“Average stay and I'm surprised so many people have rated this hotel as excellent”

Capo d'Africa Hotel
Ranked #76 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Pros/Likes:
- Fast check-in and check-out (but read about the extra room key incident below)
- Nice room with comfortable bed
- Good size bathroom with a bidet, always fun to have
- Big screen TV with multiple channels in many languages, including a channel from Cuba!
- In-room robes/sandals
- Free in-room wi-fi
- Extra space in the mini-bar to place your own beverages
- Gorgeous terrace (roof) with views of the city
- Fixed-fee four-course dinner option featuring Rome specialties in the restaurant for 35 euros was very good (but read about coke price below)
- There were several places to eat nearby (but there are places to eat all over Rome)
- Restaurant staff was super nice

Cons/Dislikes:
- I requested an extra key at check-in, which was refused. Later that same day, I left my key in the room so had to request another key when I came back.
- The view from my room was into an inside courtyard with a residential look, including clotheslines with clothes hung to dry
- No door eye to see who's knocking on the door
- No in-room coffee/tea
- No in-room iron
- Bathroom had no box of tissues; instead just two packets with three tissues each
- Asked for hair conditioner and soap thrice (twice one day and then the next day when they were finally delivered)
- Coke was 5 euros in the restaurant!
- Front-desk staff was moody and at times seemed angry
- The worst: The air conditioner did not function properly during the first half of my stay (the problem was fixed midway through my stay.) I asked that someone came in to explain how to regulate it, they sent a bellman who did not know and said he would send an engineer who never came. Then I find out that the hotel has a/c hours according to the time of the year. During my stay, a/c was only operational 7-10 am and 4-11:30 pm; regular air comes out during the other times. I could not leave the window open because people could get in as it was on the first floor. The average temperature in Rome was 80F/27C during the day and 60F/16C at night so the room felt stuffy most of the time.

Neutral:
- Hotel is located in a residential area (though there is another hotel across the street); 8-10 minute walk to the Colosseum and nearest metro station, which is next to the Colosseum. The Colosseum can only be seen from the hotel terrace, not from the rooms, and only the top can be seen.
- Breakfast buffet was average with the same cold options (cereal, pastries, fruit) and hot options (eggs, bacon, sausage) and was included in the room rate; otherwise it's 15 euros.

Miscellaneous:
- Decent exercise room but did not use
- No pool; no spa

Impression:

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MBWorldTraveller
Alessandra L, Direttore at Capo d'Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and while we are pleased to read that the most part of your comments are positive, like for example free WI-FI, L’Attico Bistrot service and food and so on , we are sorry to hear that your overall experience did not meet your expectations. Like most hotels, we offer different types of rooms ranging from Superior– which you booked for your stay – through to Premier Rooms which have free coffee and tea facilities and minibar ( coke, beer and in general soft drinks are included).
I’m happy to inform you that from May 26th air condition is available 24 hours.
We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back at which time we will spare no effort in providing you with the perfect stay.
Best regards,
Alessandra Laterza
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I booked 24 rooms here for a conference being held just two blocks from the hotel. My guests and I were very happy with the accommodations. All the staff, from front desk, to bar, to breakfast room, were helpful and friendly. The manager went above and beyond to prepare our rooms early, hours before actual check in, because most of our travelers were arriving in the morning and hoped to check in, shower and head for the conference. The rooms are small but I think average-sized for a European hotel. The rooms and hallways are carpeted which helps with hallway noise.

Room Tip: "Superior" rooms are the standard, smallest room, located on the first floor. "Delux...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Pros : Good Location just five minutes walk from the Colosseum and the Colosseo metro station Attentive & friendly staff, yummy breakfast on the roof top, big and clean rooms.

Cons : No cons found for this hotel.

In general very satisfied and would definitely recommend to anyone!! :)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

On our first trip to Europe, we went on a tour by Orbridge. They booked us for 3 nights at this hotel which is very close to the Colosseum. Upon arrival in the early afternoon, the front desk staff offered to make reservations for dinner for us. he warned us of how busy the restaurants get on the weekend. We're glad we took him up on his offer. We later asked for help with a place for lunch. He called ahead to make sure there was an outdoor table that could accommodate us. The restaurants were nothing to write home about, but at least we were not those poor souls standing in line, waiting hours for a table. The room was substantially smaller than the one we had in Florence, but it sufficed.

The front desk staff also provided great maps of the area, which turned out to be invaluable as we navigated the subway system to get to the Vatican.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great staff, from check--in to room cleaning onward. Breakfast room staff were especially good: salutes to Giuliana and Luigi, with their welcoming "Buon Giornos" and unending cups of capuchinos.

And don't forget the wonderful re-creation at night of the breakfast room into the L'Attico restaurant, where Josef and Elizabeth are marvelous in recommend and explaining the offerings. Don't miss the "Menu Roma" in either meat or fish version. Splendid!

We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Capo d'Africa street can be noisy if the windows are open at night, but the air con...
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed in 4 hotels during my recent trip to Italy and this hotel was my least favorite. Located by the Coliseum, it's a good spot if you wish to get away from the hustle and bustle, but if you're planning on going to anything else in Rome, you need transportation each day. We chose the hop on/hop off Green Line Bus and it was fine, but I would have been happier a bit closer into the city.
Compared to all of the other hotels my husband and I stayed at during our trip, the "Premium Room" we got was quite small. We worked it out, but some things were not enjoyable. The bathroom is tiny. One person at a time for sure. Good water pressure but you have to keep adjusting the temperature throughout your shower. Also, when you get the perfect temp. coming out of the faucet and pull to send through the shower head, jump back. It starts cold and takes awhile to get to the temp. so carefully chosen.
Their is no turn-down service. Not a big deal, but the hotel room wasn't cleaned as well as I would have liked. I left an empty glass water bottle to be thrown away rather than filling the little trash can fully. It wasn't removed. I left some threads I had to clip from clothing on the bedside table and they were still there after the room was "cleaned".
The a/c has no markings other than plus and minus. We were freezing and asked how to adjust it. We were told there is a very small difference and the suggestion was that we turn it off if we were too cold. My husband likes the room cold enough to hang meat (IMHO) and it was even too cold for him. It was close to 80 degrees F. during the day in Rome, so we came back to a hot, damp room if we left it off. We tried opening the window, etc., nothing really worked well. We finally left it on all day while we were out, turned it off the minute we entered and then turned it back on when we slept. We still were too cold but it was better than too hot.
On our last morning, since we were heading to the train station and it was raining, I called down and asked to have a taxi called. A few moments later we checked out and no cab came. The girl called again and the driver said it was the first call he got. We nearly missed our train due to rain and traffic. All other hotels were much more helpful.
Kudos to the morning buffet staff. They were caring and delightful.
We were in Italy for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and the hotel sent up a nice bottle of Proseco for us. Very kind.
If you prefer to stay out of the hustle and bustle, this is a great location. The rooms are a bit small but workable, but I our overall experience wasn't great. So -- puzzled by all the great reviews.???

Room Tip: If you can afford something above premium it might be ok, but our room really wasn't great. I w...

Dear Jo-Ellen A,
thank you for your candid feedback. I am so sorry to learn that our location (Colosseum area) and our room didn't meet your expectations. As we take your feedback seriously, in order to enhance our physical product and service, I made a small investigation and I checked that you bought a Superior room and not a Premier room which is bigger than a Superior ones, in fact you stayed at the room n. 307. I regret for the small inconveniences you had with water temperature and air condition. We would have been happy to move you to a different room if we would have known how displeased you were.
With reference to the turn-down service, our hotel provides this service to all typologies of room. We checked that only the last night you did not have the service because you were in the room till 8.30 p.m. and the room did not want to bother you. For the other two nights, the room maid entered your room in the afternoon. However, I apologize if you did not find the room clean as well as you have liked and thank you very much for writing me, because I have passed your comment to the involved department.
Our Front Desk agents are really attentive and they use to call the taxi by the automatically system given us by the taxi company which releases a ticket, in fact the girl you mentioned has called by phone in order to understand why the taxi wasn’t come and to solicit the driver. Sorry for the inconvenience you had with rain and traffic in Rome. It is wonderful, however, to hear that you appreciated our morning buffet staff.
Please let us know the next time you travel to Rome as we would like to ensure that you have a better time than you did on your first visit.
Best regards,
Alessandra Laterza
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My twin and I were booked here on a break by my son and daughter in law for our 60th birthday. The hotel is a five minute walk from the Metro and Colosseum which you can see from the breakfast terrace and ideal for all other activities.

We were booked into a Deluxe room however, on arrival we were immediately upgraded to a Premier room. What a brilliant hotel - staff were exceptional - breakfast excellent - everything you could want full cold and some hot buffet. We ate in the restaurant on one of our evenings and although the menu is limited the food was to die for! The 'Terazzo' bar served excellent food on a simpler scale. Our only (small) concern was that the bathroom is small - the door opened onto the bidet and left very little room for moving around. However, that said it was beautiful and well equipped with all the necessary toiletries etc. Overall we would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family