“The worst hotel in the history of hotels!!!!”
Review of Taormina Hotel

Taormina Hotel
Ranked #394 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 23 June 2014

THE worst hotel on the planet!!!! People that gave this hotel good reviews probably never stayed at decent hotels, or just dont know what good service is. I assume this hotel used to be a prison, because their rooms are like inmate cells. No elevator, horrible stuff, the dirtiest neighborhood in Rome. They are a lot of homeless people in the area, so be aware!!!They charge for AC and wifi!!!! They dont want to take credit cards, cash only. In what universe are they providing a service? No room service. The list goes on and on. In the morning they have the front desk guy who is the nastiest Italian Ive met in my life, rude and with an attitude. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was impressed! Great service, great room, clean, I liked the breakfast, the hotel is very close to Termini station, to the center of Rome. It is at 5 minutes walk to Colosseum, and then they all come: trajan's column, trevi etc
I hightly recommend it and I would definetly come again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mihaela C
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I experienced Murphy's Law booking this short city trip, but a serious company needs to know how to respond when things go wrong. I booked my trip online from Spain to Italy. Firs of all, the hotel was just what we were looking for, and previous positive reviews were accurate. There are many homeless people in the area and nearby park, who don't feel dangerous at all and mind their own business. There are also shops and supermarkets in the area. We wanted a clean place to rest, near the centre so as not to rely on public transport and that's what we got. The room was not spacious as such, but we had two single beds, all in good condition, nice thick curtain on the window. The bathroom was on the small side, but the water pressure in the shower was amazingly strong. There was a TV in the room with all channels in Italian, breakfast was simple but good enough. WiFi is a euro a day, or there's one PC in the small lounge with a printer available for free. Staff was always polite and helpful, and so was the breakfast lady. We paid 100 euro for an extra night, but it was Easter week. Now, I booked our trip via Spain's Logitravel. After I booked it I found out the name on my friend's passport was different than how I had booked it (she has two given names, I used only one). I realized this on a Sunday, the day before departure. Complain number one: how can an online travel company not work on Sundays. No one got back to me until the following day, when I was on my way to the airport. I called Lufthansa, the airline we were flying with. I told them the name problem, the lady's answer was "we can't change the name, you need to contact the travel agency". So I decided to buy a new ticket since I couldn't contact the agency that same day. When we got to the airport the following day, nobody said anything and we flew with the first tickets we bought! Once in Italy, I saw various emails from Logitravel. Their response was that I "had to buy a new ticket by Lufthansa and then request a refund due to wrong name". I replied to them saying I had bought the new ticket, and their response was "that wasn't the way to do it, and you changed the return ticket. Enjoy your holiday". 1. Yes, I had changed the return date. So? 2. Maybe they meant I had to rebook through them, not directly through Lufthansa. But I have to guess what they meant because of the way they communicate. 3. They never said to me that using one name out of two given names was good enough. On the way back from Italy, I noticed they really were not using the second flight ticket at the airport at all. When I asked why, the Lufthansa representative simply said to me the name was close enough to how it showed on the passport, and there had been no need to buy a second ticket at all! Once home, I contacted both Logitravel and Lufthansa. Logitravel just ignored me, I got no reply whatsoever. Lesson number one for all of you who work in customer service: Never ignore a customer's query. Whether you think the customer is right or wrong, a serious company who believes is doing things right simply knows how to face a customer when things go wrong. I also contacted Lufthansa on a numerous occasions. When I had lost all hope, I got a phonecall from them. They asked me to explain the reason of my complain, which was: I called you to check if the name I had bought the ticket with was correct, over the phone I was told I needed a new ticket, yet at the airport they said there was no need for it. Lufthansa has recognized it was a mistake on their part and two months later they've given me a full refund. But even if you think you can't get me a refund, as in Logitravel's case, it is very important to communicate quickly and effectively with your clients when you have an online company so we feel confident to use your service, to be polite and, certainly, not to ignore any correspondence from disappointed customers, which is exactly what I am now. Taormina and Lufthansa again? Yep. Logitravel? Definitely not.

Room Tip: Ours was on the ground floor, nice and easy to access.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The only negative thing about the room was that the air conditioning unit was on the floor next to the bed and was noisy. Breakfast comprised of coffee, orange juice and a selection of breads, processed cheese and jams. The hotel does not have a proper bar but you can buy a glass of wine for 1 euro which was excellent. The public areas do not have air conditioning. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated about a mile from the Colosseum in a bit of a run down area with a few bars and restaurants in the vicinity. The first day we walked to the Colosseum, Paladine Hill and Roman Forum and walked back. The second day we walked to the Trevi Fountain and got the Underground Train back to the Termini. The third day we walked to the Vatican and got the bus back to the Termini. The Taormina is an easy 10 minutes walk from the Termini. Rome is not the easiest of places to find your way around nor is it pedestrian friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

hotel was slightly below other hotels i've stayed in while in rome . first , there was no elevator , you have to pay extra for wi-fi ( 1 euro a day) and a/c ( 5 euros a day ) . small tv in room with no english speaking channels , i usually have seen cnn and bbc. breakfast was only rolls , no meats , cheese or even cereal . maybe 10 min walk to coloseum . i wouldn't say no to staying here again , but i would definetly explore other options first

Room Tip: there is a courtyard out back , maybe a room overlooking this would be nice .as most rome hotels , s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from staying at this hotel. I am giving it 2 stars because it was basically clean, that's about it. The majority of the staff was nice, but there were a couple that made it seem like it was a chore to help us. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

When the Bed and Breakfast we had booked did not exist we walked cross the street to Hotel Taormina. We were lucky and they had 2 rooms available. The rooms were very spacious and clean. We also enjoyed the breakfast in the morning.
The Front office staff were all very professional and service minded.

The only negative would be the overall area where the hotel was located. Walking back to the hotel in the evening from the Metro Station is not something I recommend for a single person.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family