“Best week of my life!!”

Ranked #75 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
Guttenberg, New Jersey
“Best week of my life!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I recently spent a week in Rome with my lovely girlfriend. We searched on countless sites for the best deal possible, not just a cheap price -- but the best value for our money. I had never been to a B & B before and I initially wanted to stay at a major chain hotel because I thought it had the best value for us. This option was considerably much cheaper and we decided to take a chance.

Absolutely amazing!! Before we even got there, the gentleman who runs the B & B Calamatta was excellent with organizing a shuttle service to pick us up from FCO airport. We could not have asked for a better location and furthermore Valerio is extremelyyyy helpful and even suggests his own itineraries and locations to see. In fact Valerio is the absolute best thing this B & B has to offer. But let me qualify that for a moment ...

Price is absolutely amazing, a good amount cheaper than the chain hotels i was looking into.
Location is perfect, no more than 15 mins from Vatican City, and 1 short block away from one of the bridges that crosses the nearby river, so its really easy to make your way back. the service is impeccable -- great breakfasts everyday right to your door and they change it up daily a bit for variety. The rooms are cleaned wonderfully everyday so by the time you return from a long walking trip around Rome, you have a clean comfy place to return to. I informed them that my trip was a romantic one for me and my girlfriend and they decorated the room with flowers for me. Sleep quality was amazing, the area is not noisy at all, no late night pubs or restaurants within hearing distance, just peaceful and tranquil until the next morning. Also, great wifi service -- which was important to me because of work emails.

I can not say enough great things about this place ... and still ... stillllll after all of that Valerio is the best part of it all. He will take care of anything and everything that you may need, he stays down hall on the same floor where i stayed and he was available almost 24/7 for anything i needed help with. He helped me plan out a special dinner for me and my girlfriend and suggested amazing places that we probably wouldnt have seen without his input. And to top it all off, on the last day he suggested a bus shuttle that would take me to the airport for much cheaper than the shuttle service we came in on -- and he helped me take my luggage to the bus stop. All around amazing guy, extremely helpful and courteous. Definitely made the trip that much better and more enjoyable.

you would be doing yourself a disservice if you plan on going to Rome and staying anywhere else. 5/5

i know i am most assuredly going to stay there again when i get the chance to revisit Rome!!

Room Tip: me and my girlfriend got the private double room, i would highly recommend it, i dont know how their...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

The best part of the Calamatta B&B for me was the fantastic location. A stones throw from the Vatican, old Rome, the Spanish Steps.

That said, the small B&B was clean, comfortable, amazingly quiet given its central Rome location (one of my most important attributes in large cities). Valerio was a pleasure - available to answer our questions.

While the breakfast was more than adequate, the fantastic cafe near on the river (2 minutes away) was premium.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. The inn is tiny and all rooms are equivalent. There is also a one bedroom apart...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Four of us ( two couples ) spent five nights in this little B and B. It is very, clean, quiet, comfortable and located in a perfect area ( walking distance ) to just about everything in Rome.The rooms are quite large with very spacious bathrooms. The owner, Valerio was very helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay amazing. By the way, when you book your stay, be sure to ask about Fabrizio for transportation service to and from the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dana B
Aviano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We had to arrive one day later than scheduled and we weren't charged for the night (as many other places in Rome do). Located quite close (walking distance) to many of the major sites. Our room was bigger than a friend's who paid 3x as much for a night, but it is a quaint B&B.

Front desk was extremely friendly and gave wonderful advice for places to eat and visit. For the price, location and service this place is a great choice!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ely C
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and we had the most incredible stay and all thanks for this goes to Valerio. During our stay we were looking for a flat in Rome as we were studying at the university and Valerio did everything he could to help and gave some fantastic advice, there was nothing he wouldn't help with. When we first arrived seeing how much luggage we had he swapped as into a larger room as he said we would be more comfortable, which we absolutely were. He would be always be available via email and in the reception area to help. A perfect example of this was when we wanted to stay for an extra night on the Thursday at short notice, he replied quickly with a positive response and when we needed to find accommodation for the Friday night as he did not have a room (no surprise with how great the B&B is!!) he found as a brilliant hotel just down the road for a great price and he did this all for us. The Friday morning at check out he accompanied us to our next hotel and carried our luggage and even waited to make sure we were settled OK.
I would recommend this B&B to anyone staying in Rome, if you need more than the brilliant staff then the room itself was lovely and the location is brilliant for tourists, just a 5 minute walk to the Spanish steps and the other way the Vatican city is close by. And Valerio is very helpful in suggesting ideas for tourist activities and restaurants, providing you with a map and labelling on your map the must do things. I could not recommend this B&B more and if we need to stay again in accommodation in Rome this will certainly be where we would stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa W
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We enjoyed staying B&B Calamatta!!
I'm sure that I'll recommend my friends stay there if they go to Rome.
After we go to the building, Valerio gave us a lot of helpful information like which place we should go, where the bus stop is, which restaurant opens at the time because we arrived at Rome on Sunday, and so on.
He was very kind. Also when we told him that we were going to sightsee with big bags, he allowed us to leave our big bags although the time was over the time for checkout. It was very very helpful.
In addition, he took us there when we asked him how to get to the bus stop for the airport. I mean, he went there with us. It was also very very helpful.
Our room was also excellent. It was very clean and beautiful.
We can have some tea, snacks, something like that in the B&B.
We cannot complain anything because B&B calamatta was perfect!
I'm sure you'll never regret if you choose B&B Calamatta to stay Rome.

• Stayed February 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

The pictures don't do this place justice! My friends and I were happily surprised about how spacious and immaculately clean the rooms and bathrooms were. We really appreciated the great wifi, TV, and breakfasts too. The B&B is in a quiet neighborhood with several great restaurants, gelaterias, and boutiques. It was a short walk to the Vatican and many landmarks. What really made our stay was Valerio's hospitality. He helped us to navigate the city, provided maps, and gave us directions to and from the airport. Valerio is a friendly host who went out of his way to make our stay fantastic!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends