“Close to the main attractions”

Donna Laura Palace Hotel
Ranked #234 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. I found the staff to be friendly, the breakfast pretty good (lots of sponge cake, as well as the savory foods, which something I'm not used to) and the rooms and linen clean. The mural on the wall behind the bed was really pretty too.

The hotel is only a walk away from most of the main attractions, but there is a lot of traffic in Rome and not just at rush hour.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KarenMMC

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The room was very clean, the towels and linens were changed and the room cleaned every day. I was on the second floor on the street side. With the window open, it was a bit noisy, especially in the early morning hours when the many scooters are on their way to work. Not a real spacious room, but very adequate since I was only there to sleep. The small balcony was nice to sit on and enjoy the nice weather. The hotel is so conveniently located, you can walk to many places and cab fare is reasonable. Food was good and service was great, once I realized they are not in as big a hurry as I am accustomed to at home. One thing that surprised me was you have to pay for drinking water, even to drink with your meal. I would definitely stay there again when I return to Rome.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank GallivantingGranny
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I am staying here as part of a large group. The hotel staff have been quite friendly. The hotel is average - nothing really outstanding. The carpets in my room are worn to the backing in some places, but the rooms are otherwise in good shape. I like that the windows open. The beds are in good shape, although a bit too firm. The bathrooms are quite small, but clean and well maintained. The breakfast is adequate and good - hot eggs and sausages, good selection of pastries and fruit, meats and cheese, coffee, tea, cereal and juices. The rooms are on the small side, but not too bad. The furniture is in good shape, but poorly arranged - it makes the room tight. There is a minibar fridge in the room. My only real complaint is the hotel's air conditioning policy. They only run it between 1800 and 2200. That makes it difficult to have a comfortable sleep. I opened the windows some nights, but then I got mosquitos in the room and the street noise can be loud. I asked to have the air conditioning turned on, but said they could not do that. It is centrally managed and they can do it, but they won't. With the minibar fridge in the room, it keeps the room warm. The front desk doesn't seem to care. Also, they have a small exercise room. It is only open after 9 in the morning, long after most business travelers would be able to use it in the morning.

Room Tip: I can't think of any.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank DCtraveler1691
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked the hotel only at two days at the begining of May. Booked through the PAC group. PAC gave the written confirmation for the visa application center. And when we arrived at the hotel, they said “sorry, no rooms” and offered to replace on Degli Aranci. Degli Aranci on the outskirts, it is under repair, something is awful stink, when we were sitting at the breakfast, couple of times some people are came and when have seen this horror, turn around and leave.
Degli Aranci is much cheaper!!!
The next day we moved to Donna Laura. They offered compensation - an aperitif and a spa.
We spent the whole day walking around the Rome, because we have the flight back tomorrow, naturally we not get to the spa. When we asked about aperitif, at the reception we were denied the aperitif. Why was offering??? Only that we requested as compensation is a transfer to airport. The hotel does not provide one. Awful hotel, where deceive customers!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Anna Б
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We booked this hotel on Booking.com a bit by chance just a few days before going to Roma. The price was very reasonable for 5 nights, especially during the Easter season.
We got a very nice triple bedroom which was just perfect as it had a fantastic terrace on the roof of the hotel , with a great view on the San Pietro Basilic and on the city.
The hotel is ideally located in a quiet and poch part of Roma. The street downstairs can be a bit noisy , but this is not a problem as the hotel is very well soundprofeed.
The metro is only a 15 minutes walk , the piazza del Popolo only at 20 minutes and the Vatican at 25 minutes, so everything is very close, and you will enjoy the quietness of the hotel in the evening after a long day in the very lively Roma.
There's a small supermarket just behind the hotel , and if you want to eat outside in the evening but don't want to go too far away there's a restaurant (RossaPomodoro) 5 minutes away.
There's a very practical (free) car park at the hotel.
The breakfast is very good , but can be a bit busy around 8 o'clock.
The only "downsides" of this hotel :
- it would be nice to have a ketle in the room (but there's a coffee machine)
- the service is a bit long if you eat at the restaurant - but the food is good
- the mattress of the sofabed is a bit thin for an adult
But nothing really serious in the end.
That was our first time in Roma , and we have not been disappointed by the Donna Laura Palace hotel. The staff has been always really helpful and made our stay very pleasant.
This is maybe not a 4 stars hotel , as you can find in other part of Europe , but if I had to go back to Roma , I'll definitively come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank roybe01
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Donna Laura Palace for a weekend break to watch the England rugby international. We were offered, and accepted a room upgrade and were so glad we did. Our room featured a large roof terrace with distant views of the Vatican. The welcome on arrival was warm and friendly, the room clean and very comfortable, and the food on both evenings was cooked to perfection. This was our first visit to Rome, and the hotel offered a wonderful location away from the bustling center but within easy walking distance of the main attractions. We were most impressed with the DLP and hope to return soon :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Acdc43
gruppoloan, Guest Relations Manager at Donna Laura Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Mr A_Cowdrey,
Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay with us at "The Donna Laura Palace" here in Rome. I was really pleased to read that you all enjoyed your stay with us and really liked the facilities and service we provided you .
We always strive to ensure we provide the very best of service so to read your kind comments is very much appreciated by myself and the brilliant team.
Please do come and stay with us again which I hope is very soon.
My Kindest Regards,
Stefania Catozzi

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my wife for 4 days and took advantage of a superior room upgrade.
The rooms would all appear to be on the smallish side although nicely presented and clean.
The chair in the room is very uncomfortable,although we had a small balcony no chairs were provided to sit on.
The amenities provided e.g shampoo and body wash were poor..no conditioner was supplied and no water or kettle provided.
The downside of the rooms were:
I am still awaiting the extra pillows I requested twice
The air con was not switched on in the hotel and wont be until 1st may, rooms were very warm and the only way to ventilate the room was to open the window by doing that you then had to endure the noise of traffic from one of the busiest main roads in Rome and this does disturb your sleep

Its obvious the Hotel Management do not consider the comfort of their guests but only profit.

The breakfast I had no complaints about although it would appear if they had more than 2 staff on a better service and hotel experience could have been provided.

Restaurant..the choice of food is minimum and is overpriced for what you get and again a greater hotel experience could have been achieved if they had more than one staff working in the Restaurant/Bar..here the 1 staff member ACTED AS BAR PERSON,WAITRESS,MAITRE DE,TOOK FOOD ORDERS TO THE KITCHEN ONE FLOOR DOWN,BROUGHT FOOD UP FROM KITCHEN TO THE TABLE,SERVED COFFEES,SET TABLES UP and then apologise to clients for the food being cold.

The experience I was hoping to achieve by having a romantic evening dinner within the hotel did not happen as again the hotel management put profit before Guests experience.

The hotel are very lucky to have an employee such as Maria..she does the work of 3 people and always smiles.

The location of the hotel is fantastic and its very easy to walk about from their..even easier if you cross the road and turn right and follow the footpath down the river bank.

The hotel may look 4 stars but in reality the service they provide falls below that of a 4 star,which is a great shame as they have some great staff who were always helpful and friendly but let down by the penny pinching of the owners/management

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank a_scotatheart
gruppoloan, Guest Relations Manager at Donna Laura Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Mr a_scotath,
I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience of our Hotel. I am of course very disappointed that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
I have already forwarded your comments to the front office manager and housekeeping, regarding your concerns about TV, bathroom, daily Amenities and I’m surprised that you had to ask twice the pillows without receiving them.
I know all our team share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible, and am confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.
Our aim is that every guest who visits us enjoys their stay as fully and as richly as possible. I regret your stay with us was perhaps not what it should have been. I trust that should you ever return to Rome, you will consider giving me an opportunity to counter your criticisms by visiting us again. I assure you that my team and I will do our utmost to extend a welcome and a stay that you will remember for the right reasons.
I remain at your disposal
Stefania Catozzi