Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna
Orbitz.com
US$1,094
US$598
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I arrived in Rome and the first man who was working in the hotel was very accomodating since I didnt have my reservation number as my friend was coming to Rome a bit later that day and he had all the details. He then showed me the room and told me it was a single but if I was happy with the size we could stay there as it did have a double bed. Although the room was tiny and the bathroom very small we were happy enough to stay in it. Anyway, The second night we came home after dinner around midnight and were met by the night staff who was rude, arrogant and aggressive when he attacked us saying that he didnt have my document on file and that I would not be able to stay there that night without paying a suppliment for the room. The document and suppliment were not an issue, it was his aggressive attitude towards his guests!! He even said "for all I know you could be a P".....(then paused thought about it and said "a bad person". He aggresively told us that we had taken total advantage of staying in a single room. I told him his colleague had obviously made the mistake by not asking me for the extra or my passport and that it certainly was not our fault. He was grinding his teath with the anger. We demanded to speak to the hotel manager, so he called someone and spoke to him and never handed me the phone saying the Manager refused to speak to me. This is customer service?? After a big discussion I gave him my Irish Passport and the extra money and the next day I spoke to the first guy, who laughed it off and said that it was just this guys CHARACTER!! And we got no apology whatsoever for how we had been treated. This hotel is located on Piazza di Spagna and you would think that the staff would be trained in hospitality even if it is a three star hotel. The guy who works night shift was a nasty, angry and ignorant man who should not be working in this industry and he ruined our stay in Rome. I would NOT recommend staying at that hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sarahope
Reviewed 29 August 2008

I spent one night in this hotel and I found it "perfect" for my needs....a small, sweet, clean and very good located hotel in Rome.
If you don't want a 5 star, overcrowded, international hotel this is the perfect choice! The location is amazing (3 minutes walk from Spagna metro station), the staff was very kind, it looked like to stay in a friend's house, not in an hotel!
If you are a "real traveler" that want to taste "the atmospheres" of the towns you visit, this is your choice.
If you need crowded swimmingpools, ballrooms, restaurants and so on....forget it!!

I already reccomend it to my friends!

Manuel

(Thailand)

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Eurasian_Traveler
Reviewed 21 October 2007

We decided to stay at this hotel for one night because of the reviews on trip advisor and the photos on the hotel's internet site,

So, We learnt a lesson. Never to get carried away by reviews and never to believe what you see on websites.

It was our upteenth time to Rome but this hotel ranked as one of the worst I have ever been to in my life (supposedly 3 star).

The room was miniscule and run down. I therefore immediately went downstairs to complain we were given another room which was slightly better but still terrible.

My wife and I therefore decided to leave. The person at the desk told us we were free to go (I started to believe I was in prison) but had to pay!! We argued and finally left.

Do yourselves a favour stay away.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fuzz999
Reviewed 25 April 2007

Just returned from a fantastic 8-day trip to Rome/Florence with our 15 yr. old son. We stayed at Il Piccolo di Piazza di Spagna from Monday through Friday. Having never been to Rome, we took the advice of some friends who told us that Spanish Steps was a good, central location at which to stay. They had stayed at Il Piccolo so we followed suit. The hotel is VERY small -- no lobby, no game room -- since this was a sightseeing vacation though, those amenities weren't missed. It would be nice to have a lobby to go to, however, on that 2nd morning when you wake up all out of whack due to jet lag. Thankfully, our room had a balcony so I could sneak out there so as not to wake my husband or son. Anyway, the hotel is OLD -- an antique-looking elevator lift takes you up to the 4th floor, the only floor on which all 11 rooms of the hotel are located. There is a TINY breakfast area which serves an adequate continental breakfast from 7:00-10:00. The room we had was really quite small to house 3 people -- there was about an inch and a half between our bed and my son's twin bed -- made for tight squeezes. The bathroom was adequate however there was no shower -- you have to sit in the tub and hold a hand-held device to shampoo your hair. Ladies, beware -- BRING YOUR OWN HAIRDRYER and ADAPTOR!! The hairdryers in Italy require you to hold down a button constantly while blowdrying -- makes for very interesting hairdo's! All in all, the hotel is in a very good location but the rooms are very small and the hotel staff, except for the woman who works during the day, really don't know English and can't help with any questions you may have. We paid roughly $300 USD per night and it just wasn't what you'd get in the states for $300. The city of Rome is just magnificent though so go and enjoy it -- you'll be out all day enjoying the breathtaking statues and buildings and won't be in the room much at all.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank tonyandpatty
Reviewed 9 December 2006

Our experience with this place tainted what was otherwise a great trip around Italy. We booked the hotel on the hotel web site, and selected the hotel because of the amenities listed on that web site. On the train in to Rome from Naples, we made a call in for directions, only to be told they had unilaterally moved us to another hotel a quarter of a mile away (the Spagna Inn). Our protests fell on deaf ears. Given the lateness in the day and our inability to find other lodgings on such short notice, we had no choice but to take the other room. The room and other facilities at Spagna Inn were not at all acceptable, and not on a level with what we had agreed to. To begin, the facilities at the Spagna Inn lacked nearly all the amenities represented to be available at the Piccolo. Unlike the Piccolo, the Spagna Inn has no elevator, TV room, game room, garden/terrace, jacuzzi, or room service, as advertised on the Piccolo's web site. On our arrival at the Spagna Inn, the individual at the front desk refused to assist carrying our luggage to our fourth floor room up the hotel's small, winding staircase. Essentially, my female traveling companion and I were told that we were on our own getting our luggage (consisting of three large suitcases) to our room. When we arrived in our room, we found the room's safe did not work, and when we informed the front desk of that fact, he informed us that his colleague would try to come by "around 8:00 p.m." to look at it. It took multiple calls to the Piccolo before someone came to open the safe. As a result, we were delayed for nearly an hour in beginning any sightseeing during our one afternoon in Rome. Later, when we got ready to leave for dinner and asked the front desk to call us a cab, we were informed that "there are no taxis in this region." This is unbelievable, given the fact that the hotel is less than three blocks from the Spanish Steps. As a final insult, we discovered the morning of our departure for the Rome airport that the Piccolo's promised "shuttle to airport" would cost us $45 - exactly the price of a taxi cab ride. Again, the Piccolo and Spagna Inn failed to provide the services promised, or at the very least deliberately misled us as to the services provided. Bottom line - don't trust these guys at Piccolo.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple