“The Staff can make or break a holiday..”
Review of Montecarlo Hotel

Montecarlo Hotel
Ranked #185 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Having read the reviews of this hotel I felt secure in the knowledge that the place was going to be fine, I was right.
All that has been written in relation to the location, the clean rooms, the nearby restaurants, the steps up to reception, then the ones down to the breakfast room all makes for part of the experience of the Montecarlo.
I must mention some of the staff at reception, well two of the three that we experienced, the first we met was what appeared to be an overworked and grumpy senior staff member who didn't really want to be there. BUT, thankfully there are two others that more than make up for him. Franco was very kind to us above the call of his employment, we suffered at the hands of the "light fingered brigade." It was Franco's help that we will remember from our trip to Rome. Then followed by Serghey, a second helpful receptionist they got our trip back on course. Management please note that these employees are your front line staff and are excellent. Yes you have the basic of the hotel correct but it is those two staff that we now tell people about.
The breakfast is what one expects but the small two roomed area can get a little congested on occasions and late arrivals end up taking what they want and having their breakfast in the bar upstairs. Also while there is a good range of television channels something in English like Sky News could be a noticeable addition.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maryboro

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was very disappointed with this hotel as the bed and pillow were atrocious. I had such back and neck pain from them I had a really miserable time in Rome. (I'm talking about the single room)

Plus the single rooms are minuscule and the decoration dark and not inviting. After a long day of walking one does not feel like going back to what feels like a dungeon.

The bathrooms are new but poorly planned. I was glad it was spring and the heating wasn't on because I would have surely burnt myself as when one is sitting on the toilet the heater is basically touching your shoulder! and I am 5'4 (1.65 m) , I can't imagine if a taller or larger person were to be in there.

The service quality at the reception desk was uneven. The younger gentlemen were friendly and open to questions. The older gentleman was quite brusque and it just felt like the customers were pains in HIS neck! Also on the day where I had to go on an early tour that took off before breakfast I asked if I could have 2 small bottles of water. Well they charged me for them! 1.5€ per bottle! That is not only poor customer service but also a rip off. I learnt my lesson went down to the local supermarket 5 minutes away and got packs of bottles (1 6 pack it 1.5€ at the supermarket!) to take back to the hotel.

The location though once you get the lay of the land is great: 10 min from the red and blue metro and about half a dozen different buses from all over Rome and the Vatican (don't believe those that say you can walk everywhere, after a full day you are very great full for that bus, tram or metro to get you back to your Hotel! Get the local travelcard it's well worth it, you can hop on or off any tram, bus or metro you feel like).

The area is....ok There is a sex cinema litteraly round the corner which is rather disconcerting but thanks to the military just around the other corner (there are embassies in the area) one does not feel unsafe. The neighborhood is quiet. There are some decent restaurants around (Mama Angela's is a definite recommend and if you can't get in you can order their home cooked food to go! As it is 5 minutes from the hotel it's a good solution!).

Room Tip: Don't go for a single room they feel like dungeons and the beds are terrible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank tiptoptravel2013
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I'd stayed in this 3 star hotel during our recent vacation with my family of 1 16month old baby & my wife. The hotel is located just 10mins away from the main Roma terminal from were you can catch inter city trains. You can also catch subways which is again a 5- 10mins wall should you want to explore rome The hotel initial look doesnt give you a good vibe but as you go inside the hotel you get the roman feeling, With the interior of the hotels giving a quite medieval look the room is not too small or large & i must admit is very cozy. Franco in the recpetion is very freindly, you could ask him 10 question & he will answer you with the same calm & composed nature of his. A few things that the hotel could improve on is 1st the breakfast, we have had breakfasts in other countries & hotels too but this hotels breakfast is below poor rating, 2nd the hotel has too much stairs around the reception, becomes quite difficult to handle the luggage & most importantly baby prams like i had one, they could probable do something for that.

Overall if you are a person who dont mind walking, do make fuss about room size & not too fussy about small things this hotel is a very very very good option for its location & getting a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ashaanullah
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The fridge in our room was not working and was not serviced despite us informing the front desk. Our aircon did not work properly for 2 nights. However, Franco, the front desk clerk, is helpful & always present us with a fast response whenever we have a situation. And the housekeeping is excellent! We love the fact that there is hot water for shower, nice toilet & a nice breakfast so overall, it is a nice experience staying there.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed in a small but nicely decorated quadruple room. Staff were very helpful.
Only minor quibble was that unless you explicitly order espresso or cappuccino at breakfast you get horrid instant coffee. I need to figure out how to order a decent long black coffee - "Americano" and "Lungo" both resulted in instant!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TwoSmallBoys
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Excellent hotel, providing very good basic services. We did not book the Monte Carlo to spend all of our time there, and yet it provided all the basic needs for a comfortable stay - clean rooms, helpful staff, internet terminal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James F
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We went to Rome for the Six Nations Rugby match between Italy and England. Having stayed at this hotel before we decided to book again as it was not too far by cab from the stadium. The staff are incredibly charming and helpful and especially so this trip as I had my purse stolen on the bus and Franco wrote out a report for me in Italian to take to the police station. The rooms are large and very comfortable and breakfast is good with an adequate choice of cereals, pastries, ham, cheese etc. We will certainly stay there again and recommend it highly.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends