“Customer Service Fail - Its All About The Money”

Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection
Ranked #82 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Rumson, New Jersey
“Customer Service Fail - Its All About The Money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have been a guest at the Boscolo Exedra Roma hotel in the past. I warn travelers that my current experience with the hotel indicates a significant change in direction on how they treat customers.

Being a member of their Boscolo Rewards program or my past patronage meant nothing to this hotel management team. The hotel did care that I spent thousands of dollars with the hotel in the past. Here is my story:

I recently booked two nights at the Exedra Roma using a travel partner advertised on TripAdvisor. The dates of my original booking were August 1st – August 3rd and I paid approximately $350 per night for the room. The room was marked at a non-cancelable rate.

The family I was traveling with to Italy had to cancel their trip because the wife broke her arm. I contacted Hotels.com and the Exedra 10 days prior to my visit to ask if I could move the dates. The Exedra flatly refused. The Hotels.com Silver Support Desk was unable to convince the hotel to allow me to move the dates.

I asked again to say that they could give me two days in the Fall or Winter when occupancy was lower, and they refused. The Exedra management team had no interested in being flexible with my situation. They had no concern that I would lose my $700 investment.

I am in Rome this week and asked if I could stay two nights this week. They said no.

It amazes me that the hotel management would think that this policy is a proper way to treat repeat customers. I have stayed over 15 nights at the Exedra in years past and the management team was always very accommodating. I am also a frequent traveler and a frequent visitor to Italy with an active record of online travel reviews on TripAdvisor.

Hotels.com – A Strained Relationship?

My experience seems to point to an uncomfortable relationship between hotels and online booking websites. Hotels.com was unable to help me and the Exedra treated me life a second-class citizen. Both companies have a broken business model because both have me in their loyalty programs and both were not able to create an acceptable solution.

I would strongly recommend that travelers take this story to heart and be careful about booking a room at this hotel. The fact that I could not get credit for any future two-night at the hotel, during any time of the upcoming year, is a clear demonstration of the Boscolo Exedra Roma's customer service attitude. A Five Star property this is not.

Room Tip: Book a room that has a rate that can be cancelled without penalty.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Brian P
Oliver H, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your feedback.
We do apologize for the inconvenient occurred to you and we can even confirm the refund situation is going to be finalized according to information previously given.
We do hope to welcome you again sure that this isolate matter won’t jeopardize the trust you’d always had in Boscolo Hotels.
Best regards
Guest Relation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Napoli
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, they have to do a much better job of pr
It is a magnificent property and has all the makings of a great hotel. They need a little more tlc, but compared to the five star hotel down the street ( hotel so Russie) this was a much better hotel. If you are looking for a great hotel at a great value, this is it.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Travelerfrombh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

It was our first trip to Rome and what a magical experience! The city is beautiful and of course steeped in history. However our trip was made that much more enjoyable by the service provided at the excellent Boscolo Exedra.

Friendly and helpful staff that wanted to make sure your stay was comfortable and what a delight that the wonderful General Manager, Mr Oliver Hutten had left wonderful treats in our room for our return from the Colosseum.

Our room had a side view but that was ok as it was huge with high ceilings, a large foyer and even bigger bathroom. The king size bed was very comfortable and much needed after all the sightseeing.

We stayed half board and had a three course meal at the Tazio Restaurant on two nights. The food was delicious and beautifully presented and the little sweet delights after dessert was a bonus as was the service, which was first class.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank PeckLikesThis
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Beautiful hotel, very helpful and friendly staff. Location is perfect - 10 minute walk to train station and only seconds from Main Street and great restaurants. No more than 15 minute car ride to the Vatican and other amazing sites. Concierge was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here on points for 2 nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful. 2 adjoining rooms for a family of four (2 small kids). The rooms were spacious and elegant. Could have fit all four of us into one room. The only downside to the rooms was traffic noise, but to be fair, the hotel is in the middle of a city. The breakfast was fantastic. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the Termini Metro station, the central hub for rail and metro in Rome. The Blue line will take you to the Colosseum at the Colosseo stop and the Circus Maximus at the Circo Massimo stop. It's about a 20 minute to the Colosseum from the Hotel. The entrance to the Repubblica Metro stop, on the red line, is right in front of the hotel entrance. This line was very convenient for visiting the Vatican. If you get off at the Ottaviano "San Pietro" stop St. Peters is only a 10 minute walk. The Spanish Steps are at the "Spagna" stop. A 10-15 min walk will get you to the Trevi Fountain from the Barberini stop.

Room Tip: Traffic can be loud, choose higher room if possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ptownsendj
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Me, my wife and our two kids stayed at the Boscolo Exedra Roma for 4 nights in July. We had a junior suite on the second floor of the hotel. The room was set up as a two story loft. The kids had twin beds set up downstairs and my wife and I had a king bed upstairs. The room was large and the layout was good. The bathroom had two sinks, a soaker tub and a separate shower. Water pressure was excellent.

Despite some prior reviews, I thought this hotel lived up to its 5 star rating. The service was courteous and prompt, the common areas of the hotel were lovely and the room was great and had twice daily turndown service.

We did not use the pool on the roof although I did check it out. It was lovely albeit a lot smaller than it appears in the photos. This is by no means a lap pool.

The hotel is located in the Piazza de la Republica which is a little far removed from the main sights. Accordingly, we took many taxis (although the subway is another option with a station adjacent to the hotel).

Food at the hotel is very expensive so we did not eat there and I can't comment on the quality.

Overall, the hotel is majestic. It is close to the train station and subway, the service is great and the suite lovely. Only downside is that it is a little removed from key sites and the price if food is very high with few options in the immediate vicinity.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank WhereItsWarm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location. It isn't too far from the Spanish steps. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are very nice. The breakfast is delicious. The staff is also very nice and helpful. I would definitely come back if staying in Rome.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family