“Great hotel”

Ranked #1,075 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Boston
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2009

The Hotel Balitc was an excellent budget option. The room was very clean and large. We booked a double - there was one twin bed and then two twin beds pushed together to make a double bed. I was traveling with a family member so when we arrived they separated the "double bed" and we had 3 twin beds. So I'm not sure if this is a standard double room or not but I thought the space was really large. We also had a nice balcony facing the main street. The bathroom was somewhat small, by american standards. The shower basically folded out into the bathroom area. It wasn't an issue for us but that might be somewhat cramped for a larger person. However there was also a shared bathroom in the hallway that I'm assuming could have been used if that was a problem.

Breakfast was included and was a nice selection of pasteries, rolls, jams, etc. each day. There was also juice, coffee, cappuccino, etc. It is served in reception, which had plenty of tables and we never had problems finding a space.

The location was great. Some other reviews had warned about staying near the Termini train station. I didn't find the neighborhood bad at all. If you live in a city or are comfortable in other major cities you have visited this should be fine. We walked around at night without any problems. Many sites were within walking distance (20 minute walk or so) and for those that are not it was nice to be near the train station. There were also plenty or restaurants nearby for dinner.

The staff was always very friendly and helpful. We were pretty much only at the hotel to sleep (and eat breakfast) so we didn't really require a lot from them. I thought they were very pleasant and attentive at breakfast though, which was mainly the only interaction we had. Our Italian was very limited but it was easy to communicate since they all spoke English.

Overall I would definitely recommend the Hotel Baltic. It meet our expectations and then some. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Great value.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MrsLovett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Enniskillen, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I chose this hotel as it was the cheapest central single room with ensuite that I could find. Having done so, reading some of the reviews on this site, I began to feel a little nervous...

I need not have worried. The room was extremely pleasant; smallish but by no means cramped, with a double bed, desk, wardrobe etc. all newly fitted and furnished. The shower room was a wetroom, well functioning and clean. The layout did mean that I could hear next door's loo flushing (and presumably vice versa) but nothing more intimate! The bed was comfortable, the TV worked well and the lighting was good. The room was well cleaned every day (and the earring I dropped somewhere retrieved and put in a little basket for me) and fresh towels etc. put out.

I am rather surprised that other visitors found the staff to be unfriendly. They were very polite and helpful to me, switching between Italian and English to suit my varying fluency. Perhaps other reviewers expected something more gushing - personally I don't like hotel staff who pop up as I go in and out to ask where I am going, what I've done, whether I'm enjoying myself, where I had dinner etc. The staff at the Hotel Baltic, like most Italians, are professional and not intrusive.

The breakfast was ideal - a typical Italian breakfast of juice, coffee, rolls, croissants and pastries, all fresh and quickly served. It is served in the reception area but this is large enough and well set out as a breakfast room.

The hotel is in a typical Italian building, shared with other flats and offices, with stone stairs, large windows and a small old-fashioned lift. I generally used the stairs but didn't have any problems with the lift the few times I used it. For this reason I wouldn't recommend the hotel to people with small children, disabilities or who are seriously overweight. For reasonably fit adults, however, those who are on a budget and enjoy the experience of staying in a real Italian environment, I would recommend the Hotel Baltic highly.

• Liked — Well maintained, efficient staff, good location, excellent value for money
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank thecrystalbard
Brazil
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We needed more of a modest hotel in a central place in Rome, we facilitate the city. We looked for a clean environment, with breakfast and insurance. We come to this address, at night and frightened by the environment: the hotel operates in three different buildings, with apartments spread over the three buildings. We were a group of six people and reinforce the information the need to stay together, without success. One of the buildings in which operated the hotel did not have security in the door, the walls were dick and the general appearance of the building not inspired cleaning. The breakfast was summed bread, coffee, milk and jelly, and a juice from something that was called "orange".Only an official of about ten that I, we were sympathetic. In short: bad experience in a wonderful city

• Liked — localization
  • Disliked — the hotel!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mocreu

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

London
Reviewed 12 September 2008

As others have said, this is a great hotel which is let down by its staff. The hotel itself is great. It is relatively cheap for Rome, and while it is not as luxurious as other hotels, it is definitely worth its price. Good points include clean room and bathroom, air conditioning, TV, security safe and reasonable amount of space, although the bathroom is quite small (normal for you average en-suit really). It is walking distance to the Termini station, but not near enough for train noise to be a problem.

Bad points: Number one is the grouchy staff. If this doesn't bother you, stay here, but if you like service with a smile you will be disappointed. To be honest I was disappointed by most staff in the whole city. The cheerfulness of Romans is grossly exaggerated, at least towards the end of the season. To enter the main hotel you have to be buzzed in twice, which wasn’t explained to us when we arrived, and some of the people on reception seemed really unwilling to let us in, as if it was a huge chore to press a button next to their desk. Reception and most of the rooms are up 2 flights of stairs, and the lift is very temperamental (we got stuck in it).

Some issues other people have raised: Lack of restaurants in the area – between the Hotel and the Termini are at least 12 restaurants. Some of them are ridiculously expensive though. Noise – a couple of times other residents could be heard through the walls but no constant noise. Room 25 – we stayed in here too! I thought it was pretty nice, but I get the feeling the room had been repainted quite recently. The door handle was redundant but you could still open the door with the key and no-one could open the door from the outside without a key, so it was safe enough. Small dining room – this is fairly usual in family-run places throughout Europe, so I was not that surprised. How much room do you need to eat a croissant?

• Liked — Made you feel like you got a lot for what you paid
  • Disliked — Grumpy, unhelpful staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank TrainSailing
West Palm Beach
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We stayed at Baltic three days and at first when we checked in they took us walking to a nearby building around the corner, when you entered you feel like (because of the appearance, under repairs) getting into a third world neighborhood, but when you go upstairs to the rooms they are extremely clean, like new.
They have air conditioning, which is very rare in europe. The shower was very tiny. So if you have some extra pound chances are that you won't fit in! They include breakfast, but the space to eat is very tiny too. Only for the price of 60 Euros a night was good enough!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Boothstown, Worsley
Reviewed 11 June 2008

The hotel is at the top end of 20 Septembre near the Porta Pia and is easy enough to find as there is a sign opposite the hotel. The staff are either polite or just plain ignorant depending who is on duty. One of the guys on reception (glasses, balding, 50ish) was totally uninterested when we complained about something going missing from our room. They pretend not to speak English or understand but I'm pretty sure they do know enough. I noticed one of the other reviewers had Room 25 which was also our room. It was basic with a small toilet/wet room. My main gripe was the noise - there is so much of it. The walls seem to be be paper thin. You can hear everything and I mean everything! The reception/dining room are one and the same.

On one occassion we left the 'do not disturb' tag on the door handle but this was ignored by the maid. Oh and the doors, what is going on with those door handles? Maybe it was just ours but it seemed redundant.

I've stayed in far nicer hotels and do not consider this to be particularly good value for money. Cheap does not have to mean tatty. A lick of paint would go a long way. Courteous staff would be a bonus too. I think the equivalent of a one star hotel would be a tent in a field.

• Liked — It location
  • Disliked — Noise, ignorant staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ednaplate
Texas
Reviewed 14 May 2008

This hotel provides the basic needs of a traveler in my opinion. It was clean, it had a descent bed, a television, a desk and a safe inside a closet for my room. Now of course, the room was noisy because the location of my room was right next to the entryway. The location of the hotel itself was a bit far for my taste. Though I was close to the bus stops, I preferred being closer to the Metro. It was about a 10 min. walk from the hotel to the closest Metro Station (Reppublica). I wasn't close to many restaurants, but I had access to 2 pizza places on the way to the Metro station.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo