“get persuaded”

Osteria via Mantova
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Osteria via Mantova is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #387 of 12,134 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$39 - US$66
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“get persuaded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Osteria via Mantova balances powerfully to all the gifts that nature bestowed bitterly. It's in Rome, but not in the Rioni area, where tourists flock; little if not any window in the internal rooms, a small dehors but no view in perspective nor the pleasure to enjoy the gusts of the western wind that relieve all roman summer, since via Mantova is a short and narrow, but not that narrow, road, where the wind gets easily lost.
The place is in the residential-turning-to-business area, hence it thrives thanks to the reliability of what it can offer, day by day, gaining a small but generous list of usuals; the menu is pleasing and with no blinding sparks, which work only once. A quiet and comfortable environment and an elegant but not posh decor makes you forget where you are and push you to devore the menu, which is in large part fish-based. And, finally, a balanced service, not loud, but very expert, can guide you through a very enjoyable dinner. Fares are in the mid-range and give access to medium size-dishes of excellent quality. Wine list is in line with the menu. I'd suggest this place without hesitating.

• Visited September 2013

Tucson, Arizona
“It's Best When They Tell You What They're Really Good At”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Recommended by several locals on my previous visit, I missed the restaurant completely on my first attempt, thrown off by the prominent "Vini Scelta" sign at the front of the restaurant. This recent visit I finally was able to find the place and give it a try. And now am I sorry I missed it the first time for this was one of the finer meals I've had in Rome.

Too often in the past I have been disappointed with an new restaurant only to discover later that I had not ordered the dish or type of dish that their kitchen was known for. So now I routinely ask the server what's the dish on the menu I shouldn't miss. I hate it when they respond: "everything's good" ......that is, of course, impossible.

But I was greatly encouraged when the friendly server, without hesitation, immediately rattled off two or three dishes (not sure if it was two or three because of the heavy accent). In any event, I went with his recommendations for both an appetizer and main course.

I forget that 'shrimp' in Europe and Asia are often not the short stubby creatures we know in America. Without the server's recommendation I would have passed on the raw shrimp and fish plate. The Mediterranean shrimp are longer, thinner and more delicate, and absolutely delicious served raw. The raw platter included three types of shrimp (red, white and one especially delicate variety) together with three portions of fish tartare (sea bass, tuna and again one other I couldn't name). Served with it was a light but luscious extra virgin olive oil. Also accompanying the dish was something quite new to me: a salt seasoning spray: a simple plastic spray bottle with, I'm assuming, salted water (I could not read the ingredient label). The ability to add a light and even seasoning mist to the shrimp (as well as the bread before dipping in olive oil) was very effective.

The main course was a sea bass filet served with some flat green beans. Taken alone, it would have been a very nice dish. But I found myself still lusting after another raw fish and shrimp plate. I dined al fresco on a lovely mid-September evening beginning at 7:30. And not uncommon in Rome, I was the only diner inside or outside. The crowd began arriving just as I was paying the bill. I don't at all mind eating alone as it insures the fact that there won't be cigarette or (as I ran into at lunch that day) cigar smokers in the table next to you. Smoke is always a risk you take dining in Italy.l

• Visited September 2013
“Good, but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

This recently open (about a year ago) very nicely decored causy high end "osteria" has a friendly and efficient service. Pity was that we had the feeling the the "sugo" on the pasta (too salty) had just been reheated and not freshly made, the antipasti were ok but not wwhat expected by the pompous menu description. The Irish "stinco" was good and tasty but really small for 18 euros. Very good wine list. Worth trying anyway.

• Visited March 2013
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Our first visit to this restaurant and what a surprise. The decor was simple but elegant. The atmosphere was really nice and the staff welcoming and attentive. The menu was interesting and I went for the "Wild Boar" which was excellent.

• Visited February 2013
“LOVELY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

In a cozy and relaxed atmosphere I had a lovely meal with some friends at Ristorante Via Mantova, a newly opened place with a well designed offer of typical Italian Cuisine with a touch of Roman Style. The meal was simply tasteful and well balanced with its fresh ingredients. Good wine list too with fair prices. The service is attentive and never obtrusive. Bravo!

• Visited March 2012