“Very nice hotel but 5 star??”

Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection
Ranked #85 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Jacksonville, Florida
“Very nice hotel but 5 star??”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for the last two nights of our Rome vacation. We were previously at the Courtyard in Rome Central Park (Look for my review). This hotel was stated as being a 5 star hotel. The rooms were amazing, the location is very centrally located as you can get to most of Rome via the metro/Termini. The staff were very polite and friendly. We had dinner twice downstairs, once inside and once outside and here is where the hotel needs some improvement. Service was very slow and it was not busy during the times we were there. We also tried the buffet breakfast had a wide selection of foods but again the service was slow... I had to ask several times for more milk and orange juice. Thankfully I did not have to pay for the buffet breakfast as I am a gold status. I would recommend the hotel but you might feel you have overpaid for the food.
Also, the beds do not follow the Marriott bedding collection and were very hard.

Room Tip: Most rooms do not have a view of the Piazza so you must ask for that.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Darien, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Central location - close to many modes of transportation. Big, clean and very comfortable rooms. Attentive, engaged staff. Nice breakfast room with many choices (buffet or menu) but inconsistent service delivery. An adjacent lounge offered coffee, espresso and water but it was messy, unorganized and not replenished during day. Be prepared to pay top dollar for any F&B in bars and restaurants. No Marriott quality bed, but comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spent 7 nights at this hotel in June 2014. More of an upscale business hotel in my mind but convenient for sightseeing and the metro is right outside the door. Nice rooms, very clean, well appointed (terrible pillows for some reason). Staff was great. One day I ran out of batteries for my camera and asked the concierge where I could go to buy some - instead they brought them to my room (no charge). Things like this made the stay very easy. Service in the lobby lounge is super slow, in fact one day it took us almost an hour to track someone down to pay for our coffee. Really though, this is the only downside other than bad pillows. I would return to this hotel if I find myself in Rome again. Definitely worth asking for a room facing the square. My room faced the interior and my friend was on the outside facing the square - nice view from her room. All rooms seem to very quiet which I appreciated. The rooftop pool is a ice spot for a drink or a light meal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the fountain
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bpatton22
OIrlando, FL
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is nothing short of fabulous. It is beautiful; the rooms are glamorous, the rooftop pool and bar are spectacular and it certainly is deserving of the 'luxury' status. I was prepared to be disappointed and feel like we overpaid for this hotel; but that we not the case at all. It was fabulous and luxurious.

However, as soon as you set foot out of the hotel you will be surrounded by big city filth, homeless people and panhandlers. The hotel even has staff to keep them away from you while you enjoy the patio seating at the ground level bar/restaurant. So, if you are looking for a fabulous hotel; definitely stay here. If you are looking for quaint Rome location I would say this is not it. We stayed here for 2 nights after a trip to Tuscany. For the 2 nights before our trip to Tuscany we stayed in another Marriott hotel outside the city in a suburban area. Though it wasn't as convenient to the attractions (it required a train and metro ride) it was a cleaner area.

If I were to return to Rome I would look for something in the area of the Cavour metro station. That area was cleaner and more quaint with alley restaurants and shops. Or, I would return to the Marriott Courtyard in Central Park Rome. While in a suburban area we enjoyed the train rides and location as a good combination.

However, if you are looking to impress yourself with grandeur and luxury; stay here.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view if that is important to you. It's not really to us because we don't...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hedgebet
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our reservation which was made by someone other than a member of our travelling group was a failure and we needed to find a hotel since we had two days of plans in Rome. Luckily I had A LOT of Marriott reward points and we used them all on two King Rooms for Two Nights. The Check In was great - Informative, Pleasant and Painless. They had a concierge who was great with information about transportation and the area. The room was very nicely appointed and had numerous amenities. Breakfast was amazing - just about anything you could imagine with very attentive staff. My only disappointment is that they would not allow me a late check out of only one additional hour for one of our two rooms. After spending 160,000 Marriott Points and 115 Euros I thought they would be a little flexible. I would stay here again though!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bbbob84
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel and staff at the Boscolo Excedra Roma! My family and I had four suites for a two-night stay and we couldn't have asked for a better location or treatment at the hotel. With our group of 8 we needed some special attention for tour and the team (especially Stefania) were terrific to us. The location is ideal for walking to all sites, food and drink is wonderful and the rooms appointed well. Thank you for an experience that we will all fondly remember as a family.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank TACOLORADO
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Hello guys. Nice hotel but too expensive and only worth if u gonna stay inside the hotel. When in Rome u are gonna be out the whole day. Nothing exceptional about the breakfast. Concierge services are very good for dinner places. View from most rooms is not of the square.

• Stayed June 2014