“Perfect location, charming hotel”
Review of Hotel Mozart

Hotel Mozart
Ranked #154 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Jerusalem, Israel
“Perfect location, charming hotel”
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Hotel Mozart is on a very small pedestrian street, Via de' Greci, which connects the Via del Corso and Via del Babuino.It is a charming cobblestone street, but VERY DIFFICULT to take a suitcase on; therefore, since the taxi couldn't get into the street, and could only stop on the Via del Babuino side which is the farthest side from the entrance, it wasn't easy to drag along a suitcase on wheels. Take that into account if you are carrying a large and/or heavy bag.
Once inside, the hotel is very pleasant, but the room I asked for- a double for single use, overlooking an internal courtyard (number 322)- meant that one had to go up and down some small staircases, and without help from a bellboy, it would have been a bit difficult. Also, the courtyard was actually the back of a neighboring house. I was lucky to see a terrace covered with plants and flowers, but it could also have had laundry hanging out.
The room was a decent size, had good hanging space, but one thing lacking was the absence of proper drawer space.Nor was there a full length mirror in the room, only 2 three quarter length mirrors. One other thing that was strange were the rather old fashioned telephones, which didn't allow for a flashing message sign or voice mail. Since cellphones do not work at all in the hotel, one must use the land line.Lastly, the lighting was not very good, so much so that one evening I selected a pair of tights thinking they were black, and only when I got outside did I discover they were purple!
But now for the good parts: the room was generally comfortable,particularly the bed, which had an excellent mattress, though the pillows were a bit too soft for my liking. The bathroom, which had a laundry line in the shower, always a great convenience, was a nice size and had good amenities/
The hotel has a marvelous roof garden, open only in the summer, but I was able to see it, and enjoy the amazing view over the city.In the winter, there is a lovely lounge and bar available in the afternoon and evenings with comfortable couches, a tv, newspapers, internet point, and generally a very cozy atmosphere. There is also a little cafe/restaurant
attached to the hotel, called La Luna d'Oro, which many people from the neighborhood frequent. It is open till 9 pm, and they give a small discount to hotel guests.
The breakfast room is decorated in pale green and the staff even wear shirts to match, to complete the feeling of cool charm. The choice for breakfast is fairly good, but, as a vegetarian, it would have been nice to have smoked sliced salmon and not just sliced meat available.By Italian standards it was a very nice breakfast, with fresh fruits and vegetables available besides the usual bread, cereal and pastry fare. What was very nice was the fact that at the buffet table each person could fill a whole tea/coffeee pot and take it to the table, thus having enough without having to bother to get up or ask the staff.
The hotel also provides another room in the basement with 3 internet points, all for use without payment.
The one thing that is confusing is the separation of 2 different elevators for different floors.
The staff was courteous, but I cannot say that they went out of their way to be extremely helpful, and that despite the fact that I speak fluent Italian and have no problem of communication.
Nonetheless, I would certainly recommend the hotel highly and go back myself. It is a perfect location and very convenient for both walking and public transportation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Ahuva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn., NY
Reviewed 12 November 2009

What a shame. This is a beautiful little hotel in a good location. We stayed here for three nights in October. PROBLEM: The day receptionist was extemely rude to say the least. We awoke every morning at 7:30 to the sound of major construction. The front desk young man told us that there was no construction going on in the hotel. The construction took place directly BELOW our room. The hotel manager said they would change our room but the young man was annoyed because I complained to his supervisor and purposely neglected to change our room. We were there for the 3 nights. He also never mailed the post cards we gave him. Prior to this problem, he was reluctant and annoyed to give directions and would only respond by handing you a map. Financial consideration was made for the room by the hotel manager when he saw that our room was not changed. We were pleased at that. The night staff was pleasant and helpful unlike the day staff.
We stayed in 5 hotels throughout Italy. All were warm and wonderful. A hotel is only as nice as the people who represent it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank roeroeg
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Sadly, after staying at The Mozart at least six or more times over the years, we have decided that we will no longer stay there. We actually like the hotel and location very much, but have decided that the snooty front desk people are just inexcusable. This has been a complaint from many people who have reviewed this hotel in the past, but we always chose to excuse their behavior because we loved the hotel itself.

We just returned from a week long trip to Tuscany and stayed at The Mozart for two nights before our flight home. During this and our last several stays, we have stayed in the Vivaldi Suites, which we like very much. They are always spotless and the bathrooms are very nice and modern. The first thing we always do is turn on the air conditioner and this time, we found the motor sounded like a jet taking off. We decided that this was not acceptable and called the desk to see if there was another room. They replied that they were totally booked, but would send someone to check it out. We didn't leave the room for several hours and as far as we know, no one ever came to look at it. Once the room cooled down, we kept it on low and it was better, but still rather loud.

I must admit that we have never found the front desk help overly friendly, but as long as they did their job and we liked the hotel, we tolerated their aloofness. When we arrived, our room was not ready and they said it would only take twenty minutes, so we waited right there in the lobby where they could see us. After half an hour, my husband asked if our room was ready and the guy looked at him like he didn't know what he was talking about and asked what our name was.

I think what has always irritated me the most over the years, was how they NEVER once acknowedged that we had stayed there before. Most hotels say, "Welcome Back Mr. and Mrs. so and so," but they have never said a word. I actually think that is very rude, especially after half a dozen stays or more and the terrific reviews I have given them on Trip Advisor.

Lastly, when we were checking out, my husband asked if they could give him change for the driver and the guy said in a very rude manner, "I don't have change." I think that nailed the coffin shut as far as we were concerned. Let me add, that almost every single one of these people has worked there for as long as we have stayed there, so these aren't untrained people. I think we have probably stayed with them more than any other guest, so a little warmth would have been nice.

So, when we return to Rome, we will no longer consider The Mozart. Very sad, but I think guests deserve good help at the front desk. If they don't like their jobs, I'm sure there are others in Rome who would jump at the chance at working there!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank muddsmom
SEATTLE
Reviewed 5 October 2009

will return! Comfy bed, english speaking staff, wonderful breakfast, terrace with bolganvia, steps from the "Steps"
Loved the tile floors in the entire room. The windows open out after you open the shutters, we could hear the city sounds, music playing next year. We went in 2001, our 10 year and my 40th.....this application does not let you pick older than 2006. Found this on the net all on my own...

• Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
Israel
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Lovely hotel. We stayed in for 5 days in Vivaldi Apartments. Big room with big LCD , friendly stuff and super location ! 5 min to Piaza de Popolo , same distance to Piaza de Spagna and 10 min to Piaza de Venezia.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank gothicgirl021
UK
Reviewed 26 September 2009

My mother and I have visited this hotel several times over recent years. In the past, we always enjoyed our stays, appreciating some of the small details that make a difference, and have recommended the hotel to many people. So this summer when we decided to return to Rome to celebrate my mother’s 90th birthday, it seemed a natural choice to return there for our four days and we were going to be joined by my two adult sons for part of our stay. My mother and I, as in previous years, wanted our own rooms… so the total bill was not going be inconsiderable.

I gave the hotel advance warning of my mother’s birthday, hoping that maybe they might put out some flowers, even a single rose in her room, or maybe upgrade her room and, I discovered subsequently, a friend who lives in Rome phoned the hotel asking if they would do something to welcome my mother in a special way for her birthday... even a single flower. And what was there, in the event, ... nothing. No flowers, (not even one), no fruit, the same basic single room, even the welcome drinks that we enjoyed in the past were not given on arrival (although when I complained later that day we were given a card with 2 drinks, but not 4 for the whole family). In the room, there were disappointments too ... no longer the notepad by the television for jottings, all three rooms had problems with the TVs at one stage or another, my mother's didn't work at all to begin with, mine was jammed on the second day and the boys couldn't get all the channels initially. The boys’ air conditioning didn't work properly. I didn't have soap in my room the first night and had to leave a note for the housekeeper. We had to ask, on more than one occasion, for more milk in the bedrooms as we were left with only one small pot in the mornings after the housekeeper tidied our rooms. In the breakfast rooms, on only one of the three days did we have fresh rolls for breakfast... on others there was sliced bread, rather dry and curling up in places. All these are signs of a failing management or general meanness. On top of all these irritations, on two mornings there was no hot water in the mornings and for this at least some adjustment was made to our bills... which, none the less, totalled over E1,000.

I left feeling bitterly disappointed. What I had hoped would be a happy return to a hotel, in which we had been frequent visitors in the past, to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday, a huge achievement in itself, was spoiled by the changes in the hotel. We will not return, which is sad as I really felt we had found a very good small hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family