River Palace Hotel
US$429
US$408
Travelocity
2,603 results
All reviewshalf price drinkspiazza del popolospanish stepsfree bar snacksflaminio metro stationdeluxe roomwithin walking distancepastriesrooms are smallturn down serviceevery eveningclassic roomtrevi fountainan upgradelovely hotelhotel barfirst floor
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Great value in very a convenient location in Rome! Rooms were the typical small style you come to expect in Europe but were very cozy and nicely furnished. The street the hotel is located is right by the Metro and a very popular plaza in Rome but was remarkably quiet(you could even keep the window open) . The staff were very nice and helpful. Opt for the Celebration Package if it is available. With this pacakage you get picked up at the airport, a beautiful 5 course meal with wine and a very nice breakfast buffet. They also upgrade your room which offers a bit more room. There is a nice bar for cocktails in the lobby. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DaveG123
Reviewed 13 January 2008

WE stayed here in February 2006. Excellent hotel, centrally located with attentive staff. Walking distance to the central tourist areas, very close to the best shopping in Rome and to the Vatican

1  Thank Eurotraveller2007
Reviewed 4 January 2008

We booked this hotel through Expedia and got a great rate. We booked for a standard room and we were able to upgrade to a deluxe room for an extra 20 Euro per night. Good thing we did - we saw both rooms and the regular room is very small. It did have a great view of Rome though. The deluxe room was much bigger with a big bathroom and a nice tub.
Overall this is a great hotel, however I didn't love it. A few things troubled me.
1) We arranged to have a car pick us up @ the airport through the hotel. The car never showed and when we complained at the hotel, they insisted that it was out fault. After some arguing, they agreed not to charge us. Ridiculous, as it was their fault.
2) Even though we had arranged for the upgrade before we checked in, they still assigned us to a standard room. We had to show them the email confirming the upgrade before they would move us.
3) The elevators in this hotel are crazy. You have to take an elevator to the 2nd floor and then you have to take another elevator to floors 2-8. The second elevator is tiny and can only get 4 people max in it. There was always a line waiting for the elevator. When we moved rooms, we moved to the second floor so we could just walk up and down the stairs.
4) Breakfast was okay, but one day we ate late and observed something odd. Breakfast closed at 10:30 and by 10:15 the staff was guarding the pastries. At exactly 10:30 they slammed the breakfast door shut and took all of the pastries for themselves, even though there were still guests in the breakfast room eating.
5) The front desk was useless when it came to tourist attractions. Thank goodness we had been to Rome before and had a blackberry with us! They gave us all the wrong times for attractions and a few times I had to tell them that there opening and closing days were incorrect. If you stay here, double check all of of their information.
6) The bar staff was rude. And this is the only place in all of Italy that Ihave been served a drink without so much as a peanut. The bartender looked put out at all times.
7) the hotel is loud. If you try to sleep past 9 you hear the room doors slamming every 10 minutes while the maids clean it. Annoying.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay. There are lots of nice touches here - it is very close to the Spanish Steps. The Godiva turn down service and the welcoming chocolates were lovely. The bathroom amenities were nice. And for the money it was a great stay. It's just has some quirks that could be easily fixed. It seems like their staff needs to go back to school to learn hospitality though!
I would stay here again, but only if I couldn't get something else at the same rate somewhere else in Rome.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Stephlovestravel
Reviewed 3 January 2008

I have just got back from an amazing 4 days in Rome. I went for New Years celebration and for my mum's 50th birthday with my family and boyfriend.
We arrived at the hotel at 2.00 pm and we had a drink in the bar area which was so clean and spacious. We went to our rooms, and although they were slightly small, it was the nicest room I've stayed in. The decor was beautiful, it had everything we needed, a gorgeous bathroom, and the maid brought you boxes of chocolates every afternoon which were delicious!
They made it a very special stay for my mum's birthday and were generally very nice and helpful! They even let me practise my songs on the grand piano as I was singing one of the nights!
Breakfast was fantastic, location was brilliant, and I would definately consider staying here on y 3rd trip to Rome.
I hav stayed in many 4 and 5* hotels around the world, and this was one of the best.

Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank KGJB
Reviewed 3 January 2008

A really good hotel for a reasonable price in Rome. In fact I don't think we could've found anywhere better for the money we paid. The finish of the hotel was to a really high standard, the reception staff, concierge, bar staff, in fact nearly all staff we encountered couldn't be more helpful.
The turndown service with chocolates and the weather forecast for the next day was a nice touch.
The location is excellent. Within minutes of a metro stop and a 10 minute stroll at most to the Spanish Steps.
The only downside was that the service at breakfast was a bit hit and miss. However certainly not bad enough to be a major concern and the food was of a good standard.
All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Rome.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple