“Well Positioned, Great Value for Money.”
Review of Hotel Orlanda

Hotel Orlanda
Ranked #268 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My family and I stayed here for a few nights. The accommodation was clean and quite roomy for Europe. The breakfast wasn't all that good but the location was great. Close to the Termini. A lot of restaurants close by. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Taryn B

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was my 3rd and most affordable rome hotel of the trip and was the one I felt most comfortable in. In terms of value for money this is about as good as it gets in terms of customer service, room size and convenience.

The room is very large and although somewhat dated is comfortable, was cleaned well and had a safe and free wifi. The staff are exceptional and really go the extra mile in helping you with anything whether it is directions, suggestions and in my case even delivering breakfast the night before due to an early flight. It's the sort of service you don't often get from budget hotels. My only comments about the hotel itself is that it appears to share the same building with a number of other hotels and the lift is very small. The bathrooms were good although the placement of the toilet seems to be an afterthought as it's wedged between the door and wash basin.

The location is a 3 minute walk from termini train station which is convenient for those with connecting trains or early morning flights. It is within walking distance (ie within 30 mins walk to most of the attractions including the colosseum, trevi fountain, pantheon etc) and it's easy to get a train from termini station to the vatican. I had stayed in another more expensive hotel closer to the pantheon part of the city and found that a better location to explore the city as a tourist. This hotel isn't in the classiest of areas (those near train stations generally never are) and although I never felt unsafe there seemed to be a lot of people standing around the streets doing very little.

In terms of value for money though this hotel is 5 stars and considering the cost of staying here I would have no hesitation staying again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Adam K
Reviewed 27 December 2013

If you are looking for convenience, friendly informative staff, economy and comfort you cannot beat Hotel Orlanda. My wife and I spent our last 3 nights in Italy at Hotel Orlanda and plan to return. In fact, my only complaint about our visit is the street photographers. Do not let them con you into purchasing pictures or even let them use your camera to take a picture of you. We learned this the hard way, but now we know a pleasant but firm "Grazie No!" is the way to go.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikeNTricia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We are retired and look for clean, comfort, helpful staff and great location. This hotel hits it all. It is a couple of blocks from the train station. From there you can take a bus or subway after you wear yourself out walking. Be careful. Street crime in Rome is as bad as you have ever heard. REALLY Scams and pickpockets are everywhere. The staff was great, very helpful. The reason we like close to the train station is a train ride from Rome north takes you through Tuscany. Encourages you to drink the house wines. All I can add about this hotel is that I would give it a 5 rating even if it were a 3 star instead of a 2 star hotel. Keep in mind that a 2 or 3 star hotel is not a Ritz, but then again you are not paying Ritz prices. This hotel is as clean, convenient, helpful and as comfortable as you can ask.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed only one night at Orlanda hotel.. and it was my last day in Rome in summer. The best thing about this hotel is its location near Termini station. It's small hotel and don't expect luxury . The price is reasonable , the staff worked well and fast, nice service. Too bad i was coming in summer in August... so it was very hot in Rome. So i must open the window to let air and wind coming to my room. But overall the room is clean, comfy, nice decorated, well organized, and the bathroom is clean. I have nothing to complain about the room although it's small hotel. If i ever come to Rome, i would like to chose this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rika a
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I loved the convenience of this hotel. From the airport, I took a train to Termini Station. From there, I walked two blocks to get to the hotel. Fortunately, I looked on Google Maps for the location, and then used the unique feature of seeing what it would like if I was actually there. I'd recommend this. Get on Google Maps to see what the building would look like from ground level. I quickly noticed that the hotel sign was very small. I also learned that not all intersections will have the street names. In Italy, ground level is considered 0 floor, and what we would call second floor is considered first floor to them. So Hotel Orlanda was on the "3rd" floor, which is fourth floor to us. Confused yet?

The elevator is very small; it could only only 2 people. The floor is vinyl tile, which causes sound to travel. So bring ear plugs. Staff was very helpful, especially with directions, recommendations, and bus/train advice. You have to let them know what time you'll be in the breakfast room since there is limited seating. Breakfast had two flavors of cereal, two flavors of yogurt, juice, and various pastries. Couldn't complain since it was free. My room faced the inner courtyard since streetside rooms tend to be noisy due to traffic and people. Behind the office, they had a computer room with two laptops for anyone to get on the internet for free. Wi-fi is also free, but I didn't bring my computer. My room had a tv, shower, and a weird hairdryer. Staff requires that you leave your key with them when you go out for the day. A good idea so that you don't lose them. There are other restaurants in the area, but to me they were just ok. Another benefit about the hotel was its close proximity to the National Museum of Rome, which was a couple of blocks away.

Getting to the city of Florence was easy since the train station is close by. The speed train took half the time to get to Italy compared to one of the other slower trains; pricey but worth it. It went 150 mph and had restrooms. I bought all my tickets at the station for the day I went to Florence, a different day I went to the Vatican, and finally a ticket for the trip back to the airport. The station has several kiosks, but heed caution if someone tries to help you and then tries to pocket your change.

Hotel staff can sell you Roma Passes, which gets you easy entry into the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, the Forum, and a couple of museums. I just bought my ticket for the first three while at Palatine Hill and didn't go to the museums. The Colosseum was a 20 minute walk for me (non-stop; 1 mile southwest).

The cost of the hotel was about 75 euros, which was about $100 American. For the area, it's a good deal. For the same cost, you could get a nicer hotel in the U.S., but of course this is Rome the Incredible.

Room Tip: Request a room that faces the inner courtyard and not the street.