“I'm no chef so nothing impressed me”
Review of Mercato Trionfale

and up
Taste of Rome - The Trionfale Foodie Tour
Ranked #152 of 1,864 things to do in Rome
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I can't cook worth two cents so places like this and Whole Foods in the States do not impress me. We rented an apartment near the Vatican, and went here to buy eggs, veggies, meats, breads, etc. We tried to buy eggs from one vendor, but he said he didn't have change for 20 euros?!? Most Italian people looked uncomfortable or cautious because we did not speak a lick of Italian nor did they speak English since most tourists don't come here. The only vendors who were at ease and not stiff were the Indian/Bangladeshi vendors since they understood us. We spent 30 euros on groceries. Hello, that is a whole lot just for eggs, milk, strawberries, mushrooms, potatoes, bacon, and bread! $45? Come on. For the rest of the trip we went to a Conad supermarket 3 to 5 times!

1  Thank ASN1972

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visit Roma as often as we can, usually for a few weeks each year. Because we rent a small apartment near the Vatican, we have a kitchen where we can cook. The Trionfale Market has become our favorite source for genuine Italian fruits, vegetables, cheeses and meats, fair prices and warm, friendly service from the Roman people. If you wish to experience how Romans live day to day, this is a window into that life.

4  Thank Josh K
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I really just stumbled upon this market while waiting to see the Sistine Chapel ... then read about it later. I was staying in a Bed And Breakfast nearby and didn't have access to a kitchen, but ohhhh if I would have! This is a fabulous market, with everything you could imagine to create an amazing meal. The variety and quality of food is impressive, and it is apparent that the vendors are very proud of what they sell ... the food is imaginatively displayed and the market is clean. If you love to cook and love great ingredients don't miss a visit to this market!

2  Thank Brigitte B
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Mercato Trionfale is a market where the locals shop offering the freshest of seafood, meats, fruits, vegetables,etc., as well as local wines straight out of the barrel. Prices are very affordable. Located in the Prati District of Rome, it occupies a full city block on Via Andrea Doria between Via Tunisi and Via Santamaura. My only disappointment was that I stumbled upon it on happenstance the day before I was leaving to return to the US.

5  Thank Sandy_BZ
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

We have visited three or four markets and this is one of the biggest and the only one where no one was trying to trick us into buying expensive stuff just because we are tourists. They are really friendly and helpful and have no problem selling you a bit of this and a bit of that. Also, nothing we have seen is nearly overpriced as other markets. I will go back if visit Rome again.

7  Thank MissKellyYip

Been to Mercato Trionfale? Share your experiences!