The Beehive
Hotel Adriano(Rome)
US$200
US$184
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Villa San Pio(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$323
US$264
US$351
US$342
  • Breakfast included
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$206
  • Room Service
US$263
US$225
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdorm roomtrain stationthe cafe downstairsshared bathroomtwo blocksclose to terminiprivate bathhome away from homelounge areaa great place to staycommon roommain buildingbudget hotelaround the cornerroma terminiconvenient locationstayed nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 January 2010

The good - great location if arriving/leaving by train as only a (max) 5 minute walk to the termini. Relaxed and quiet atmosphere that felt more like staying in someone's house than a hotel. Spacious rooms. Hidden away to escape the hustle and bustle of the outside world.

The bad - A little bit too worthy - they adopt the principle at the cafe of 'pay what you think the meal is worth' with no fixed prices. This is fine in principle, however during our stay we witnessed another guest being told when she asked in the kitchen if she had given enough money was that 'no, not really' and then told it 'doesnt matter, because it's all about karma'....which defeats the whole purpose of that exercise, and obviously left the girl feeling bad about the whole experience. Think it would be better if they just set the prices and avoided issues like that.

Also, we had a room that was near the showers, and the generator(or fan in the shower room) was very very noisy - we could tell when someone started and finished their showers whilst lying in bed!

Overall though not a bad choice when considering cost and location.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ClareSomewhere
Reviewed 7 January 2010

This May will be my third stay at the Beehive. My first wife and I discovered the hostel/apartment soon after they first opened. We could not believe our good luck. Right from the start folks raved about the Beehive on the online guestbook. Friends with considerably better assets payed much more for a crummy room in another part of town.
About 2 years ago I traveled with a buddy of mine and again had a wonderful experience. The Millefiori apartment was very clean with interesting frescoes on the walls. The other guests were mainly Americans of all different ages with one common talent: they knew how to travel intelligently. Sharing the bath and the kitchen was not a problem. We were lucky because Linda and Steve sponsored an art opening and reception. I swear half the Americans now living or working in Rome were there. We all had such a good time.
My girlfriend and I ( both of us in our 60's) will be staying at the Clover apartment in May. Being able to throw together meals in the kitchen really helps keep my trips to Europe affordable. Hanging out at the main Beehive residence in the evening was so much fun. Last time we met 2 young, recently married couples who put their careers on hold and were taking the year off to travel around the world ! Now those are the kind of people we all want to meet and chat with.
Tom Green & Sharon De Laney

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2010

My daughter and I (38 and 63) made our first visit to Rome and after surfing the internet for days, decided on The Beehive. We couldn't have made a better choice. Extremely conveniently located just a couple of minutes walk from the Termini train and bus station in a neighbourhood which felt safe, the hotel/hostel is stylish, immaculately clean with friendly and welcoming staff. The cafe was brilliant for breakfast and dinner and Gianluca was a great host and chef. We were lucky enough to meet the great Ingmar shortly before he died, what a priviledge. The Beehive is such a friendly place and it was great to meet other travellers from around the World. Sharing a bathroom was never a problem, never had to wait and there were plenty of them had one been occupied. Can't wait to visit again in the Summer this time. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Thank you to all at The Beehive.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 22 December 2009

I rented two of the Beehive apartments (Millefiori and Clover) for a nine-day study trip in Rome. We were a group of twelve from a major American university. The apartments worked well for our purposes and I will be renting them again this year for a similar group.

The apartments were charming and delightful, but on a modest scale. Millefiori, especially, has some exquisite qualities. We wanted basic and affordable accommodations in a central location and were very well served by what we got. If you are looking for American-style apartments with all the amenities and conveniences, these apartments are NOT for you. Clover has a kitchen big enough to sit in (though we couldn’t get the stove to work), and Millefiori has a fabulous communal space that we were able to use for general meeting and meals. It’s true that the kitchen in Millefiori is tiny, but nonetheless we were resourceful and cooked several complete meals for our entire group (of 12+), which included a monsignor on two occasions. I was worried about the logistical difficulties of one bathroom shared by six Americans, but students knew they had to work out their rota, and I heard no complaints.

The location of the apartments is mixed. I value the genuineness and ethnic mix of the neighborhood. That one of the great food markets of Rome is next door is a tremendous asset. The apartments themselves have good security and “real people” live or work in these buildings, which is a great thing for students to experience. We had nothing but great relations with neighbors in the apartments, but we were very well behaved.

Any apartments close to Termini, however, will sport dicey denizens in the neighborhood, as lodgings close to any train station in any big city are likely to do. I am adamant that my college students go out in pairs at any time of day, and in groups after dark. This seems sensible anywhere, especially for visitors who don’t know the rhythms or signals of the culture.

In making arrangements for the booking, I worked with both Linda and Steve. Both were thoroughly professional: prompt in their communications, genuinely helpful about critical aspects of planning, and explicit about policies. I will admit that I find some of their policies Draconian (e.g. absolute rigidity with regards to reservation or refunds, even in advance of the trip), and it was inconvenient (to say the least) to come up with the total payment in cash upon arrival (well over €2500), but they were absolutely clear and I knew what I was getting into. (I also understand that rigid policies get made, because people take advantage and the rest of us suffer.) Several of our number enjoyed the lost luggage experience and were getting a serious run around from the airline. Steve and Linda personally came through for us.

I was less impressed by the Beehive staff generally, which ranged from totally fabulous to seemingly indifferent. Stress, may have played into my reaction. Our group meet-up was problematic, as several flights were late and luggage was lost. It was 10 hours after our planned rendezvous that we all finally managed to get together. The staff member whom I particularly remember after the fact, however, is one gracious man, who was working the kitchen. Out of meal-time he made sandwiches for the kids, who hadn’t slept all night or eaten for hours. He was gentle and kind and helped them realize that they had come to the magical place that Italy is. He also helped me figure out some complicated train/bus routes for trips I wanted to arrange.

In sum, the Beehive apartments are great values, if you want want what they can offer, which is a lot. Pay attention to what they promise – and you will get it – and then some.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I am 29 and i have wanted to visit rome for about 8 years now! After planning, saving, and more planning I finally got the chance in oct. 2009...Almost from the get go, the beehive was my number one pick after reading many reviews and contacting linda about oh...a few dozen times! She was awesome with all my questions, and quick to respond. I stayed in the acacia apartment for six nights of which ill never forget. After arriving on the leonardo express, it was very easy getting to the beehive. ( i mistakingly used the via giolitti exit...lol) check in was a breeze, the girl at the check in counter was very helpful and even gave me a free map! Upon arriving at the acacia, i was very happy. Clean throughout the whole apt, bathroom was spotless and my room (#1) was of good size with very high ceiings! the view was like looking at a postcard, and the street below was never loud, save for an occasional tram car. at night i would look at the diners below and get goosebumps at the sound of an accordian playing for the diners, truly authentic...the true romans, living in the building would always give me a friendly glance, and some even seemed impressed that I, an american would choose to live so "close" to a different culture....( i hope i explained that ok) all in all a trip ill never forget, i saw everything i wanted to, even going for broke and making the unforgettable and very narrow trip to the top of st. peters dome...i think about rome almost daily and its been two months! whenever i come back to rome, the first thing ill do is call upon linda, and the great hotel, hostel, apartments that is the beehive....thanks again linda!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo