“It was an okay stay, nothing great”

Alessandro Palace Hostel
Ranked #29 of 1,178 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 2 June 2014

While some hostel hotels are a great deal and have great amenities, this one was just okay. While I don't expect much from hostels a lot of times, I will say that the room/bathroom area could've been a little cleaner. The beds were okay, couldn't get very comfortable. The WiFi was pretty spotty and the breakfast had the bare minimum in the lounge/bar area by the check-in desk.

Probably the worst part about the stay was that my friend had some of this stuff stolen, like headphones, iPhone charger and some other tech stuff probably worth about $40-50 total. Fortunately, it wasn't me, but that certainly wasn't cool!

I will say, it is a pretty convenient walk to/from the main train station. That's really the only "pro" I can think of...so all in all, just an average stay at an average hostel in Rome.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This place is great if you just want to sleep for a night. For the quality, service, amnesties,etc. not really worth it. The Yellow is much more interesting and boasts one of the more lovely terraces you will find.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank 848FrederickE
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The hostel looked nice and was pretty lively. had a good room where it was easy to meet people. Most people i met were there for the same thing. to meet new people and see the sights, Staff always wanted to sell you things, like bar crawls exspensive tours and breakfast. The WIFI was shockingly bad. Most places you could not get it or if you did it would drop out and you would need to sign back in. beer was not overly cheap there compaired to other places. Locations was great to termani station and to cheap food. If wanted breakfat i would recomend going around the corner to yellow hostel were they do hot and cold food for the same price as Alessandro hostel. I think the people i met at the hostel made it for me so if you want to meet new people this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hostel was very clean! The staff were very friendly and took the time to know your name and talk to you. They made you feel very welcome and were always available to answer any questions. The location of this hostel was perfect, only a short walk to some of the biggest tourist attractions, but yet not located in a busy area.The bar was a little loud at night, although I was in the room just above the bar. But a great experience overall.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Alessandro Palace & Bar was located in an excellent area, close to Termini train station and walking distance to many restaurants and food markets. The hostel was clean and comfortable but a bit on the expensive side for late April, around 40EU. Problems getting a WiFi signal in the room but fine on the main floor. Good atmosphere, nice employees and a good place to meet other travelers. The bar area on the main floor has a good vibe. Overall, a nice and accommodating place to stay. I'd visit again when I'm in Rome if the price is right.

Room Tip: Poor WiFi signal in rooms but not a big deal since you can get WiFi easily on the main floor. A gre...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank FarSexi
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hostel was okay.
The beds were comfortable. They had a clean sheet and pillow case. However, I do not know how often they wash the actual blanket you cover up with. Mine smelled fine and I have no complaints but it is important to note that I stayed in Rome for four nights in a 8 bedroom mixed ensuite so I had roommates leave and new ones come in the same day and the sheets were new but the blankets had not been switched out. So I can say from my experience they don't wash the blankets in between every guest. Towels had to be rented from the front desk, if you did not pack your own- it was about 2-5 euros, can't remember exact price. You had to put a deposit down for the room key that you obviously got back when you checked out and returned it. Also, when you were in the room someone had to have their key put in the slot for the electricity to work. The lockers in the room were pretty good. You can either use your own lock or buy one from at the vending machine near the front desk. It is big in that it can fit a purse and all your other valuables but it cannot fit a suitcase or a backpack so people would just lock up their valuables and leave their suitcases with all their clothes right next to their bed- sometimes with a lock on the zipper, sometimes without. I never had a problem with my belongings being stolen. But I will say they have a luggage room near the front desk where you could keep your stuff but I never felt like that was too secure. Sure, there is a camera but that can only do so much for you. I say this because a girl I met on my last day there had her stuff stolen and the staff was able to view the footage and see who took it but it was a guest that had already checked out earlier that morning and left Rome so they couldn't do much more to help her.
The bathroom was small but served its purpose. It had a blowdryer attached to the wall that was broken more often than it worked. The ventilation was miserable. There was no window or fan so everything just stayed wet the majority of the time and it was extremely stuffy.
Breakfast was about 4 euros I believe. I didn't ever eat it so I cannot comment on it.
Wifi was beyond terrible. It was basically nonexistent.
Front desk staff were nice.
There is a lockout but I did not mind it because I'd leave the room early in the morning and not need to come back until later anyways.
The bar they had downstairs played the soccer game my friend and I wanted to watch so that was good. To purchase alcohol you have to get tokens from a machine they had there and then purchase your drink using those coins. The hostel puts on a lot of events for its guests to meet each other such as a pub crawl. I did not attend any of their events so again I can't comment on them.
Location was awesome. I walked everywhere and never once used the metro. The Termini train station was a 3 minute walk from the hostel.

Overall my stay was ok. I would not mind staying here again but I think before I book it, I'd look for a place with better wifi and free breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sereneateek
Reviewed 26 April 2014

great place to stay. really close to Termini station, the staff are wonderful. We booked for an 8 bedroom, shared bathroom mixed dorm but we got moved to a 4 bedroom en suite which was FANTASTIC since we were a booking of 4. The wifi isn't that great, you have to re connect every time your phone locks but it wasn't a huge deal. The pub crawl they organise is great, got to meet lots of new people. My sister got engaged while in Rome and they were kind enough to give us a complimentary bottle of wine to celebrate. Lots of power outlets in the room with a mini bar fridge. The beds were a little scary as they just folded down, I honestly felt like I was in a coffin however a good laugh about it.They have a cute terrace upstairs which you could enjoy in the warm sun. Would stay there again if I ever return to Roma.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends