The Beehive
YMCA(Rome)
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsdorm roomtrain stationthe cafe downstairsshared bathroomtwo blocksclose to terminiprivate bathhome away from homelounge areaa great place to staycommon roommain buildingbudget hotelaround the cornerroma terminiconvenient locationstayed nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were recommended to the Beehive by friends staying there for 3 nights and found it to be excellent value.
We had a room in the Sweets which had 2 single beds but the hotel put a good quality temporary bed in for our daughter as well.
Firstly it is only 1 street away from where the airport bus drops you off, so just a short walk with bags and your are there.
It is in a great location to explore Rome and is in a nice quiet road that is well lit and feels safe ( like the rest of Rome actually.)
The room was no frills, spacious, very clean and there was a large central area if you wanted to cook/ make tea. With tea bags etc provided.
The cafe was good for the one breakfast we had there and the best recommendation I can give is too speak to the owners. We had a long chat about restaurants, scenic walks and ice cream parlours. They sent us to some very good and reasonably priced places!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jandkbillingham
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was my second time at the Beehive. The location is perfect for me and this time for my wife and myself. Fly into Fiumicino Airport, catch the Leonardo Express from the airport lower level, arrive 30 minutes later at the Termini train station and after a 3 minute walk you are home. Quiet, clean and secure.

We walked all over Rome from here even to the Vatican. The Beehive owners have put together a nice restaurant guide for all of Rome. They are very attuned to eating healthy and this is reflected in their choice of restaurants. They also have a separate booking service called Cross Pollinate and we were able to book an excellent room in the same neighborhood for 4 nights using their service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve W
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great hotel. Clean with a nice vibe. All the people working here were super nice and helpful whenever we asked them questions about anything. I liked the emphasis on being good to the environment and eating yummy organic food. They provide a guide online for restaurants/gelaterias which we used quite often and their recommendations were spot-on. I know a lot of people say this location isn't central, it's very near the Termini train station and the rail lines. Plus, Rome isn't HUGE. Most main attractions are within 30 min walking distance. We only used the rail to get to the Vatican and back. There's also some great museums & historical sites (like the Diocletian Baths) nearby within 10 min walking distance which aren't as popular but still worth a visit. They lock up at 11pm but we're given keys to all the doors so it wasn't a problem.

The only thing which was kind of a bummer is that the bed we were given didn't seem like it was meant to be put together. The mattresses would keep sliding apart so it was difficult for my husband and I to sleep in the middle. Plus, one time while having some fun (not like that....), my husband actually fell through the middle of the bed. He wasn't hurt, but it stunned him for a second. Also, like I said, they lock at 11pm, so if you need something afterwards, there's no one there.

Other than, this was a GREAT hotel at a great value. In fact,we extended our stay there 4 days because we were enjoying Rome so much.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
LindaatTheBeehive, Owner at The Beehive, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear crsgrl1223, thanks for your review and I'm very glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay in Rome and at The Beehive. Just so other potential guests know: between 11pm and 7am when our reception is closed, there's usually a staff member still on premises (just not at the front desk) in case there's an emergency, plus there's an emergency number to call - so we're reachable if there's a real need. But yes, all general requests such as for directions, restaurant suggestions, etc. need to be made during our normal reception hours which are 7am to 11pm.

In regards to the beds, it's pretty standard here in Italy for rooms to have 2 single beds that can be made up as a double/queen sized bed. When you're a small operation such as we are this is the only way to accommodate both couples and friends traveling together. That said, what happened to your husband is a first for us as we've never heard of someone falling through the middle! I have slept on our beds myself and can't really imagine what you were doing to have had that happen, but I'm glad your husband didn't get hurt or break the bed! All the best, Linda

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed with our 2 year old son in one of their immaculate and very pretty spacious ‘Sweets’ with en-suite bathroom and full access to their very handy family-friendly communal kitchenette. Our son particularly enjoyed the sweets left on the pillows and sniffing the gorgeous handmade soap. Noise from a bustling Rome was pretty minimal inside and we all slept well.

Wi-fi was speedy and there is use of an iPad for customers as well maps and guidebooks for those that like to discover a city by more traditional means. Staff are incredibly helpful too on handing out tips of local restaurants in the area. We had breakfast in their organic cafe which was a lovely space and provided some great poached eggs. There is communal area to relax indoors and outdoors.

The hotel's location to Rome’s main railway station,Termini, means it is perfectly situated for walking around the city or for jumping on the bus to the different locations.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MidLifeMumme
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have been staying at the Beehive for years. I go to Italy every year now. It is my treat to myself and the Beehive is always my point of arrival and departure in Rome. It is extremely easy to find and very close to Rome termini - the main Train Station in Rome (just one block). I love the people who run it. All the years i have been going there they have always been extremely friendly and helpful. The cleanliness is great, not always perfect perfect, but it gets a lot of traffic. I have met some wonderful people there from all over the world as well as from the United States. I have stayed in the dorm and have rented private rooms as well as rooms in the separate quarters they have (apartment with kitchen). I like staying both places, because in the apartment I can make my own food - i haven't found the greatest of restaurants in the vacinity of the main train station, they might be there, i just haven't found them. One of the best treats for me at the Beehive are their delicious breakfasts. They specialize in really good healthy wholesome and vegetarian foods.

Room Tip: I like staying in the dorm because I get to meet some interesting people. The apartments are nice cause you can make your own meals. I still go over to the Main Beehive for breakfast. When I am traveling with other people it is nice to get one of the rooms, when alone it is very economical to stay in the dorm.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo