“Our Last Visit with The Mozart”
Review of Hotel Mozart

Hotel Mozart
Ranked #149 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Sadly, after staying at The Mozart at least six or more times over the years, we have decided that we will no longer stay there. We actually like the hotel and location very much, but have decided that the snooty front desk people are just inexcusable. This has been a complaint from many people who have reviewed this hotel in the past, but we always chose to excuse their behavior because we loved the hotel itself.

We just returned from a week long trip to Tuscany and stayed at The Mozart for two nights before our flight home. During this and our last several stays, we have stayed in the Vivaldi Suites, which we like very much. They are always spotless and the bathrooms are very nice and modern. The first thing we always do is turn on the air conditioner and this time, we found the motor sounded like a jet taking off. We decided that this was not acceptable and called the desk to see if there was another room. They replied that they were totally booked, but would send someone to check it out. We didn't leave the room for several hours and as far as we know, no one ever came to look at it. Once the room cooled down, we kept it on low and it was better, but still rather loud.

I must admit that we have never found the front desk help overly friendly, but as long as they did their job and we liked the hotel, we tolerated their aloofness. When we arrived, our room was not ready and they said it would only take twenty minutes, so we waited right there in the lobby where they could see us. After half an hour, my husband asked if our room was ready and the guy looked at him like he didn't know what he was talking about and asked what our name was.

I think what has always irritated me the most over the years, was how they NEVER once acknowedged that we had stayed there before. Most hotels say, "Welcome Back Mr. and Mrs. so and so," but they have never said a word. I actually think that is very rude, especially after half a dozen stays or more and the terrific reviews I have given them on Trip Advisor.

Lastly, when we were checking out, my husband asked if they could give him change for the driver and the guy said in a very rude manner, "I don't have change." I think that nailed the coffin shut as far as we were concerned. Let me add, that almost every single one of these people has worked there for as long as we have stayed there, so these aren't untrained people. I think we have probably stayed with them more than any other guest, so a little warmth would have been nice.

So, when we return to Rome, we will no longer consider The Mozart. Very sad, but I think guests deserve good help at the front desk. If they don't like their jobs, I'm sure there are others in Rome who would jump at the chance at working there!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank muddsmom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed 5 October 2009

will return! Comfy bed, english speaking staff, wonderful breakfast, terrace with bolganvia, steps from the "Steps"
Loved the tile floors in the entire room. The windows open out after you open the shutters, we could hear the city sounds, music playing next year. We went in 2001, our 10 year and my 40th.....this application does not let you pick older than 2006. Found this on the net all on my own...

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Lovely hotel. We stayed in for 5 days in Vivaldi Apartments. Big room with big LCD , friendly stuff and super location ! 5 min to Piaza de Popolo , same distance to Piaza de Spagna and 10 min to Piaza de Venezia.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Highly Reccomended

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank gothicgirl021
Reviewed 26 September 2009

My mother and I have visited this hotel several times over recent years. In the past, we always enjoyed our stays, appreciating some of the small details that make a difference, and have recommended the hotel to many people. So this summer when we decided to return to Rome to celebrate my mother’s 90th birthday, it seemed a natural choice to return there for our four days and we were going to be joined by my two adult sons for part of our stay. My mother and I, as in previous years, wanted our own rooms… so the total bill was not going be inconsiderable.

I gave the hotel advance warning of my mother’s birthday, hoping that maybe they might put out some flowers, even a single rose in her room, or maybe upgrade her room and, I discovered subsequently, a friend who lives in Rome phoned the hotel asking if they would do something to welcome my mother in a special way for her birthday... even a single flower. And what was there, in the event, ... nothing. No flowers, (not even one), no fruit, the same basic single room, even the welcome drinks that we enjoyed in the past were not given on arrival (although when I complained later that day we were given a card with 2 drinks, but not 4 for the whole family). In the room, there were disappointments too ... no longer the notepad by the television for jottings, all three rooms had problems with the TVs at one stage or another, my mother's didn't work at all to begin with, mine was jammed on the second day and the boys couldn't get all the channels initially. The boys’ air conditioning didn't work properly. I didn't have soap in my room the first night and had to leave a note for the housekeeper. We had to ask, on more than one occasion, for more milk in the bedrooms as we were left with only one small pot in the mornings after the housekeeper tidied our rooms. In the breakfast rooms, on only one of the three days did we have fresh rolls for breakfast... on others there was sliced bread, rather dry and curling up in places. All these are signs of a failing management or general meanness. On top of all these irritations, on two mornings there was no hot water in the mornings and for this at least some adjustment was made to our bills... which, none the less, totalled over E1,000.

I left feeling bitterly disappointed. What I had hoped would be a happy return to a hotel, in which we had been frequent visitors in the past, to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday, a huge achievement in itself, was spoiled by the changes in the hotel. We will not return, which is sad as I really felt we had found a very good small hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BobsUKUK
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Hotel Mozart is convenient to bus at Plaza Popolo (sp?). Buy Roma pass for museum discounts. Arrange guide for Vatican or you will wait hours in line. At Colosseum you can get a guide on-site for 10euro and avoid lines.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2009

we stayed at the Mozart at end of a wonderful, long, 2 week vacation in Italy. Great way to end it. our room was huge and so was the bathroom, our 4 year old daughter loved it because there was plenty of room for her to dance around while we were getting ready to venture out. Great A/C for the HOT summer months. The rooftop bar was our meeting place every evening before we went out to dinner and after for an after dinner drink (or two). Breakfast was ample, they didn't mind when you asked for a cappucino or two.

Excellent location, we walked everywhere and plenty of shops for all budgets.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family