“lovely room very central”

Relais Banchi Vecchi
Ranked #2,605 of 3,739 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2007

Hi my husband took me here for my birthday in Nov 06, and it was lovely. The room was large with wooden beams accross the ceiling and a huge double bed. It cld get a bit noisy with the windows open with traffic noise, tho not a busy road. It was great having our breakfast brought up to us in the morning which isnt huge but fresh coffee and croissants. The bathroom is superb and very clean. The best part is its so near everything. Ok there isnt someone there all the time but we dont want fussed over and like to do our own thing anyway, the main thing is someone is there to meet you and bring your brekky up and see you off. Superb! Just a warning re taxi from bus station whoppping overcharge which my husband didnt pay and paid the suggested fare that the lady at the Relais adv was normal. Driver not HP but knew he was in wrong and drove off not too chuffed. Agree the fair before you get in cab.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angelstorrie

Reviewed 17 May 2007

For the price it was an excellent value. Fantastic location (tho a bit tough to find, thank God I had read on this forum that it was down a tiny alley and the door is practially unmarked except for a tiny gold plaque.) My apartment agency booked this for me for one night before my apartment rental was to begin, so I had not researched it personally.
Newton was wonderful, he greeted me by name and showed me upstairs. Elevator, yay! The room was a good size, ditto the spotless bath. I was jetlagged and disoriented while I was there but really was happy with the overall accommodations. I would not like to spend a week there as I prefer an apartment to a hotel room but this place was perfect for my one-night need. As stated above, this is not really a hotel and you are mostly on your own.

On Day #2 I moved about 2 blocks away to a very large apartment on Via dei Capellari which I loved also.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank LesterB
Reviewed 14 February 2007

I was a tour guide in Rome for 3 years and I lived right around the corner from this place. I picked up dozens of my clients from here and they each gave glowing reviews. I also booked in several of my private clients and my mother and the mother of my husband. I always dealt directly with the owner, who is lovely, but who is not always available. I think for a lot of clients coming from the states this may seem strange, and the fact that you pay up front, no receipt and no person there waiting on you hand and foot can be a bit odd? However, I've seen the inside of 100's of hotels in Rome and stayed in some of the "nicest". I have to say that this place is tops for location and it can't be beat at this price for it's charm and neatness. You want a scam, just try booking at the Minerva or the Helvetia or even the Hassler, Rome has very different standards of quality than many of you may be used to.

Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank GSmarchal
Reviewed 1 December 2006

While this looks like a nice place to stay (it was), we booked three nights before we went to Florence and then three nights after our return. When we returned, we discovered they had "over booked". They offered us accomodations at another property but it was a terrible place to stay even though they gave us a "discount".

Don't stay here. These people are dishonest. I actually spoke to the owner about it and she said, "The airlines overbook all the time," as if this justified leaving us having to accept their second tier substitution since we didn't have other reservations. We left the noisy place they put us in for our last three days and went to the airport Hilton!

Stayed: October 2004
5  Thank sweetman47
Reviewed 13 November 2006

Can be difficult to find but in a great location. The room was great, however we were surprised to find that we had to pay upfront on arrival and no receipt given. Apparently the caretaker is only there in the morning. The lane side of the building can be a bit noisy but the room is very large and spacious and staff ( when there ) are friendly. The breakfast to the room is super. Great central location 10 mins from vatican and near a square for all your restaurant needs.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank inutero
Reviewed 2 November 2006

We booked 2 nights here over the internet, about 6 weeks later we were informed that they had not updated their bookings and they had overbooked and now moved us to another B&B (San Cosimato also known as Tamara Suites) which was NOT in the same location (Trevestere - on the other side of the river) - this does look like a scam and we were told the B&B they moved us to was brand new and therefore had no reviews, the pictures looked good so we took a chance and went with it (couldn't face anymore hours trawling the internet), they said we had a Superior room (it definitely wasn't) and the rate was slightly lower. Looks to me as if they deliberately over book so they can fill their other B&B at San Cosimato.

However, Tamara Suites turned out to be lovely, great location on the other side of the river which we never would have visited had we not been staying there, if you are thinking of Booking the Relais Banchi Vecchi, think twice, because these people don't seem very honest, and you may be disappointed. Check out Tamara Suites because this is where you may end up!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank joanna345
Reviewed 6 October 2006

A group of us (six people) stayed here for a week at the beginning of September - it was a fantastic place to stay and overall we had no complaints.

The location itself is very central and all the main attractions are within walking distance.

The rooms were beautiful and Milena (the owner) and Newton (the housekeeper) very helpful and friendly.

We would definitely stay here again.

From the outside it has to be said that the Relais does not look anything special; inside it is just like the website and absolutely perfect. Breakfast can be taken in your room or at the small snack bar around the corner. We chose to visit the bar every day (breakfast consisted of pastries, lattes and orange juice).

Overall we have no complaints at all about the Relais - it was excellent value for money, central and beautiful and clean.

The only drawback with the Relais we found was the noise. There is a restaurant next door (it is only small) and one of our rooms was on that side so experienced some noise from that. Also the water wasnt piping hot either which was not a problem for us as it was hot when we was there; in the winter it might be a problem.

However, I would definitely recommend the Relais and will no doubt be back to visit! It was fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family