“Loved it!”

Ranked #2,589 of 3,669 Rome B&B and Inns
UK
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We stayed for 2 nights between 7th - 9th July and loved the Banchi Vecchi.

The room was large and clean with a double and single bed, flat screen TV and tea/coffeee making facilities and fridge. The bathroom was also large and clean.

The front desk was manned 24 hours a day and they were extremely helpful in providing a map of Rome and suggesting sights to see.

At the front of the hotel is a boutique clothes shop with many designer dresses and bags but walk through it to get to the reception desk.

There was plenty to choose from for breakfast and they brought it up to your room on a trolley if the dining area was full. There are only a small number of rooms so this fills up quickly.

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from the Vatican and 5 minutes to piazza navona so everywhere is within easy reach.

Overall a great experience in a clean and well located hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple

Solo
Philly, PA
Reviewed 19 February 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at the Relais Banchi Vecchi.

We came on the train and took a taxi to RBV. The taxi driver wasn't 100% sure where it was but one call one the phone to his headquaters and away we went.

I must admit that I was a little uncertain when we dropped off in the small side street/alleyway -- which is where the entrance is but that all evaporated when I entered the B and B.

We were quite warmly greated and shown to a room on the 2nd floor. They have a lift here and we used it to transport the bags up the stairs.

The room was quite large and had a refrigerator which we made use of. The bathroom was impressive -- lots of marble. (However like a lot of traveling in Italy -- some days there was more hot water than others. )

Breakfast was good/simple -- bread/rolls/butter/jelly. The coffee smelled great -- but not being a coffee drinker, I can't really tell you if was any good.

We didn't encounter much noise from the outside/neighbors except when the football/soccer game was on and we could tell when a goal was scored from all the celebrating.

There wasn't much of a view out the windows but the bed was very comfortable. It was very easy to relax here after lot of walking around in Rome

And we did walk everywhere! We were pretty centrally located so we walked to the Vatican, the Trevi fountain, the Piazza Navona, Trastevere (etc).

We came back later in the evening after dark and always felt safe walking to RBV.

I would recommend this location to anyone.

• Liked — Great location, good price, large room, impressive bathroom
  • Disliked — Inital impression of sidestreet/alleyway was not postive -- but seemed very safe
  • Stayed September 2007
Sheffield
Reviewed 12 August 2007

We got married in Rome and stayed at relais banchi vecchi for 4 nights. It was an amazing B & B and made our wedding a dream come true. The rooms are huge and have loads of character, with large wooden beams on the ceiling, parquet flooring, marble bathroom and lovely dark furniture. It had everything you could need, a small kitchenette, satellite TV and air conditioning. Melina, the owner was very friendly and so were the staff that brought breakfast up to our rooms. We loved having breakfast in bed, you normally pay extra in a hotel! The location was perfect and it was very secure. We got a great deal as we stayed in August and we would definately come back and stay here again. To sum up, it is the best B & B we have ever stayed in!!

• Liked — The character and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank BethandRich
Kent
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My wife and I stayed here on our wedding anniversary for 2 nights in June and found the room and location absolutely perfect. Wooden beams, marble bath, comfy bed and right in the middle of all of the tourist attractions. Excellent service from the lovely staff. Also gave us a key for the back door on the last day (after checkout) so that we could keep our luggage in the foyet. Would recommend this to anyone who wants a reasonably priced, well looked after room in a sight seeing location.

• Liked — Well looked after, good location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisiana
Reviewed 23 June 2007

This B&B has a lot to offer but also a very serious drawback. There is no staff there on the premises after noon and there is no phone for guests to use to contact the owner when a problem occurs. The air conditoner in our friends' room didn't work properly and our bathroom light didn't work. Our satellite tv never worked for the four nights we stayed there. On our second day our friends were assured that the owner would be in her office (which is locked and has the only phone) at 5 p.m. as they were expecting to receive a phone call . That same evening, after shampooing my hair I discovered there was no hairdryer. (The rooms are advertised as being equipped with hairdryers.) We had to keep going downstairs to check and see if the owner had come in and she finally showed up about 7 p.m. She assured me that of course there are hairdryers but you had to ask her for one. I was wondering how she expected the guests to guess this as she didn't bother to provide that information on check-in. In fact there are no written instructions anywhere regarding operating the tv or the air conditioner, or how to contact her in an emergency.

The breakfast is served in the rooms but there is really no place to sit and eat it comfortably. We complained that the coffee was cold when it arrived and had to finally send it back to get hot coffee.

In spite of these problems, the property is lovely, the rooms large and the bathrooms large and very nicely furnished (although the hot water never gets hot and the pressure is nil). It wouldn't take much to correct the problems and it would be a really attractive place to stay. We're not asking for hotel service, but telephone access for guests is a necessity. Italians are famous for relying on their cell phones but foreign travelers (especially from the U.S.) don't generally have use of them abroad.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank labelladonna
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2007

Hi my husband took me here for my birthday in Nov 06, and it was lovely. The room was large with wooden beams accross the ceiling and a huge double bed. It cld get a bit noisy with the windows open with traffic noise, tho not a busy road. It was great having our breakfast brought up to us in the morning which isnt huge but fresh coffee and croissants. The bathroom is superb and very clean. The best part is its so near everything. Ok there isnt someone there all the time but we dont want fussed over and like to do our own thing anyway, the main thing is someone is there to meet you and bring your brekky up and see you off. Superb! Just a warning re taxi from bus station whoppping overcharge which my husband didnt pay and paid the suggested fare that the lady at the Relais adv was normal. Driver not HP but knew he was in wrong and drove off not too chuffed. Agree the fair before you get in cab.

• Liked — It was so central and clean
  • Disliked — Road outside can be noisy with mopeds in the morning
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angelstorrie
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 17 May 2007

For the price it was an excellent value. Fantastic location (tho a bit tough to find, thank God I had read on this forum that it was down a tiny alley and the door is practially unmarked except for a tiny gold plaque.) My apartment agency booked this for me for one night before my apartment rental was to begin, so I had not researched it personally.
Newton was wonderful, he greeted me by name and showed me upstairs. Elevator, yay! The room was a good size, ditto the spotless bath. I was jetlagged and disoriented while I was there but really was happy with the overall accommodations. I would not like to spend a week there as I prefer an apartment to a hotel room but this place was perfect for my one-night need. As stated above, this is not really a hotel and you are mostly on your own.

On Day #2 I moved about 2 blocks away to a very large apartment on Via dei Capellari which I loved also.

Stayed May 2007