“Fabulous Location!”

Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna
Ranked #1,003 of 3,735 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This hotel is located between the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, a great spot for easily reaching many attractions in the heart of Rome. It's also nice to be able to pop back into the hotel at any time. I stayed here 4 nights, and found it to be very comfortable, the staff were very friendly and helpful regarding transportation and information about local attractions. The room is a decent size for a single with ensuite, and was kept clean. The breakfast was continental style with bread, croissants, cereal, yogurt , fruit and coffee or tea. There is a machine in the breakfast area where you can get a coffee or tea at any time, which I found very convenient. The hotel is on the 4th floor of an older building, and has a lift. There is not a 24 hr reception, but it was easy to let yourself in and out and the entrance was secure. I really enjoyed my few days there, and would stay there again if I return to Rome...that is if that coin in the Trevi Fountain works it's magic!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 January 2012

This hotel is very centrally located but not on a major street...so it's quiet. The rooms are small but adequate. I had a superior room w/balcony and it was nice...must tell you that I had the room by myself so space was not an issue.

Room Tip: definitely get a superior room, I believe there are only 3 so book well in advance.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank thegigibun
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This hotel is centrally located and the manager is cordial. Nothing else is commendable. The lobby is a closet like room which is not always staffed. Our room was clean but very small. The view unlike the pictures on the web site, was of scaffolding on the adjacent building almost within arms length. The breakfast room is small and food offering very limited. The T.V. did not work. We were not in Rome to watch T.V., but it should have functioned. We stayed at hotels and agriturismos from Milan to Venice to Florence to Rome and in between.
Rome is teriffic. This Hotel was the only disappointment and not worth 180 euros per night, even at Rome prices.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank frank m
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The hotel is in a great location being only 250 metres from the Spanish Steps and Spagna metro station. room is ok (we booked triple room, even we were 2)
breakfast is not good even it was in room price.
no reception after 11pm. good restaurant adviced by the staff was very good and not turist one (i think it s name is ramba or rampa, near AMEX)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MamdouhSA
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed at Il Piccolo for 5 nights and, eventhough the triple is tiny, the balcony, the elevator, and the cleanliness of the room makes up for it.
Great location to Trevi and Spanish Steps.
We will go back.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room, with A/C.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Katherine O
stefanotar, Direttore at Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

and we will wait for you!

Reviewed 24 July 2011

I agree with most of the negative reviews: the rooms are ugly and small (even for us Parisians, used to small spaces!) and grungy and the service ranges indifferent to hostile. There was no iron available, unacceptable for a 3-star hotel in a major European city. The housekeeping cart is permanently parked in the hallway: this sounds like a petty complaint until you return from a day from elegant Rome and are struck by the site of cleaning products: this truly lacks class! We asked for a "simple" restaurant and were directed to an awful, over-priced tourist trap. We asked whether we'd parked our car legally and the receptionist didn't know. The return at night is truly unwelcoming: you must buzz from downstairs, wait several minutes, and then go up to the fourth floor (the cubicle that serves as reception is closed at night.) We didn’t know this until other guests who happened to be waiting, too, told us: no one at reception had. These same guests, enthusiastic Californians obvious trying to remain optimistic, described the hotel as “interesting”: this is not a compliment!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PacoParis
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I was greeted by name and shown to my room by Patrizia a very friendly lady who also gave me a map and gave me information on the local area. The hotel is a bit hard to find about half way along Via Due Macelli just after the junction with Via Cappola Di Case above a shoe shop with just a brass plaque outside. If you are coming from the Spanish Steps it is on the right. There is a very small antiquated lift to take you up to the 4th floor where the rooms are but it works fine so not a problem. My room was Borromini, small but comfortable and had everything I needed and was very quiet. The view was over roof tops and the church/bell tower behind the hotel. The bell rings at 7am each morning so no need for an alarm clock! The shower in the bathroom was very small and I struggled with the doors on occasions but the water was plentiful and hot. The breakfast is not good,a choice of only one croissant or bread roll or yogurt and one drink so use one of the numerous cafes nearby if you need food in the morning.
The hotel is in a great location being only 250 metres from the Spanish Steps and Spagna metro station and if you walk 250 metres in the other direction down to Via del Tritone and cross the road there is a bus stop used by various open bus tour companies. I took one of these on my first day to get my bearings and see the main sights and found it very useful. The Trevi Fountain is also a short walk away and well worth a visit. Do climb the Spanish Steps and visit Pincio for amazing views over the city and take a breather in the lovely shady park. I really enjoyed my stay at Piccolo the staff were friendly and helpful, my room was clean and comfortable and I felt safe in the area which is important if you travel on your own as I do. If you want something other that chain hotel sameness with a bit of character at a reasonable price you could do much worse in Rome.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a balcony where you can sit out.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo