“Good value”
Review of Hotel Baltic

Hotel Baltic
Ranked #1,117 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I was a little nervous about the Hotel Baltic after reading some of the other reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. Four nights accommodation for myself and my wife was only 276 Euros. The reception is located on the second floor of an anonymous looking appartment block - at first I thought I'd gone to wrong address. I found the staff friendly and welcoming. Some rooms (including ours) are located in another building several doors down the street. The bedroom was adequate and clean, the bed was comfortable - with sheets and blankets rather than a duvet. The television in the room only showed Italian programmes. There was no heater in the (rather small) shower room / toilet, but there was a hair dryer. There was a safe in the room. The windows in the room were double glazed and appear to have been fairly recently installed, but didn't quite close properly and made the room slightly noisier than I would have liked, but it was far from intolerable. Best of all was the Italian breakfast - a very good cappucino, bread rolls and sweet pastries. Breakfast is served in the reception area - it is small and at busy times guests may have to wait to be served. All-in-all, it's not a very smart hotel, but it's characterful, very central, clean and good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matthew303

Reviewed 5 March 2009

Did alot of research on hotels in Rome,wanted value for money,clean rooms and bathroom facilities and helpful staff and within reasonable distance of main attractions.
We were not disappointed,yes its an old Hotel with an old lift,but that adds to its charm.We had 2 rooms on the same floor,one was larger than the other,but both with very comfortable beds and a small but very clean bathroom.Yes,there is sometimes a bit of a smell,but this is not all the time and you just need to open the window and it it is gone.
The breakfast is continental,pastries, bread ,butter and jams and the area is small to eat it,but we never had any problem and they always accomodated the four of us on the same table.We never had to wait.
It is about 10-15 mins walk away from the Termini and from there you can get to all parts of the city by bus or Metro.In fact 2 of our party left it a bit late to get back from Cavour and found the Metro closed and walked back to the Hotel in just over 30 mins.The area around the Hotel felt extremely safe,yes there are a few street people in the Temini area,but this is not any different to any other big City.
If you want a Supermarket,you pass one on the way from the Termini to the Hotel.There are many little Restaurants around,good value and good choices of menu,just check them out.On our last night,one of our party had a few blisters on her feet,so we ate at ANDREAS,which is left out of the Hotel and then first left.We had the house RED wine for EURO6.50,with our meal and it was very good.We had paid alot more on earlier meals at different places,so it came as a pleasant surprise.
If you want a meal at one of the Piazzas in the central area,pick wisely is all I can say.Check the menus and the prices,be warned.
We had a fantastic time,seeing all the sites even though we had alot of rain.Bring your walking shoes and enjoy Rome.
If you do not want a Luxury Hotel with all the trimmings and just want a good value Hotel to put your head down after a busy day,you will not go far wrong at The Baltic.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank RECYCLEONE
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Our party, 2 couples. We had read some reports on The Baltic. We went may be expecting the worse. To start we thought maybe they were right. But with our expectations low, things picked up quickly. We were given clear instruction to our rooms. "back down the stairs, back onto street,turn right, round corner. second door. up stairs, buzzer at the door" we were let in. Clean sizable rooms, yes it was a little noisey at times, but so is our home!
We enjoyed our stay. Having travelled a lot around Europe, staff generaly seem to be a little unfriendly, but ours were very helpful. If your expectations are low you will be pleasently surprised wiyh your stay. This is not a 5 star hotel. But play the "make the staff smile" game and you will enjoy yours too. 25 min walk to Trev' Fountain. Recomend it? YES>> take sence of humor.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2009

The Hotel Balitc was an excellent budget option. The room was very clean and large. We booked a double - there was one twin bed and then two twin beds pushed together to make a double bed. I was traveling with a family member so when we arrived they separated the "double bed" and we had 3 twin beds. So I'm not sure if this is a standard double room or not but I thought the space was really large. We also had a nice balcony facing the main street. The bathroom was somewhat small, by american standards. The shower basically folded out into the bathroom area. It wasn't an issue for us but that might be somewhat cramped for a larger person. However there was also a shared bathroom in the hallway that I'm assuming could have been used if that was a problem.

Breakfast was included and was a nice selection of pasteries, rolls, jams, etc. each day. There was also juice, coffee, cappuccino, etc. It is served in reception, which had plenty of tables and we never had problems finding a space.

The location was great. Some other reviews had warned about staying near the Termini train station. I didn't find the neighborhood bad at all. If you live in a city or are comfortable in other major cities you have visited this should be fine. We walked around at night without any problems. Many sites were within walking distance (20 minute walk or so) and for those that are not it was nice to be near the train station. There were also plenty or restaurants nearby for dinner.

The staff was always very friendly and helpful. We were pretty much only at the hotel to sleep (and eat breakfast) so we didn't really require a lot from them. I thought they were very pleasant and attentive at breakfast though, which was mainly the only interaction we had. Our Italian was very limited but it was easy to communicate since they all spoke English.

Overall I would definitely recommend the Hotel Baltic. It meet our expectations and then some. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MrsLovett
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I chose this hotel as it was the cheapest central single room with ensuite that I could find. Having done so, reading some of the reviews on this site, I began to feel a little nervous...

I need not have worried. The room was extremely pleasant; smallish but by no means cramped, with a double bed, desk, wardrobe etc. all newly fitted and furnished. The shower room was a wetroom, well functioning and clean. The layout did mean that I could hear next door's loo flushing (and presumably vice versa) but nothing more intimate! The bed was comfortable, the TV worked well and the lighting was good. The room was well cleaned every day (and the earring I dropped somewhere retrieved and put in a little basket for me) and fresh towels etc. put out.

I am rather surprised that other visitors found the staff to be unfriendly. They were very polite and helpful to me, switching between Italian and English to suit my varying fluency. Perhaps other reviewers expected something more gushing - personally I don't like hotel staff who pop up as I go in and out to ask where I am going, what I've done, whether I'm enjoying myself, where I had dinner etc. The staff at the Hotel Baltic, like most Italians, are professional and not intrusive.

The breakfast was ideal - a typical Italian breakfast of juice, coffee, rolls, croissants and pastries, all fresh and quickly served. It is served in the reception area but this is large enough and well set out as a breakfast room.

The hotel is in a typical Italian building, shared with other flats and offices, with stone stairs, large windows and a small old-fashioned lift. I generally used the stairs but didn't have any problems with the lift the few times I used it. For this reason I wouldn't recommend the hotel to people with small children, disabilities or who are seriously overweight. For reasonably fit adults, however, those who are on a budget and enjoy the experience of staying in a real Italian environment, I would recommend the Hotel Baltic highly.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank thecrystalbard
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We needed more of a modest hotel in a central place in Rome, we facilitate the city. We looked for a clean environment, with breakfast and insurance. We come to this address, at night and frightened by the environment: the hotel operates in three different buildings, with apartments spread over the three buildings. We were a group of six people and reinforce the information the need to stay together, without success. One of the buildings in which operated the hotel did not have security in the door, the walls were dick and the general appearance of the building not inspired cleaning. The breakfast was summed bread, coffee, milk and jelly, and a juice from something that was called "orange".Only an official of about ten that I, we were sympathetic. In short: bad experience in a wonderful city

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Mocreu
Reviewed 12 September 2008

As others have said, this is a great hotel which is let down by its staff. The hotel itself is great. It is relatively cheap for Rome, and while it is not as luxurious as other hotels, it is definitely worth its price. Good points include clean room and bathroom, air conditioning, TV, security safe and reasonable amount of space, although the bathroom is quite small (normal for you average en-suit really). It is walking distance to the Termini station, but not near enough for train noise to be a problem.

Bad points: Number one is the grouchy staff. If this doesn't bother you, stay here, but if you like service with a smile you will be disappointed. To be honest I was disappointed by most staff in the whole city. The cheerfulness of Romans is grossly exaggerated, at least towards the end of the season. To enter the main hotel you have to be buzzed in twice, which wasn’t explained to us when we arrived, and some of the people on reception seemed really unwilling to let us in, as if it was a huge chore to press a button next to their desk. Reception and most of the rooms are up 2 flights of stairs, and the lift is very temperamental (we got stuck in it).

Some issues other people have raised: Lack of restaurants in the area – between the Hotel and the Termini are at least 12 restaurants. Some of them are ridiculously expensive though. Noise – a couple of times other residents could be heard through the walls but no constant noise. Room 25 – we stayed in here too! I thought it was pretty nice, but I get the feeling the room had been repainted quite recently. The door handle was redundant but you could still open the door with the key and no-one could open the door from the outside without a key, so it was safe enough. Small dining room – this is fairly usual in family-run places throughout Europe, so I was not that surprised. How much room do you need to eat a croissant?

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends