“All Americans in Rome, stay here!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #6 of 1,088 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Bellingham, Washington
“All Americans in Rome, stay here!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Thanks to Rick Steve's amazing travel books I heard about this hotel/hostel through his Rome edition. Because I was booking my room while I was still in America, I was a little nervous that there would be a communication error, but that did not happen! The owners are a nice American couple who nicely suggested the best type of room for me to stay in with my boyfriend and I. They have hostel rooms, hotel rooms, suites and a guest type room that shares a kitchen and 2 bathrooms with a couple other guest rooms. We stayed in that one and was sooo pleased! Unbeknownst to us, our room had a balcony! Because the guest rooms are just a block or two away from the actual Beehive, we were given a map and directions to find it. It was like our own little treasure map! For the two nights we stayed there, we ate out once and made dinner in the charming kitchen that was provided. It was a fantastic stay and I don't really have any bad things to say about it. Love the Beehive in Rome!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

I booked Beehive as my prefered accom based on cost & position
From the start with email contact
& without setting foot in the place I had chose well and was not wrong
Clean ,well run and friendly and when I returned to Rome they squeezed me in for 3 nights
Well done Linda and the B,hive gang. Bazza

• Stayed April 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

I don't think I could have found a nicer, cleaner, friendlier and cosier place to stay. It's absolutely a boutique hostel to me. Showers and toilets were impeccably clean. Bed in rooms comfortable. Had a few hot days while I was there in September but didn't feel hot with the ceiling fan only. Beehive cafe food was delicious. Location wise, it's a block away from the station so great spot for commuting. I was a solo traveller and felt completely safe when I was walking home late at night after dinner. Book in advance as it as good as everyone says it is and will no doubt be booked up quickly.

• Stayed September 2012
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in May - it is a slice of heaven in the Hostel world. Stayed in a twin room with a hand basin, shared bathroom. The gorgeous courtyard was enchanting and we spent a fabulous evening sharing vino, antipasta and stories with other guests - although we did get a few complaints about our noise as the garden is situated under the dorm room window! The night reception moved us on quick smart ;-). The rooms, bathrooms and gardens were impeccably clean, food in the cafe was wonderful and the staff very helpful. Location is brilliant and so easy to find from Termini. I found our room to be very quiet although we were at the opposite end of the bathrooms. I cannot fault this place and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms at the opposite end to the bthroom will be quieter....
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Unfortunately we couldn´t stay in a double because they were booked. Although we don´t like the hostels dormitories because as a couple we prefer a double room, this was a very good pick. The spacious rooms were very comfortable and airy and the service was perfect. They serve very good organic breakfast (not included) and you can have it in a small garden. For two last nights we moved to their apartments which was even better. Beautiful rooms in an old house had the atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed one night in one of the rooms without a bathroom.

The positives:
Close to Termini, great when arriving in the evening. 25 minutes walk to Colisseum.
Comfortable bed. There was a hand basin in the room.
Breakfast was excellent in the cafe downstairs.

The not so good:
It was hard to sleep, with doors banging all night (as guests go in and out of rooms to use bathrooms).
There was no kettle in room for making a hot drink, very inconvenient to walk outside looking for coffee/tea.
Cafe downstairs is small, only 1 person cooking, so need to wait.

Next time if we stay here, we would book one of the Sweets room.
Or we would stay at Filippo where we previously stayed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NZTourists
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

The Beehive is my go-to hostel in Rome. I also recommend it to all of my friends. Let's just say that if my parents were looking to stay in a hostel in this city, I would put them up here. It's that nice and trustworthy.

I've been to a lot of hostels and visited a lot of hotels, and the Beehive is one of the best. The owners, Linda and Steve, speak fluent English and Italian, which makes it really easy to communicate with them. The property is clean and safe, the meals are healthy (accommodating for vegan and gluten-free diets), and there's a beautiful garden inside where you can enjoy a glass of wine.

I actually stayed in their sister property, the Clover. It's located just on the other side of Roma Termini Station and it's as well-maintained as the main location. The showers and kitchen were clean and they had free wireless Internet. The building houses other apartments, so it was kind of like living like a local. I enjoyed it very much.

The property's proximity to the main train station is key. It takes just a two-block walk to access Rome's Metro system. Many late-night buses stop at Termini as well, which makes getting home after hours very convenient (I am an expert on needing to get home after hours).

Prices are good, the service is spectacular and the location is amazing. I won't even need to look up a new place during my next visit to Rome.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo