“Fantastic hotel!”
Review of Hotel Giuliana

Hotel Giuliana
Ranked #133 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from 5-8 December and absolutely loved it. Location is superb, less than 10 minutes from Termini station and within 15 minutes of the colosseum, spanish steps, trevi fountain. We only had to take the bus once to the catacombs everything else we walked to with no problems. Room was spotless and cleaned every day. Breakfast was tasty and there was a good selection of croissants, cereals, fruits, yoghurts, the staff were absolutely lovely and so helpful. All in all a superb trip and a fantastic little hotel- we will definitely be returning and recomending this hotel to family and friends! Thank you for making our trip so memorable!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank KayleighH1988
There are newer reviews for Hotel Giuliana

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We completed a cruise that ended in Rome and on the way in from the port I realized that I had left my wedding rings in our stateroom. When we reached the hotel after an hour and fifteen minute ride, I was frantic to get in touch with the cruise line, which was still in port. Marianna was on duty and she helped us tremendously in trying to place our calls, however, all of the numbers we were given "in case of emergency" to get in touch with the ship did not work. It was a good hour of total frustration. Marianna finally suggested contacting the Port Authority and she found an English speaking agent to whom I gave the information and she said she would get a message to the ship. This being accomplished we left to have lunch, drink some wine and see Rome. Upon our return, Marianna was so excited to give me the news that my rings had been recovered. She was almost as happy as I was! The hotel is small and quaint and I think a very good value for the money. Our room was a corner so we had street noises from two sides, which were not annoying at all. In the morning is was fun to listen to the vendors putting up their tents and stocking them for the day's trade. Our bathroom was small with a square shower with a shower curtain, and the floor did get wet. However, our friends had a room with a much larger bath with a tub and shower, a bidet and toilet and a sink with a large counter. So, there are choices. Breakfast was very good with coffee, juices, pastries, yogurt and fruit available. The location is only a 10 minute walk to Termini where you can also pick up many sightseeing buses and there are many excellent restaurants within a short walk. The staff is happy to make recommendations so you will find what you are looking for. The lift (or cage) getting up to the first floor was charming - right out of an old movie. I would definitely stay at Hotel Giuliana again and I am forever grateful to Marianna and her help in recovering my rings.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank V6933RRSusan_S
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I booked this hotel based on the reviews and the proximity to Termini. We are not super active people and we were able to walk to Termini in about 10 minutes at a nice pace. When we checked in the female attendant was nice enough. The night man was much more pleasant. I requested a room with a view and she obliged. We had a room with beautiful shutter windows that looked out onto the street. For some this may be a problem, but for us, we loved it. It was nice to go back to the room at night and still hear the chatter going on outside or to wake up in the morning to people going about their way to work or opening up their shops. Never once felt in unsafe in this neighborhood. The balcony is smally than some of the pictures lead me to believe. Breakfast was ok. It did the job of keeping us over til lunch.
As reported in other reviews, the showers and shower curtains make it impossible to not get the bathroom floor wet. Another thing was that our shower had mold. I have read about it in other reviews but we decided to live with it as we only used the room for a few hours each night for 2 nights to sleep. We were out discovering Rome for much of the day to even really care. Now, if we came here to relax and get away from it all, then it would have been a problem.
So the real question is would we stay here again? Probably because of the price point and location, but I would speak up about the mold. If there wasn't a problem with the mold in our bathroom, then I will give it an extra star (or point or whatever TA considers their little bubbles).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ttdesanchez
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The location of the hotel is very good being close to the Metro, main station, decent restaurants and markets. The service was outstanding from all staff. But this is where it ends - we asked for another room instead of the triple superior room as the bathroom was so run down. We ended up staying in a standard double room out of choice as it was in a marginally better state - I couldn't list all the issues within the character limits. With exception to the building entrance and lift which truly add character, the hotel needs a significant overhaul.

It is a self-proclaimed two star hotel which is accurate and acceptable if the cost was accordingly. It is ironic that I ended up discussing with one of the owners (who never I knew was so at the time) how Rome was cheaper than London - certainly from a hotel perspective a hotel of this grade wouldn't have cost us this much in London.

At the time of writing, there were less than 100 hotels in Rome that were ranked higher in Tripadvisor - based on service and location alone this would be spot on. However, overall it is hard to believe that there are nearly 1200 hotels in Rome that are worser. A gentle reminder to others that Tripadvisor ranking and reviews are subjective and not objective hence why this hotel is heavily overrated for the cost. Too much emphasis on service quality means this hotel will always be in demand despite its significant shortcomings - being helpful and friendly is far cheaper than to renovate.

Our mistake was to follow Tripadvisor rankings too analytically - there are certainly better hotels for less cost.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sheikh2013
HotelGiuliana, Owner at Hotel Giuliana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry that you were dissatisfied. May I suggest that should you visit Rome again, that you select a higher category hotel.

You will recall that whilst you and your family were having breakfast, I was there with a couple from Sweden who said that they had stayed at our hotel 7 times!

Kind Regards
Jean Bantleman

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My wife and I visited Rome in October from the 17th to the 26th and after researching on Trip Advisor decided to stay at Hotel Giuliana. We found the hotel to be very central for our purposes and in easy walking distance to all that we wished to see. Our room was located facing internally onto the central atrium and we found it very quiet, clean and airy. The breakfast was a good continental breakfast with excellent coffee. There are many restaurants in the area for a quick meal as well as some really good Trattorias for that good Italian cuisine. The Hotel met all our expectations and needs and provided an excellent ten-day stay. The staff were the cherry on the top being the most helpful and wonderful group we have met at any hotel, everyone, Jean, Marianna, Antonio, Ashwin, Federico and Marilyn going out of there way to help and advise on trips, eating, bookings, directions and any advise required. We would definitely go back to this establishment when visiting Rome

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RYBIE
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at the hotel in early September 2013. We had a fantastic trip, the hotel is very close to the city centre, within easy walking distance to the forums, Colosseum, circus maximus, train and bus station etc. The hotel is perfect and could not fault anything at all, we stayed in room 4 for a week and had every amenity we could need. comfortable bed, TV, good shower, safe etc. We were on the front of the hotel overlooking the road on the first floor of a lovely old building, no problems at all with traffic noise or anything. Breakfast was continental style and was great for us to get some food before heading out and exploring Rome.

Everybody working in the hotel was fantastic and very friendly, always willing help and offer opinions on places to visit etc. Within a few hundred metres of the hotel there are some very nice restaurants and bars.

We had an amazing time in an amazing city, and the hotel was fantastic and couldnt have asked for more. Already planning our next trip back and no doubt will be staying at the Giuliana.

Neil and Emma.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Neil S
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Within walking distance from the train station. A lot of walking to get to tourist sites from this location. Some good restaurants nearby. Hotel furniture was in need of updating. Hotel staff were nice. Breakfast was okay. We had a very standard room and street noise was an issue. Rating for this hotel on Trip Advisor were not in line with our experience. Get a room upgrade if you stay here.

Room Tip: Watch the extra charges: extra for air conditioning and Wifi.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple