 2016

I had planned this trip for me and our adult daughter to celebrate a big birthday of mine. It was the trip of a lifetime (though I'm hoping for a repeat or three-peat). Having read Elizabeth's blog for more than a year, and invariably become hungry, envious and full of wanderlust, I chose her week-long food tour of Rome as the ultimate present to myself. The trip is infused with Elizabeth's and her daughter Sophie's deep knowledge and love of the Eternal City and everything--I mean--everything--that's good to eat and drink there. The itinerary seemed effortless but obviously reflects careful planning and exacting good taste. Our accommodations in the appealing and non-touristy Monti neighborhood were lovely, quiet, interesting, and within a stone's throw of the Coliseum and Roman Forum. Each day was full of discovery, beauty--and so much unforgettable eating and drinking. I'm so jealous of the next round of travelers who will spend a week in Rome with the Minchillis!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

Sophie, Elizabeth's daughter, gave us the market tour. She is passionate about food and it is obvious she is a true local. We enjoyed her insights and stories and felt that we saw things and tasted items only someone from the area would be aware of.

Her responsiveness and follow-up both prior to booking and post tour are excellent. She is a pleasure to spend time with.

If/when we return to Rome, we would book with Elizabeth or Sophie again. Don't bother considering any other food related tour.

ElizabethMInchilli, Owner at Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2016

I"m so glad you had a great time with Sophie!!! It's true, she is passionate about her city and I'm glad that you felt that as well.

If you'd like you can also leave Sophie a note on her TripAdvisor Page, Rome with Sophie.

Thanks!!! And come back soon!!