“Very Disappointed with My Choice to Stay Here”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Daphne Trevi

Daphne Trevi
Ranked #213 of 3,762 Rome B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Disappointed with My Choice to Stay Here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

We recently traveled to 7 different cities on a European vacation and Rome was one of our stops. After intensive research, I decided to book Daphne Trevi. Unfortunately, it was the only big "miss" of the 7 hotels I booked for our trip. I was shocked that there were so many positive reviews on this site and that it is legitimately listed in so many other guides.

Disappointments:
- Loud adjoining breakfast room. We booked a double room with ensuite bathroom, which ended up being on the third floor. Unfortunately, the door is right off the kitchen and dining area for the breakfast room. I chose this hotel over another because I was worried of the loud street noise from the other hotel. Who knew I traded that for clinging glasses, the natural sounds of dining and the capaccuino machine beginning at 7am. There were three other rooms on the same floor, and they would've all experienced the same thing. I was shocked to see how close the rooms are to this area. In addition, those in that room or visiting the (slow) computer could surely hear showers, hair dryers and toilet flushes.

- Not as modern, clean and updated as expected. There were scuff marks on the walls, the "check-in" area is a cheap desk table and it just didn't feel "nice" or upscale. I looked at the photos again and think it makes it look so much nicer than it really is. The shower temperature really fluctuated...it would become scalding hot to the point that you would want to bust through the glass to avoid it and then freezing cold at points. This was quite frustrating.

-Location: This is my fault for not researching the location as much as I should've, but I didn't love the location at all once I got there and familiarized myself with the city. Yes, you will visit Trevi and probably the Spanish Steps area, but likely only once. It is also extremely touristy and chock full of people. After exploring for a few days, we really wished we would've been able to say by the Campo di Fiori area. It has a great plaza, several restaurants and is hopping with locals. It is close to Piazza Navona and centrally located to so many fantastic sites whether the touristy locations you must visit as well as areas with a great local feel away from souvenier shops. At first I was slightly concerned that the ally might seem a little unsafe, but it seemed to be okay, although it is full of dumpsters and we once passed a guy urinating. I definitely wouldn't want to stay there if I was alone. It is quite isolated, down a narrow ally street and as many others have mentioned, the main door is often not closed all the way. I would be nervous walking up the spiral staircase on my own too at night.

-This felt more like an upscale hostel than a hotel or bed and breakfast.

-There is only one person on staff b/t 7am-9:30pm, so if you have needs/questions regarding your itinerary, exploring the area, checking-in/out, you may have to wait until other guests are done.

Likes:
-cappucino/latte's in the morning
-helpful intro when you check-in that highlights points of interest on the map and suggested walking tour
-email communication offering to help with airport transfers, ensuring you have directions and offering to set up any tours/tickets.
-not that far from a taxi stand if needed.

It is also close to a metro stop, although you will likely find that this metro stop will require you to transfer to get to the line that takes you where you really want to go. The metro was so crowded (and therefore felt unsafe) and there seemed to be miles of walking to transfer lines, so we avoided this after our first use when arriving.

Overall, I was definitely very regretful of my choice and apologetic to my husband upon arriving. I would not recommend this hotel nor stay here again.

4 Thank blunistgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

I just spent two nights here in May, 2010, and I would recommend it to anyone. It's clean and convenient - you stay on a quiet street but a two minutes' walk puts you right in the middle of everything you could want in Rome (Trevi Fountain, tour buses, and the metro to all other sites). The staff made you feel as if you were family that had arrived in town, and were always accessible even when the office closed (you actually get the owner's home number in case anything goes wrong - he lives nearby). The rooms are the most modern I had in all my Italian travels, and were very comfortable. I loved it that there was no TV because really, who needs TV when you're right down the street from Trevi Fountain?!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

I loved the Daphne! I just stayed four nights in May and had a wonderful experience. The rooms were modern decorated and had very comfortable plush beds, plus the windows blocked out the street noise perfectly. It was also nice to have the sitting room/living room outside the bedrooms with the laptop internet use. It made it feel like you had more living space than just the bedroom.

The staff were exceptional in helping us plan our tours and trip before we arrived as well as once we were there. Once we arrived and were checking in at the front desk a staff member sat with us for over 20 minutes to show us where to go all over Rome. It was fantastic and we used the highlighted map the whole time we were there. Breakfast is included in the price and it was a great set up every morning. The Daphne provides the B&B/condo feel that makes you feel at home. We also loved the central location in Rome and it was nice to be near the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and the metro train station. I would highly recommend this hotel for the price, location, great room, and staff!

Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

We stayed here for four nights in early May.
The hotel is on a small and very quiet side street close to Trevi Fountain and very convenient to everything.

The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spacious and decorated in a current decor. The air conditioning worked wonderful and we all slept soundly through the night.

The breakfast each morning was quite good and more than enough to hold you over until lunch.

The welcome we received was wonderful, including detailed maps with convenient walking tours and restaurants.

There is no lift / elevator, but don't let that even factor into your decision. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2010

The Daphne Trevi is in a lovely building on a quiet street just about a 5 minute walk from the Trevi fountain. It is very convenient to get to by public transport, as it is only a 2 minute walk from Barbarini Metro Station, which in turn is only two stops away from Termini, the main train/bus station in Rome (where you get the bus or train to either of the two airports). It is about a 20 minute walk to Piazza Navona where there are lots of great places to eat and drink, and about 20-30 minutes to walk to the ancient sites.

We were met by Franco at reception, who welcomed us brilliantly to the hotel. He mapped out a route for us to walk all around Rome on our first day, made a dinner reservation for us that was quite close to the hotel, and was just generally an incredibly friendly and helpful host. Thank you, Franco.

Our room was No. 322 (small double), which was on the third floor. While it was small, it was still very comfortable, with nice decor and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was good, with lots of hot water, and clean. The only complaint I have about the room is that there was a bit of tv noise coming from other rooms in the building at night when we were trying to sleep, and a lot of noise from the breakfast room in the morning, which adjoined our room.

So, a good place to stay for exploring Rome, with convenient location and comfortable and clean room, alongside some fantastic service (courtesy of Franco).

1 Thank Melloppi
Frankfurt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

We stayed at Daphne Inn Trevi because of its great location just minutes away from the Trevi Fountain and the historic center. The room we had was a small double room looking onto a small patio. It was small indeed, but absolutely ok for a couple. The pillows have been quite hard, but we slept without them. They served a good breakfast with freshly brewed espresso, cappuchino, etc., bread, ham, cheese, muesli and some cake. And there is a laptop with free internet access in the common area which is a truly great for those addicted to the net. But what really makes this location special is the staff at the reception, they are super friendly, very helpful and gave us a lot of restaurant tips (they also to the reservation for you). Highly recommended B&B!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

On arrival we were welcomed by Franco who went through everything with us,gave us a map circled things we really should see,Arranged our trips You must do the colossium and the vatican. we had a very cosy room and the food in the morning was very good plenty of choice and lots of it.Whenever we went to reception nothing was to much trouble and his recomendations for places to eat were spot on.We had a great time and hope to return to rome one day and it will definitly be a trip back to the Daphne to stay

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple