“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #45 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Stayed here for 7 nights at the beginning of August and were very grateful for the airconditioning! Staff very helpful & a great location for sight seeing. Rooms were a bit small, but clean & tidy. Loved the chocolates at night with the weather report. Breakfasts was plentiful with a wide variety of cakes, cereals etc.

Can highly recommend the restaurant across the road, which was recommended by the hotel. Suggestion for those visiting the Vatican, check if it is open the day you want to go & if visiting in peak tourist times, get there by at least 7:30am. I arrived at 07:50 and the queue was already long with a 1 hour wait to get in. If you do arrive late, use the local tour to get in it (they're the ones walking up and down the line), costs an extra 25 Euro but is worth not having to stand in the queue in the heat.

• Liked — Chocolates & airconditioning
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Greek first
Oxford
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Really friendly staff - went out of their way to help us. Really good breakfast, always well stocked and fresh. Great location in Rome - really close to all the sights (particularly spanish steps and trevi fountain). Rooms were small but big enough for their purpose, cleaned daily with fresh linen - the little chocolates on the pillow and daily weather predictions were a nice touch! Well worth its price, really cannot find a bad work to say, thanks!

• Liked — Friendly staff
Belfast
Reviewed 6 August 2008

My wife and I stayed at the River Palace for four nights to celebrate my wife's birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary. This a real gem of hotel. It is well maintained and spotlessly clean. The breakfasts were well above average. Its reception and bar areas are very impressive - althought he bar is a little pricey. Having seen the reviews about the size of the rooms I upgraded to a de-lux room - a good call and I would reccomend doing so.The rooms are beautifuly decorated and complimented by the classic ensuites. The staff are very friendly,thoughtful and helpful. The evening turndown service acompanied by a little box of chocolates and the next days weather forecast were nice touches. Its perfectly located close to Metro/trams/buses and also within walking distance of a number of the major attractions. My wife received a beautiful book on Rome on her birthday. This is a unique little hotel and stands head and shoulders above the bigger chains offerings. It is one of the best hotels I have used and I would recommend it unreservedly. I certainly intend to return.

• Liked — The decor of the room & ensuite
  • Disliked — Only CNN available in English
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I booked the River Palace Hotel through Thomson City Breaks and was really impressed with the hotel.

Before making the booking I checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor and also booked a tour of the Vatican through Presto Tours which I can highly recommend.

The room was fine but the bathroom was on the small side, but how much of your holiday do you spend in the bathroom!!!

The room was very clean and I liked the chocolate left on your pillow every evening, a very nice touch.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would recommend this hotel to family and friends, and I am sure I wil return in the future.

• Liked — Excellent Location
Virginia
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We arrived in Rome after 20 hours of travel with our 2 teenagers. We had contacted the hotel for an early check-in (we were arriving at 11:30 or 12 and check-in wasn't until 3). They told us that if we had wanted early check-in, we should have booked the room for the previous night. Ok, well, that's understandable, they can't know when the people who have the room before us will actually check out, even though I am more accustomed to hotels making at least some allowance for earlier arrivals.
We also arranged for an airport transfer through the hotel concierge. We thought that after 20 hours of travel, we would be in no condition to figure out the best way to get to the hotel. It was EU$80 but we considered it worth it. Well, we arrived exactly on time, but there was no driver there to get us. We waited at the doors just outside of baggage claim for 20 minutes, with no driver. We finally decided to take a taxi. Imagine our surprise when we were checking out of the hotel and the clerk informed us that they were expecting us to pay for the airport transfer. Of course we refused to pay for a service we didn't receive, but they charged my credit card without my authorization. Now I will have to go through the whole dispute process with my credit card company. It was definitely not worth all of the hassle I will have to deal with now!

• Liked — The bellman was extremely friendly
  • Disliked — Maximillian
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank MNCFOX
Hull
Reviewed 16 July 2008

My husband took me to Rome for my 40th and what a fantastic weekend we had. The hotel was gorgeous, had to wait about an hour for our room to be ready, which wasn't a problem we had a drink at the bar and chatted to the friendly staff.
The room was small which we expected from previous reviews, but it was very compact and comfortable and of course it was lovely to have your bed folded back with a box of Godiva chocolates every night.
Hotel was in a great location, staff were very friendly and helpful and I even received a small present for my birthday. Some great cocktails at the bar. All in all we had a wonderful time and would definitley go back.

• Liked — Very clean, ornate, and friendly staff
Kaiserslautern
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We stayed three nights and it was fantastic, in fact it may have been one of the best hotels I have stayed at in Europe. Truly nice staff that helped us with dinner reservations, tours and any other info we needed. Our room was not ready when we arrived, we arrived about three hours prior to check-in time, but we waited only 15 minutes and were shown to our room, bags waiting for us in the room. We chose the standard room, with a queen bed. It was quaint, definitely not large, but it was comfortable, clean and air conditioned. There is a nice bar in the hotel and the breakfast was very good. On Friday and Saturday night they had a wonderful piano player, very nice to relax while having a drink at the bar before going out for dinner.

It is only two blocks from Flamini Metro station and two minutes from Piazza di Popolo. It really can't be beat for the location and definite class of this hotel. I have stayed elsewhere in Rome and you cannot do much better than this. A bad hotel can wreck a great vacation, this one truly enhanced it ours.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing