“Good Budget Accommodations”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #6 of 1,148 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Our family of three spent three nights at the Beehive in early May. Our first night was in the 8 bed mixed dorm, and the last two nights we were in the Sweets.

The staff was extremely helpful. They provided us with sound advice for the way to spend our time in Rome in order to make best use of our time and see the main sights. And they knew where we could walk to the best gelateria in Rome. We got to Come Il Latte every night.

The dorm room worked out fine for us. There were enough shared bathroom facilities so that contention was never an issue. The dorm room was clean and there was adequate lockable storage space. The other travelers who shared the space with us were courteous and quiet. At the same time, we were able to connect with others to share experiences. Just like in any hostel environment.

The Sweets were very nice. We had a large room, with an extra roll-away bed. We had our own private bath, and the room had a balcony with enough room for two to sit out and get fresh air.

The location was close to Termini, and hence, close to transportation in any direction. Breakfast was not included with the room rate, but was available on-site for an extra charge. I had a made-to-order omelet that was great. But she had run out of toast. Lesson learned: if you want breakfast, don't sleep in too long.

The Sweets were just a few Euros more per person per night. That room was an excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was very comfortable. The American owners have created environmentally friendly accommodations for tourists in Rome. The owner was very friendly and directed us to several great restaurants and unusual sights. It is located near Roma Termini which has access to the metro and trains. The cafe downstairs has great food and actually offers milk alternatives. The only downside is having a shared bathroom, but there was a sink in the room.

Stayed: May 2014
LindaatTheBeehive, Owner at The Beehive, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Celeste H, thank you very much for your kind words - I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. One thing I did want to clarify for any potential guests reading your review is that while we do have private rooms with shared bathroom like the one you stayed in, we also have private rooms with private bathroom. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review and we do hope you'll stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Rome. All the best, Linda

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Sweets for only one night. It was hard to find the reception and we walked past the door to the Sweets a couple of times. It's in a building with other people in apartments and I felt bad if I made noise as there were notices up to be considerate. There was an iPad we could use in a common room that came in handy. The place was clean. The bathroom was tight but manageable. The soaps were apparently organic and homemade but we were not a fan of the smell of the soaps. The bed was pretty comfortable but the pillows had no support. It was close to Termini. For the price we got what we expected. Low-mid budget hostel.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Pickyandhonest

Dear Pickyandhonest, thank you for taking the time to make some comments about your stay. I did want to clarify for any potential guests reading this review that like many small hotels, B&Bs, etc. in towns and cities in Italy - we are located in a large building that is compromised of other apartments in the building - some of which are businesses and others that are residential. So yes, we do ask guests to be considerate of the other tenants in the building. We don't ask guests to tip-toe through the hallways, but smoking, littering, yelling or other inappropriate behavior that would disturb others is unacceptable. Kind regards, Linda

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had one of the rooms with a double bed and shared a bathroom. I thought the location was great. It's near termini station and easy to get to. You'll need either a bus, metro, or a train so it's convenient to get anywhere. I also thought the receptionists were very friendly and helpful. As soon as we got there, we were given a map and told how to get around. We also had breakfast in the cafe. The food was fresh and delicious.

The room was a bit small but was everything we needed. Not having a/c wasn't a problem either. The room looked like the pictures on the website but a bit duller and older perhaps.

Our biggest issue here was the smell and we had multiple issues with wi-fi. When you walk into The Beehive there is an unpleasant strong smell. It could be because there isn't A/C so it could have been a stuffy smell. I'm not quite sure but it bother both my husband and I. In the room, the smell wasn't as noticeable but we did keep the window open the whole time. I also had issues with the wi-fi. During the day I had access but at night I couldn't connect. My husband thinks there was a limit to how many devices could be on the router and since we got back late, there wasn't room for us. We mentioned the problem to the receptionist and she mentioned she had issues at times but all she had to do was turn off wi-fi on her phone and turn it back on. That didn't work for me but might work for others. This was distressing because I was depending on wi-fi for all my communication with family back home.

Overall I was a bit disappointed. We picked this location because it was highly recommended in all the travel books that we had. But I think it might be the shared dorm that's been touted rather than the individual rooms. I'm not sure. It's worth staying for all the other good things mentioned though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alexis V
LindaatTheBeehive, Owner at The Beehive, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hello Alexis V, I'm very sorry there were some factors about your stay that you found disappointing as we try very hard and truly want all of our guests to be happy at The Beehive. In regards to smell, I honestly cannot imagine what it might have been and asked our manager Yuli who was there during your stay and she does not recall any bad smell. I would be curious to know if the smell was there the entire time of your stay as you do not mention that. There were some utilities works that had been going on in our back courtyard during your stay and it may have come from there. However, I am confident the smell did not originate from inside our facilities unless it was vinegar which we use for some cleaning and can drift into the reception. In regards to wi-fi, a while ago the device that allows wi-fi to reach two back bedrooms better (yours being one of them) was stolen and we have chosen not to replace it. It's not a device that we can keep replacing every time someone decides to take it as we have no way of making it secure. Without it, in those two rooms, it depends on the strength of your device's antenna as we have some people who have no problems and others that do. However, the rest of our rooms do receive a signal and there are many other comfortable working spots throughout The Beehive that have stronger wi-fi signals - for example, in our lounge and in our cafe and you were most certainly welcome to use those spots. I do hope you enjoyed your time in Rome. Best regards, Linda

Reviewed 23 May 2014

For an relatively good price, The Beehive has an excellent location within minutes of
the Termini, coffee shops, restaurants, the metro, and a (food) market. The rooms are
impeccable, the place quiet, the staff helpful, the wifi free and even a limited meal source.
You must be of the nature to share the bathroom amenities but you have a sink in your own
room. I never had any issues with the sharing during the days I stayed there. There was a common area with a computer and a small garden to sit in. The staff will give you several
Suggestions for nearby eating and tips about Rome. As a solo elderly female traveler,
I feel VERY safe in The Beehive and in the area. Now I hope Trip Advisor will allow
me to post a warning about the Termini and riding the metro. I have been to Rome 6
times previously and the scams, pickpockets were worse than ever. The first day riding
the Metro the man next to me was pick pocketed...taken from a zippered pocket. His
wallet was thrown on the train floor with just money missing and fortunately noticed by
Someone. The train was so crowded you could not determine where anyone's hands were.
Do not carry anything unguarded. Scams at the Termini included teams that would cleverly
approach tourists with offers of kind assistance...avoid them. I saw myself what they do and
Talked to some that had been scammed and intimidated. Do not shake hands with mimes
no matter how friendly they may seem. Enjoy your time at the Beehive and in Rome, but use
good judgment. I am an experienced world traveler and was approached several times in
the termini. Stand firm when the scammers are persistent.
I based my rating by comparing it to similar places I have stayed not against a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: each time I stayed, the room was very good. Those away from the street side might be a bit quieter...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank fireshepdancer
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Close to Termini, five minute walk. We stayed at the Sweets our first two nights in Rome, and had a private bath with a very small shower. Clean and comfortable room just as described on the website. Wifi worked great and if you don’t have a computer or smart phone there is a computer in the common area for guests to use. Lots of information provided to the guests, tips on tipping and navigating the city.
There happened to be a room available at the Clover section, again close to the Termini but on the other side, so we booked that for our final night before setting out to tour Florence, Tuscany and Pompei.
It was so stress-free to returning to the Beehive Clover after our nine nights of travel. Again, clean, roomy and comfortable but shared bath. This was never a problem as there were, I think, at least three bathrooms with shower for the five rooms. Thank you, Beehive, for providing such an economical, safe, clean and comfortable place to stay in such a convenient location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here with my daughter and mother in November of 2012. Late to write this but wanted to share anyway. Although we didn't meet the owners on this trip everyone we dealt with was wonderful. My mother, in particular, loved the cafe. She could get up early and go downstairs for her coffee and chat until my daughter and I were ready. Easy access to the Metro and the bus we took to and from the airport. We will definitely stay here again if we return to Rome. My mother said she'd stay there even if she were traveling solo.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family