“Nice place in a good location”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #6 of 1,120 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Sudbury, Canada
“Nice place in a good location”
Reviewed 18 November 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights in October 2008. What a great little place minutes from termini station. The cost was very reasonable at 80 euro per night for a double room. The room was spacious enough with a nice decor and was very clean. We didn't have a private bathroom but the room did have a sink and mirror in it which was nice. We didn't eat at the cafe at all so I can't comment on the food. There was a nice lounge downstairs which had a couple of couches and and a computer with internet access that was free of charge. We never had a problem getting on the computer either. The only complaint I had is that it can be a bit noisy at night. The rooms are on the ground floor and you can here all the street noise which can make it difficult to sleep if you need silence.

• Liked — Great location, nice clean and spacious room
  • Disliked — noise at night
1 Thank harvey16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
westminster, ca
Reviewed 2 November 2008

My wife and I recently vacationed in Italy for 2 weeks and on our last 2 nights in Rome we wanted to be near the Termini (3 blocks) and found a wonderful little place called "the beehive". (in Rick Steve's book).

It is owned/managed by 2 ex-pats from US (Linda & Steve) and while we never got to meet them, they really have been attentive to what American travellers want (like screens on the windows.... my personal favorite !) The property is very clean with well maintained rooms and lounge area...quiet (set back from the street by a little tree-lined courtyard that buffers much of the city sounds)...free internet access... and wonderful, courteous, helpful, and English speaking personnel on staff.

While the accomodations provide only shared bathrooms (which is perfectly okay with us), I discovered no problem in this area. I discovered 4 or 5 WCs (some with showers) and several other shower-only rooms (and I might have missed some) so with only 7 private rooms and a small dormitory (8 beds, I think), there never was a conflict with access. (Of course, we travelled in October, not August) Still, it was almost like having a bathroom in your own room.

Finally, another unique feature is that the Beehive has its own Cafe on-site in which you can order a delicious, cooked-to-order breakfast and then PAY WHAT YOU WANT !! Huh?!!!... what a concept. It was great. (They also serve dinner .)

All-in-all, in that price range, this was by far the best place we stayed in during our visit to Italy and we would definitely stay there again. Try it... you WON'T be disappointed, but BOOK early. (6 months to the day is as far out as they allow.)

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing...everything was terrific !!
3 Thank tennisbuff5
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 26 October 2008

The Beehive was a little "granola" for my husband and I, but we still enjoyed our stay. If you are looking for a very cheap, but centrally located place with the bare ammenities, you will love the Beehive.

We stayed in a double room with a shared bathroom. Everything was very clean in the bedroom. It literally was a bed, a standing armoire, one chair and a sink. We were fine with this because, really, when traveling in Europe, you're out of the room more than you're in it. The bed was hard as a rock, but we were so exhausted by the second night we didn't care. The one thing I would change was the ridiculously small form-over-function wall mirror (it was one of those "sunburst" mirrors). Since you get ready in your room, it would be helpful if they provided a larger mirror.

The shared bathrooms were fine. The water pressure was terrible, but that's fairly common in Rome. We never had to wait , which was a primary concern.

The cafe has excellent food for breakfast, but they have this weird commune system of negotiating the price of your meal with the chef. We didn't care for that. Just tell me the price and I'll pay it.
The people were not friendly. They were very perfuntory and were not interested in conversation and weren't terribly helpful. If that's important to you, buyer beware.

The best part is the location which is about a one minute walk to the Termini Train station. We could hop on and off the metro and zip around town so easily from The Beehive.

For the price and it's cleanliness, you can't beat it, which is why I give it an above-average score.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very Small
2 Thank herberga
NEHALEM
Reviewed 7 October 2008

You may be tempted to choose the Beehive because of price. Good enough reason but you'll be so pleased with your choice because of the great location, clean rooms, excellent staff and the cheerful atmosphere. Ingmar the cat adds to the experience.

Stayed October 2008
Wellington
Reviewed 29 September 2008

The Beehive was the best value place we stayed during our three weeks in Italy. It was very close to the main train station within walking distance to most attractions (except the Vatican which is an easy metro ride from the station). Unlike most places in Italy it is modern and spotlessly clean. The Beehive guide (1 Euro) was invaluable with heaps of great recommendations about where to eat and what to do.

However, the best place we found to eat was at Beehive cafe, the best food on our trip so far. You must try and French Toast and the Barley Salad if they are on the menu. Free internet and wifi, comfy couches and even a few English books and guidebooks.

The courtyard was lovely and shady to sit in the afternoons. The only downside was our room was rather warm but the ceiling fan meant it was not a problem.

I wish everywhere we stayed was like the Beehive and I am really regretting not having scrambled egges for breakfast when I had the chance.

• Liked — The cafe
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunshine545
Western Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Beehive in June and it was HOT! Hot not only because of the weather (38oC plus), but hot because we stayed in room 1 and we discovered the hot water system was hiding behind the colourful cupboard doors. No dramas, we just slept with the windows open and ear plugs in.

Other than this little problem, our stay was incredibly pleasant.. The diabetic and adorable cat Ingmar truly is the star of the show, as I am sure the owners hear all the time! The location is central, you can see the Termini sign from the street, with a courtyard to relax in while Rome keeps going. There is also an on site cafe (excellent and value for money), free internet and a lounge area with books (and the cat). The little booklet they produce (which you can buy there or print out beforehand from the net), has heaps of information, and we really benefited from the insights it gave us. A little restaurant called Marco Polo was second to none on our whole trip in Italy. Also, the visit to the Capcuscin Monks was interesting....

Rome was so hot, but the fountains were a god send! If visiting the Colosseum, you just rock up and get into a guided tour (which includes entry to Colosseum and the Roman Forum). Transport was easy - buying an all day metro pass was value for money and the trains stop pretty much outside major sites or just a little walk away. Rome has quite a small centre anyway. Vatican - visit in the afternoon around 2-2.30pm to see the museums we walked straight in, but St Peters was really busy. All in all, we enjoyed Rome, and the Beehive made it better, as we could just relax between walking trips in an area that wasnt our bedroom!

• Liked — Ingmar, lounge and courtyard area, cafe, location
  • Disliked — lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mezzagirl
Martinez, CA
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I have been back for nearly 3 months now from a trip my friend and I made to Italy. We were there for 2 weeks and stayed in 4 different locations. The first place we stayed was Rome and were fortunate enough to get a reservation at The Beehive. We loved our stay there. It was very comfortable. We enjoyed eating in their organic vegetarian cafe and using the free internet to contact family members at home. The young lady in the cafe the first morning we were there was very sweet. She helped us with directions to the village called Calcata, which most people knew nothing about. The owner Linda was kind enough to book reservations at the Accademia and Uffizi in Florence for us. Every time I sent e-mails with questions she responded quickly and was always helpful. The accomodations were very nice and clean. The staff was helpful especially the day we were leaving to go to the Vatican when I asked the receptionist if I could wear the particular skirt I had on to the Vatican she stated no. So I went back and changed because I would have hated to have been turned away. It was the little touches that made our stay so wonderful; the homemade soaps, the garden, family photos in the lounge and meeting Ingmar their cat. The location was very convenient, just 2 blocks from the main Termini. We also could walk to Trevi Fountain. Looking forward to my next trip to Italy. I will definitely stay at The Beehive again. Thank you to Linda and the staff for a wonderful experience on my first trip to Italy. Ciao.

• Liked — organic vegetarian cafe
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends