“Beehive was great!”

Ranked #5 of 1,093 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Brisbane, Australia
“Beehive was great!”
Reviewed 20 May 2007

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start of May and it was great. It was a little more expensive than the usual hostels we've stayed at in the past but it was worth it. The atmosphere was great, the staff were really nice and helpful and the rooms were clean and tidy. We stayed in a private room with shared bath but we never had to wait and they were nice and clean. It was only 2 min to the main train station so great if you are arriving by train and the metro station is right there aswell if you dont want to walk everywhere. The extra little touches make it stand out from other hostels, i would recommend 'The Beehive' to anyone staying in Rome.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rainsly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
new york, ny
Reviewed 26 April 2007

I stayed here for two nights in April with my boyfriend. We had a private room/shared bath. The room was very cute & modern, lots of space. It had a sink in it which was nice. They also give you fantastic fancy soaps- a nice little perk! Upon checkin you get a great guide book that they print themselves and it has good restaurant suggestions and tips on Rome. The staff was very helpful too. The room was clean, new towels each day and the bathrooms were quite clean for being "shared". They have a restaurant which was very inexpensive and delicous! I would definitely recommend it. Also there was free wireless internet- a major plus. The hostel is in close proximity to the train station which was very convenient. The locale was a little sketchy but we never felt threatened or nervous. The only problem we had here was that when you check out there is no where to leave your bags- we took them to the train station and stored them there. Overall, it was great- clean, central and cheap!

• Liked — restaurant, internet, cleanliness
  • Disliked — no bag storage
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alexyNewYork
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 18 April 2007

My husband and I stayed a very pleasant 5 nights in the Beehive Hostel's Acacia apartment in November several years ago. Perfect for our budget, and nicer than we were expecting for the price, our bedroom was simple but sufficiently furnished. Our room had a tiny terrace that overlooked a courtyard and was connected to the kitchen.

I've been told November is part of Rome's off-season, but there were only one or two nights when we had the apartment all to ourselves. Still, we rarely saw or heard much noise from the people staying in the apartment's other rooms. Bathroom and kitchen sharing was not a problem. Only one morning did I have to wait for someone to finish in the shower, and one evening we waited and cooked a late dinner after a couple of college students finished using the kitchen for an early dinner, but we enjoyed meeting them.

The neighborhood was very convenient to transportation and we usually rose early, walked around in Rome all day, and returned to the apartment in the evening. Several times we walked from the apartment to the main Beehive location to ask questions of the helpful staf). I also appreciated (and kept) the booklet the hostel gave out with recommendations of staff members' favorite places around the city.

We have recommended the Beehive and the Acacia apartment to other friends visiting Rome, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Great "crash pad" in a central location.
  • Disliked — It would have been nicer with a private bathroom, but then it would have been more expensive.
  • Stayed November 2003, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brickbats
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 17 April 2007

My fiance and I recently stayed at this beautiful hotel and I was so pleased and impressed that I felt it was necessary that I write a review and express just how wonderful this place was as to help guide other future travelers. On our first backpacking adventure through Europe we arrived at the hotel on April 6th after 2 days in Paris. We were both extremely exhausted but were quickly cheered up when we arrived and were greeted by the friendly staff. Although our dorm was not ready yet, the staff gave us the tour and showed us to the bathrooms so we could freshen up. We were both impressed at just how clean everything was. We spent the day touring Rome and returned back to your hotel for a good nights rest. We were greeted by Laura who was extremely friendly and completely made our stay. I can honestly say that I have only terrific things to say about Laura and their facilities. Our dorm beds were extremely comfortable and clean, Ingmar is the greatest (he's the resident cat!), the bathrooms were immaculate, the lounge was relaxing and it was a pleasure to be able to get on the internet for free!!! I also cannot sing Laura's praises enough!! She was willing to go above and beyond for us and that made us feel so welcomed. The next morning I had breakfast in the cafe conveniently located downstairs which was also delicious!! Also I want to mention since I was a bit nervous about sharing a bathroom that we had no problems whatsoever. I never had to wait once for a bathroom since there were plenty for everyone and each bathroom was immaculately clean. We were so happy with our stay we actually extended our stay there for another night since thankfully they had a last minute cancellation. We then were able to stay in one of the private rooms which once again exceeded our expectations. The room was large, beautifully decorated and once again clean and comfortable. We then had dinner in the hotels cafe which was definitely one of the best meals we ate our entire trip. I apologize but I do not remember the chef's name who prepared our dinner that night (4/7) but he was terrific and so accommodating and the food he prepared was excellent. I was extremely sad when we had to leave the next morning. I will definitely be recommending this hotel to all of our friends and cannot wait to come back and stay with you again. This hotel was definitely the best place we stayed throughout our entire trip through Europe!! Thank you all so much!!!

A few other important points I want to mention:

Safety- I felt completely safe here since in order to get in to even just the outside sitting area for this hotel you had to buzz your way through a locked door that only the staff could open for you from the inside. Also there are no lockouts and the staff is on 24/7 to assist you.

Location- It is is the ideal location for anyone as it is only 2 blocks away from the Roma train station which is also the hub for its two metro lines

Quietness- I also had no trouble getting a good nights rest when we returned from our long day exploring rome and were beyond exhausted. They do have implemented quiet hours which any normal person would respect out of common sense for the hour but thanks to the ideal location there was also no excessive noise coming from the streets.

Inezmarie Graci & Brody Docar =)

In addition I have to state since I feel that these sights are very important for travelers since I know this is how I did my research when deciding where to stay. I would love to answer any questions someone may have on this hotel since I was so pleased with my entire stay there. I am a 3rd year law student graduating this May and for being low on cash and trying to be as economical as possible my stay at this hotel was truly a pleasure and completely worth every cent!! My fiance & I have already said out of all of the places we stayed on this trip when we do finally have money to do Europe right w/o the heavy backpacks (haha) we will definitely choose to stay at this hotel again no matter what that is just how much we enjoyed it!! =)

• Liked — The wonderful staff and comfortable and clean accommodations
  • Disliked — That I could have stayed longer!!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Nezzy1621
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2007

I stayed at the Beehive for 10 days in March and I loved everyday! First of all, the close proximity to Termini is excellent (2 mins walk) !! Before I arrived in Rome I was a little worried about the reviews calling the area "sketchy" -especially being an attractive girl travelling alone. But it was not bad at all and I never felt threatened. (Granted, I would steer clear of Piazza della Repubblica at nite.) The ambience at the Beehive was very peaceful and everyone (staff & guests) was so friendly. I stayed in the dorm room, where I met several other young travelers who I became good friends with.
Its true that the door alarm can be a little loud but normally I was so tired from walking all day that nothing could wake me up. Also the day I arrived was Saturday + St. Patricks Day so there were lots of people on the streets, so it was quite noisy until about 3am. This obviously was not the fault of the Beehive, but just a heads up for those who are light sleepers: street noise can get a little loud.
My biggest complaint about Europe is their bathrooms...but at the Beehive there was no problem!! The water pressure was great, and if you weren't the last one to wake up then there was always hot water. I never had to wait to use a shower, that was nice.
I ate in the cafe a couple times and each time was very pleased. The cooks are very friendly and will usually talk with you while they cook.
I have nothing but great things to say about the Beehive. When I go back to Rome, I would never dream of staying anywhere else!! :D

• Liked — the atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank thetraverser
sicily
Reviewed 26 March 2007

My family and another family (7 total) stayed at one of the Beehive's apartment's, the Clover. We had so much luggage and the walk from Termini to the check in area then back to the apartment was not easy but it was okay. We loved the apartment. Just enough room for us all. It had no tv, but it had a MAC computer with free internet access. It was so convenient to be right by Termini(the busses, the Metro, the train). We shopped at the grocery store inside Termini(my kids loved the train station). It was kind of cold while we were in Rome, but the radiator heating was nice-course the building supervisors regulate the heat, but we were never cold inside the apartment. My only concern was that the hot water on the next to last day we were there kind of went in and out, but then again, there were 7 of us so maybe we just overused it! We couldn't hear the trains or anything, but some traffic down below(the apartment was on the 5th floor-their 5th, our 6th) but it had an elevator.
We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank cupcakeadc
Kansas
Reviewed 24 March 2007

If you're looking for the comfort of a nice hotel, the convenience of a place near the rail station and subway, the style of a boutique hotel, and the community of an international hostel (yet with private rooms), this is the place. There are nicer hotels in the world, but there are precious few with this kind of value.

My travel partner and I stayed at the Beehive in mid-January, 2007. The staff was consistently friendly, but friendliness means little to whether I enjoy a stay somewhere. I look for two things, above all else: a nice room with comfortable beds (check), and an atmosphere that fosters community among travelers (check!). The Beehive succeeds on both counts, and then some.

Stepping into the Beehive's courtyard (off of a street that is NOTHING like the seedy neighborhood that other reviewers seem to suggest you'll find, unless you consider the train station itself seedy--because that's the only place you'll find any shady characters around the Beehive, and you've got to get past them wherever you go), you'll find yourself in a lush, private garden with benches and coffee tables. It's a great place to unwind from the chaos of Rome, yet the garden isn't even the most welcoming spot in the Beehive. That's downstairs in the cafe/lounge--where you can just as easily spark a conversation with other travelers from all over the world as you can sit in private and read a book while you sip your coffee or wine. Thanks to the owners' impeccable sense of decor (including ever-changing art exhibits), you feel like you're staying in the kind of place that ought to cost more than double what you pay for a double here.

Hanging out in the lounge/cafe, I made friends with a writer and a graphic designer from England, as well as a couple of American travelers and an Australian. The average age of the guests, I'd say, was around thirty. One or two were in college, many were in their twenties, and a few were middle-aged. As far as I could tell, everyone felt welcomed. The cafe is a great find, too. I've traveled to Italy three times, and near the end of each trip I've grown a little tired of Italian restaurant fare. The cafe here offers delicious, healthy options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And the prices are very good, too.

If there's one minor flaw, it's something that you'll find in a lot of other hotels, as well: there's an elevator somewhere else in the building that makes just a little bit of noise throughout the night. This did not bother me in the least on the first night, and on the second I was able to use the overhead fan to drown out any other sounds. So, in the end, this was no problem at all.

The Beehive isn't quite central to ancient Rome, but it's so close to Termini Station that it's easy to hope into the flow and bustle of the city. At Termini, you can catch a train, a bus, a cab or the metro--and, if you're like me, you can easily walk on to your destination. I especially enjoyed the walk from the Beehive to the Colosseum, and we took the metro right back at the end of the day.

If I'm gushing (and I don't gush easily), it's because this is my favorite hotel in Italy. That won't, however, stop me from hoping to find a better one someday. Meanwhile, when I go back to Rome, I'll stay here.

Good luck with your travels!

• Liked — Hard to choose: the community, the decor, the cafe
  • Disliked — One of the three showers was a bit cramped.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family