“Could do better”

Ranked #478 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Bath, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is recommended by both Splendia and Time Out, however I regret not reading the previous reviews on Tripadvisor before booking! Having read some very mixed reviews, and helpful roomtips I emailed the hotel to reiterate the requests I'd made through Expedia - that I'd like a bathtub, a high floor and a balcony if possible. Understandably not every request can be met, but my email wasn't replied to, which didn't bode well. Lo and behold, when I arrived I was given the key to my room (which I had to go back and change as it didn't work) and discovered I had been given a 2nd floor room, with a shower (no tub) and a window onto the internal courtyard. It was Easter weekend, so perhaps they were busy, but at least acknowledging my requests would have been courteous. Aside from my room requests being over looked, the room itself was very nice. Not quite 'heavenly' but clean, light, high ceilinged, robe and slippers provided, comfy bed. Not exceptional though - no complimentary bottled water, no wine glasses, no tea and coffee making facilities, noisy a/c. Too many naff toiletries, a few good quality products would be better. A lot of promotional brochures for other hotels, and no information about things you might need to know - e.g. a price list for the mini bar. Overall though, the room was nice. The rest of the hotel however I thought was lacking.
The two factors after location that had attracted me to the hotel were the rooftop bar and the spa, as I was travelling alone I wanted a hotel with facilities I could enjoy onsite. Well, the rooftop bar was closed - with no prior notification of this - so that ruled out relaxing glasses of prosecco, reading my book soaking up the view, which I couldn't do from my interior courtyard room; so I tried the spa. I'd been told on check in it would be closed on the second morning I was there, so knew I had to make the most of this in my first 24 hours. My first visit on Friday evening was a total let down. The pool it tepid, and dated. The jacuzzi section has nowhere to sit, but the pool area that has seats is too cool to sit in. Worse, both the sauna and steam room were set too cool. As I left someone was asking for them to be turned up. Thankfully I returned the next afternoon, and found both the sauna and steam room at an enjoyable temperature and spent time in both, and in the lounge in between. The 'hot' water for herbal teas and the pool itself both remained too tepid to be of any benefit though.
I didn't use either the restaurant or bar, as the lobby 'hell' theme is taken too far, to the point of being tacky. Whilst I would have happily paid the €15 a cocktail for a drink on the (closed) rooftop on account of the view, you couldn't have paid me to drink in the tacky red/black lobby bar. Definitely 'style' over substance.
One last grievance, which another reviewer has already mentioned - the wifi code. Great to have free wifi (it should be standard in all hotels by now) - however it is the least user-friendly I have ever known. Every time I wanted to connect I had to re-enter two 8 digit codes. Not just every day. Every. Single. Time. I'm sure this could be set up differently if they were so inclined!
Will I be back to Rome, quite possibly yes. To the Boscolo? Doubtful, unless they improve their communication to guests, and start taking notice of constructive feedback. It could be a great hotel, the rooms are lovely, and the location is great, but I get the impression they're happy just doing their thing.

Room Tip: You can try requesting a high floor or a balcony but they might not acknowledge your request!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Couldn't ask for more. Great facility. Good location Good breakfast and room service. Better than outstanding staff.
The airlines had lost our luggage and all the staff, daytime and nighttime, went out of their way to assist us with getting what we needed and in contacting the airlines for us until our luggage was delivered.
Would definitely stay here again if we ever get back to Rome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I arrived from the airport in a taxi, as it pulled up outside the hotel someone opened the door for me then removed my luggage and carried it into the hotel. I arrived much earlier than check in, but the hotel done everything they could to make it possible for me to check in 6 hours early. The room was beautiful and house keeping kept on top of everything for my entire stay. the staff on the desk couldn't of done any more for me, so helpful and very knowledgable, and recommended some beautiful places to dine. I had breakfast at the hotel each morning which was to die for. The spa was fantastic. Its just a shame my break was over so quickly, I have already booked another visit to the Aleph and can not wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

The location is amazing for sight seeing and the staff are really very helpful and pleasant, we did enjoy our stay, but the few things I would mention are...
We arrived really late and so ordered room service off the late night menu, when it eventually arrived it was disgusting. Just really poor quality, slightly stale food. That cost loads and delivered very little in the way of taste and satisfaction. I was very disappointed
The next morning we discovered the breakfast is extortionate €35 per person and it was rubbish, very little choice and bit great quality wise, it was the only time the staff were unpleasant to deal with, but we only tried once so it might not normally be like that. You can't even get a coffee before 7am, luckily there is a cafe on the square where you can get a great hot breakfast and coffee for €10 at 6am, so go there. We gave up trying to eat in the hotel at this point.
Our room keys stopped working after 3 days and when I went down to get them sorted, I wasn't asked for any ID by a member of staff I had never seen before, I just told her the room number and was given a working key which made me feel slightly uncomfortable security wise, especially as the hotel was full for the marathon.
When we went to check out we were given someone else's bill, which was a new experience for me. Not really a problem all sorted quite quickly but just odd.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, I'd recommend it except for the food.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I am quite confused about how to describe my impressions as the hotel itself is nice but...I would not go as far as using the word "luxury". I would say 3/4*.
I suppose it depends on our standards and, this hotel did not meet mine.

However, the team was very nice, professional and always ready to help! They were lovely.

The room was clean but (and this is a detail which I consider important even if not significant to everybody) the linens were of poor quality for a 5*.

We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant, chef is Gaetano Costa. I was expecting more. Good but nothing to rave about.
We were seated right next to what seemed to be a working area for the staff, with a bright light flashing right at us in an ambiance which would have otherwise been romantic and tamisée...small detail but easy to notice.

However, location was perfect!

Room Tip: Our room was quite noisy (fan outside ran all night and water ran from the toilet...dripping sounds)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Theetiquettorialist
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a business trip to Rome. I stayed at Boscolo Aleph and I was accommodated in room 101 which is incredibly noisy. Upon complaining I was given another room which was very nice. I was rather disappointed to hear that the front desk is well aware of the fact that room 101 is unacceptable if you want to sleep properly. Given the fact that the hotel was not fully booked I am really disappointed that the FO management did not initially consider accommodating me in a better room. Apart from that the staff was very mindful and attentive. The gym is okay (not all cardio machines are working properly) - also the aircon in the gym doesn't walk properly. I am not sure if I would choose the Aleph again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 746christians
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel for a weekend stay although it's very expensive it's worth it for the romantic Rome atmosphere, close to the rail network and shopping area. Breakfast was a good selection and the staff were fantastic.

• Stayed November 2013