“Lovely hotel in posh neighbourhood; far from city centre.”
Review of Hotel Degli Aranci

Hotel Degli Aranci
Ranked #343 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My mother and I stayed here recently, and it is a truly lovely hotel in a posh, upperclass neighbourhood. Our room, #95, was small but attractively decorated. Roll down shutters and a good a/c unit ensured it was quiet and cool, although we did hear some noisy guests coming in late at night. There was a large tv, a small fridge fully stocked with the usual minibar drinks, and a safe in the closet. I found the bed to be too hard for my liking, so asked for a blanket to sleep on....which didn't really help either, but they did supply it. The bathroom was very big, and had every amenity you could ask for. We did find it quite dangerous, though, as the shower is one of those styles with no doors to control the water from spraying everywhere, and on marble floors that is extremely slippery. The garden was a lovely oasis of quiet to sit and read, and the other common areas were well appointed too. The breakfast offerings were extensive, and they would make you a cappuccino, espresso or hot chocolate on request, which was fantastic. We saw some guests complaining or being demanding, which was rather embarrassing since the staff were clearly working hard to make sure everyone had what they asked for. Armando, a concierge, was helpful with our bags and also when the phone wouldn't work. One of the front desk clerks, Georgia, was particularly helpful when our travel plans had to change, and she worked out the details for us. She also helped with transportation questions, which brings me to the main downfall of this hotel for tourists. It's too far away from everything! Sure, the neighbourhood is lovely, but it's almost a kilometre to walk to the nearest bus, train or tram (even further) stop. That might not sound like far, but after you've been sightseeing all day, and are footsore and exhausted, it is VERY far! Additionally, the closest train station, restaurants and grocery store were at the bottom of a long flight of stairs (76+). We usually don't stay right in the centre of town and we both walk A LOT when we travel, but this was very inconvenient for us. In short, I would recommend this hotel for people with a car or who don't mind staying far out from the sights. It is a four star, and deserves that classification. We felt we got our money's worth here for the service and quality of the establishment. But if you want to be in the centre of the action, and don't want to drag yourself home at the end of a long, hot day of sightseeing, look elsewhere. Also, book airport transfers yourself....we paid 48 EUR for a car and driver (Mercedes) from Fiumicino, and taxis cost the same....Degli Aranci charges 55 EUR for the same service!

Room Tip: #95 is right off the tiny parking area, which we found ok but others might not like. A bonus is that...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Thejourneygenie

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This was such a lovely hotel, I booked because of the reviews and wasn't disappointed. Rooms were very clean lovely hot tub, area very quiet and lovely places to eat. Would stay here again. Easy to get to the local station as we used the trains.

Room Tip: Very clean rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 nights at the Aranci and was quite pleased after having traveled from London and Paris. The prices are exceptionally reasonable for a 4 star hotel in Europe. If you think 125 cad or us a night will get you more then you need to seriously adjust your expectations or stay in some cheaper places and see what kind of amenities and services you get. Try it. The staff was very polite and outside of not having an item on the menu I ordered there was very little wrong. It's north of the heart of Rome and 5 minutes from the Euclide station or a 45 to 60 minute walk to most major spots. A nicer, quieter spot away from tourist traps. Good little gym open almost all day, free wifi and lovely clean rooms. Seriously if you cannot see the beauty in this lovely spot, go somewhere else.

3  Thank Spencer J
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Very good 4 star hotel.
- lovely area - accessible with busses every 15 mins.
- nicely decorated room - good size triple
- excellent breakfast with good service all round.

Couldn t faulted except two minor things
- bathroom in room 165 where we stayed had an unpleasant smell
- room a bit noisy at night - maybe bexause of the lift?

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alexandra Livia P
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I spent one night in this hotel during a business trip in Rome. I found an high quality hotel with a very professional staff (always more rare!).
The room was very well furnished and clean with a big and comfortable bed.
I suggest this hotel also for the position: Parioli area is very nice and not so far from the city center.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Luca R
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel has such a cheek - we had two reservations here for three nights, one was pre-paid, one was guaranteed by credit card, and since I knew my husband, son and friend, would be arriving around 9pm I even called the same morning, speaking to one Francesco on reception, who assured me that all is fine, never mind the late arrival... well you can guess the rest...
When my family arrived at the hotel, guess what? NO ROOMS AVAILABLE - double bookings was their answer - but not just one of the two rooms were unavailable but BOTH ROOMS HAD BEEN GIVEN TO OTHER CLIENTS. They offered another room in one of their chains but far far away, which of course being part of a sporting group who were staying in the hotel did not suit us..... and even the next day when they should have rectified the problem - the girl Isabella who I spoke to on the phone just said "sorry also today we will not have a room available". Frankly i'm still in shock but BE WARNED - this hotel doesn't honor either confirmed reservations or pre paid reservations. WHAT A DISGRACE.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank lovesgreathotels2
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Located in an elegant part of town. My room was small but cozy and v. clean. Avoid rooms in the basement if possible as they can be reached only via the elevator that is always very busy. Very standard but varied breakfast. Plus: there's a small gym available to guests from 7am to 9pm. The staff is professional and nice. I cannot comment on the price as I was on a business trip and the room was paid for.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business