“Just terrible!!!”
Review of Hostel Starlight

Hostel Starlight
Ranked #805 of 1,134 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I dont even know where to start with this hostel. First of all the stairs.. its like five floors worth the stairs, so if you have any kind of problem or heavy luggage, avoid it. Our room was kind a nice, but that was it. The "reception" was this guy's room/kitchen, in which he kept playing videogame 24/7. And the bathroom was the worse, always filthy, tons of hair...argh!!! And yet I didn't feel safe at all in there, once for the neghborhood, wich is pretty much the poorest area of Rome, twice for the guests themselves, wich for the five days we stayed there were exclusively male ( I was the only girl!!!). Hated it!!!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emiliamafra
There are newer reviews for Hostel Starlight

Reviewed 18 November 2008

Stayed here with my girlfriend during September for 5 nights, although the place was close to Termini and was not too expensive I would not stay there again.

We had to pay in Cash, which when you are on a budget is not good, as we were planning on paying for all our hotels on our credit card.

The room looked quite nice, and it had an ensuite, but the bed itself was just two singles pushed togther (I am aware that this is a common occurance in mainland Europe!). The bed itself was not the problem, the fact that every morning I would wake up with bites all over me was. At first I just ignored it, but it got worse and worse until we were sleeping on our towels.

The owners of the hotel did seem very friendly and the breakfast was very basic but okay to get you going in the morning.

Rome is amazing and when I stay again, I will either pay the little extra for a better hotel or I will stay just outside of Rome as I found the Metro very easy to use.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2008

There are two separate floors for the hostel portion and the hotel portion of Hostel Starlight. This review is only for the hostel.

The location is close to the termini, and while it is convenient, the neighborhood is rundown and has a population of homeless people loitering about near the station.

The building is old, complete with rickety elevator. Dorm rooms were basic and not the cleanest, with up to 12 people per room. Bathrooms were dirty. I was honestly worried about getting bed bugs while I spent the night here.

Breakfast is laughable. You have to produce a ticket to get your portion of packaged roll, pat of butter, and cup of coffee. There were only a few tables, so most people just grabbed their food and stood around eating. There are no computers for internet use, no lounge area, and no luggage storage. Reception will direct you to an laundromat a few blocks away that will store your luggage for a couple of Euros.

Overall, this place is depressing and gross. The cost is about the same as other hostels in the area, so I'd recommend one of the other ones rather than here.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Cintagreen
Reviewed 8 November 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Starlight for our honeymoon--it's a typical small European hotel that takes up a floor of an old apartment building. The staff were excellent and very friendly (gave us lots of tips), and were quick to answer our emails (sent via the hotel starlight website) to make a reservation. The hotel was quiet and well-kept, and included a decent breakfast by Italian standards. The Termini area of Rome is pretty convenient (very close to the train station and within walking distance to the forum, the Pantheon, etc.) but definitely not the most well-kept part of the city. I don't think it's that dangerous ( maybe a few pickpockets at the worst) but it just wasn't a place where I wanted to hang out at night.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 2 February 2007

We were booked to stay at Starlight Hostel but the staff put us up at the Hotel for the first 2 nights of our stay at the Hostel price with the offer of spending the other 2 nights in the Hotel for the normal Hotel price. After 2 nights in the hotel we decided to stay there as it was too lovely to leave and was only a little bit more for the hotel. We had a lovely big bed and a big bathroom. Security is really good here as you have 4 gates / doors to get through til you reach your room. You also have a safety deposit box inside the room. We had breakfast daily which was brought to our rooms and was quite adequate. The staff, particularly the man, were absolutely wonderful - they were so friendly. The man provided us with a map of the city and drew on it which streets the metro takes and he gave us some city tips. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone. It is only about 10 min walk to Termini station. WONDERFUL!!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KTraveller07
Reviewed 29 December 2005

We paid 35 euro a night for the double room which would have to be the cheapest legitimate room in Rome. It's a quite adequate base to explore Rome - just don't expect 5 star service at this price.

The Hostel is in a typical old European building which is neat if not slightly charming. It is essentially a residential building with a few floors at the front housing the more upmarket Hotel Starlight, however, Hostel Starlight is on an upper floor reached via stars in the inner courtyard - there is no lift for the hostel. Our room was the only double and it shares two bathrooms with the other 3 or 4 bunk rooms. As others have written, the manager does indeed live in a nook behind a curtain in the kitchen. If you can get over this, the place is clean and quiet plus the staff are polite and easygoing. As with many hostels the breakfast service remained a mystery, so factor in a couple of euros to get coffee and croissant out.

However, I wish we halved our time and doubled our daily budget in Rome.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank Blacklisted
Reviewed 7 October 2004

I stayed in this lovley small hotel, in September / October this year.
It's a very small, but spotlessly clean and tidy hotel, in a appartment block, about a 5minute walk from the main Train and Bus terminal in the very heart of Rome.
The staff (of which there are only two) are very attentive and cant do enough for you, breakfast in bed is always appriciated!
Just dont be put off by the 4 flights of stairs you have to climb! but dont worry there is a lift, for the less athletic amoung us!

Well worth staying here, just dont let onto everyone how good it is, otherwise it will be spoilt!

• Stayed: September 2004