“Wouldn't return. There must be better”
Review of River Palace Hotel

River Palace Hotel
Ranked #44 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 25 April 2014

First the good part. The staff is friendly and accommodating.
The room we had is the smallest room I've ever been in. Couldn't get two people in the bathroom at the same time. The bed was uncomfortable and the sheets felt like sand paper. I wouldn't Reccomend it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paris c
There are newer reviews for River Palace Hotel

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just been on a 4 day trip to Rome this hotel was in a perfect location the staff could not have been more helpful it was very clean and we couldnt find anything to complain about and would recommend it

Room Tip: Its worth upgrading classic rooms a little small
1  Thank Ann H
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here during a short break to Rome. I have visited Rome many times for business but this is the first time we have been together. We arranged collection from FCO airport by the hotel. It was only slightly more expensive then taking a taxi and was nice to be met and not have to struggle far with bags.
When we arrived we were offered a suite for a small upgrade price. It had a balcony with lovely views over the city. It had a spa bath which did not work so they moved us to another room.
The hotel is spread over two buildings which meant some walking down corridors and using two lifts to find rooms. All the rooms are traditionally furnished and very comfortable. Ours was always clean and well cared for. Breakfast is a typical European buffet with plenty of choice including both meats and fresh fruit. Every evening the bar provides snacks and has an “Happy Hour” from 6pm until late when drinks are reduced and much cheaper than those in bars outside so it makes a really nice end to a day. The staff are all really friendly and do what they can to help you.
The hotel is in a great location; we walked everywhere and saw all of the main sites. It took us about 30 minutes to walk to the Vatican and a similar walk to the Coliseum which frames most of the main tourist sites in the city. The hotel is just outside the Piazza del Popolo and near to the Borghese Gardens. The Piazza is a nice place to stroll around in the evening and there are a range of street entertainers to watch. On the other side of the Piazza from the hotel there are two “salt and pepper pot” churches and three streets heading off towards the city. All three streets are a comfortable walk and the side streets between them are a maze of typical Italian streets with shops, bars and restaurants in them at lower prices than those on the main streets and around the Piazza.
Overall it was a great stay and my wife now understands why I love Rome so much.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the internal courtyard are quieter.
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Hotel located steps from Piazza del Popolo. It is well located and there is a metro in the corner.
It 's 5 minutes walk from Spanish Steps and 2 minutes from Via del Corso.
The staff is great, always trying to help you and the provide great customer service.
In the bar there is a Happy Hour from 5 to 10 pm, this is a good option if you don't decide to go out.
The rooms are not big enough, but for Europe Standards are ok.
I would return.

Room Tip: Not close to the elevator
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Santp29
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Lovely hotel. We stayed at the beginning and end of our trip to Italy. The standard room bath is tiny, but we upgraded to the next level, and it was fine. My only complaint was the lack of light in the bathroom.
The staff was quite helpful and eager to please. The lobby/bar was lovely in the evening for a respite from the rigors of the day and a way to meet other guests to share experiences and tips.
While I am not a big breakfast eater, it was quite nice. Don't miss the Nutella tarts; to die for if you go for that sort of thing. I do!
Loved the location as it was out of the main touristy areas, but still accessible to the sights or just wandering to discover hidden gems off the main streets.
My one piece of advice is to let them get you a private car to the airport. It would have been cheaper or close enough to make it less stressful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tlpmap
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here for three nights. I had booked a standard small room but upon check in they showed me a large room which I upgraded to for a modest additional charge. The rooms are not overly large, that's typical for Europe. Everything was clean, beds comfortable, separate walk-in type shower pods, the wifi and TV worked well, the TV satellite programming may have had more channels than I've seen in any hotel.

My room was on the first floor facing the street, there was a little bit of noise from the street car outside, not bad though. There was also a little more noise than expected from guests walking around in the halls but again this wasn't a major problem.

I thought the breakfast buffet was very good, a nice selection of eggs, meats, fruit, and pastries. For a small-ish hotel it's really done quite well.

Location is very good, a 2 minute walk to the Flaminio metro stop at Piazza Del Popolo, 10 or 15 minutes walk to the Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain, maybe 25 minutes walk or a quick Metro ride to the Vatican. Very good access to Termini station, you can exit the hotel and be at Termini in ten minutes using the Metro.

My only complaint is that I arrived at about 10:30 a.m. due to an early arriving flight and the staff simply told me to come back at 2 p.m. at check in time rather than making an effort to find a room sooner or offering to call or text me when a room was ready, etc. But other than that everything about this place was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We carefully chose this hotel because it looked typically Italian and seemed in a good location, a little bit away from the main attractions of Rome. The hotel was as good as we had hoped, with welcoming staff and lovely decor throughout. We were shown our room and an upgrade but decided that as we would be out sightseeing all day, the upgraded wasn't needed. The breakfasts were really good with lots of choice served by helpful, friendly staff. In fact all staff throughout the hotel were first class. Our room was quite small but had everything we needed, with our bed turned down every night with chocolates left. The only gripe was the small shower which was not suitable for my 6' 4'' husband. We were told that there is a refurbishment planned so hopefully this will be addressed. We weren't too keen on the firm mattresses but appreciate you can't please everyone and it didn't spoil our stay. We were very happy where the hotel was located, 5 minutes to Piazza del Popolo, 15 minutes to the Trevi Fountain, 20 minutes to the Pantheon but in a quiet area away from the crowds. Public transport was just metres from the hotel but we preferred to just meander through the streets, taking a different route each day where possible to see as much of the city as we could in our limited time in Rome. The hotel was immaculate and well deserves it's 4 star rating.

2  Thank Louise H