“Had some really good and not-so-good qualities; but glad I was there.”
Review of Hotel Orlanda

Hotel Orlanda
Ranked #295 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
dallas
“Had some really good and not-so-good qualities; but glad I was there.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I loved the convenience of this hotel. From the airport, I took a train to Termini Station. From there, I walked two blocks to get to the hotel. Fortunately, I looked on Google Maps for the location, and then used the unique feature of seeing what it would like if I was actually there. I'd recommend this. Get on Google Maps to see what the building would look like from ground level. I quickly noticed that the hotel sign was very small. I also learned that not all intersections will have the street names. In Italy, ground level is considered 0 floor, and what we would call second floor is considered first floor to them. So Hotel Orlanda was on the "3rd" floor, which is fourth floor to us. Confused yet?

The elevator is very small; it could only only 2 people. The floor is vinyl tile, which causes sound to travel. So bring ear plugs. Staff was very helpful, especially with directions, recommendations, and bus/train advice. You have to let them know what time you'll be in the breakfast room since there is limited seating. Breakfast had two flavors of cereal, two flavors of yogurt, juice, and various pastries. Couldn't complain since it was free. My room faced the inner courtyard since streetside rooms tend to be noisy due to traffic and people. Behind the office, they had a computer room with two laptops for anyone to get on the internet for free. Wi-fi is also free, but I didn't bring my computer. My room had a tv, shower, and a weird hairdryer. Staff requires that you leave your key with them when you go out for the day. A good idea so that you don't lose them. There are other restaurants in the area, but to me they were just ok. Another benefit about the hotel was its close proximity to the National Museum of Rome, which was a couple of blocks away.

Getting to the city of Florence was easy since the train station is close by. The speed train took half the time to get to Italy compared to one of the other slower trains; pricey but worth it. It went 150 mph and had restrooms. I bought all my tickets at the station for the day I went to Florence, a different day I went to the Vatican, and finally a ticket for the trip back to the airport. The station has several kiosks, but heed caution if someone tries to help you and then tries to pocket your change.

Hotel staff can sell you Roma Passes, which gets you easy entry into the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, the Forum, and a couple of museums. I just bought my ticket for the first three while at Palatine Hill and didn't go to the museums. The Colosseum was a 20 minute walk for me (non-stop; 1 mile southwest).

The cost of the hotel was about 75 euros, which was about $100 American. For the area, it's a good deal. For the same cost, you could get a nicer hotel in the U.S., but of course this is Rome the Incredible.

Room Tip: Request a room that faces the inner courtyard and not the street.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DallasRay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I must say that although this is a small hotel to stay in, the secured comfort and helpful friendly service given out by the reception staffs were more than enough to give u a pleasant stay. Bedsheet and towel were also very clean! Internet, wifi access and machine making warm coffee and tea is always ready for u 24/7! Great!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eddy H
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Eddy H
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel is very convenient, seeing a the location is perfect, the staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms are a suitable size and hygienic and the breakfast was good. Definitely recommend it! Also it feels very comfortable and the price is inexpensive. It must be the best in Rome and I would not hesitate to come back again! Also reception on third floor, good security but there are a couple of hotels in the same building!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I know it has been already mentioned, but I have to say that staff was very helpful. They gave a lot of travelling tips and let us leave our luggage for the day that we checked out. Rooms are surprisingly good for this price. There is a safe case in the room for worried people:) Breakfast was quite good.

There is only one drawback of this hotel. Restaurants and cafes around are just terrible. We tried some of them and they were just disappointing tourist ripping places. If the breakfast of the hotel was not good, probably we had to stay hungry.

Despite this negative effect, hotel was satisfying. If I go Rome again, most probably I will choose this hotel. Did I say staff was very helpful? :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Salih Serdar G
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Convenient for the termini station and exploring central Rome. On our first day the host gave us a map and gave us directions from the hotel with best way to get to different sights. Always friendly service, room was lovely, very clean and breakfast was good. Would definitely recommend and stay here again. Only reason I have marked sleep quality down is the rooms back onto a noisy street - but then it's not so bad when most of the noise is coming from street musicians!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fishywoo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Just a couple of minutes walk from Termini station. Easy to find, though reception is on 3rd floor and our room was on 5th. Not a big issue though. The hotel and room was clean and spacious. Perfect for an overnight stay. Very helpful and friendly staff. Aircon, which is extra, is not great, but it was probably struggling on Romes August heat. We are a family of four and found the hotel ideal for us for exploring Romes sights.

• Stayed August 2013