“Great value budget hotel”
Review of Taormina Hotel

Taormina Hotel
Ranked #402 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Great value budget hotel”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Yes it's basic, yes the breakfast selection is poor.....BUT you get a clean large double room in a good location for visiting sites for less than £50 a night in one of the most expensive cities in the world! We had a wonderful over night stay here, we walked from Termini to the hotel which took only 15 mins. The hotel is clean and well laid out, the rooms are large and ours had doors opening onto the roof terrace garden. Yes the shower cubicle is small and the breakfast selection is limited. my only other whinge would be that there is a sign on the corner of the road before the hotel that makes it seem that the hotel is in the side road rather than where it actually is. We have stayed in Rome before and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a clean room that they will only be putting their heads down in. The staff are helpful, knowledgeable and welcoming.

Room Tip: Walk 50 mts past the sign on the wall to get to the hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hammers19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This 2-star hotel was very clean, and conveniently situated within walking distance to a metro station. The upsides of this hotel are that it is next to an excellent gelato shop and close to a supermarket and a few restaurants.
Although quite ideal, given the price of the room, we experienced mixed reactions due to the area in which the hotel is situated, which is very dirty, run-down, and does not make you feel like you are on holiday.
There are a few things about the room that resulted in negative experiences, such as the high noise levels, the temperature of the water in the shower that never stayed constant and having to take luggage up/down 2 flights of stairs due to no elevators. There were also extra charges for Wi-Fi (€1/d), air-conditioning (€5/d) and a city tax (€4.50/d).
I would rather pay extra for a hotel in the region of the metro stations around the Spanish Steps (Spagna) or Trevi Fountain (Barberini).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PrimeSA
Provo, Utah
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel was within walking distance from the Rome train station. Also close (two doors down) from the best Gelato shop in all of Rome. The lobby is on the first floor up from the entry. The front desk people were helpful in suggestions of things to do and how to get to each of them. We would suggest a three day Metro and bus pass to use, if you are there that long. Ask for a room on the back side of the street. We did not need A/C but if we did it was a 5 Euro charge. Also internet was 1 Euro per day. Room 124 was on the back side a we could sleep with the window wide open.

Room Tip: rear to avoid the train directly in front of the hotel on the street side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jpkcak
New Yorik City
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed in a triple room at the Taormina in early June for 3 nights. The positives: the room was actually spacious and seemed to be newly renovated. Once we decided to splurge and spend the 5 euros per night for a/c, it was really quite comfortable. The subway was only a couple of blocks away and we used it to get to the Vatican and other faraway sights. We liked being able to walk to and from Termini Station and did not find the neighborhood to be scary or dangerous. Most of the front desk staff people were pleasant and helpful. The negatives: despite leaving a tip for the maid, one day she did not clean our bathroom at all. We requested to have our air conditioning turned on the third night, and went back and forth to the front desk clerk several times, but he could not get it working and was mystified. We finally realized that someone had turned off the power switch on the unit. The only way we could turn it on was to stand on a chair, as it was located close to the ceiling. Climbing up 2 flights of stairs to our room with heavy luggage was difficult.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014

THE worst hotel on the planet!!!! People that gave this hotel good reviews probably never stayed at decent hotels, or just dont know what good service is. I assume this hotel used to be a prison, because their rooms are like inmate cells. No elevator, horrible stuff, the dirtiest neighborhood in Rome. They are a lot of homeless people in the area, so be aware!!!They charge for AC and wifi!!!! They dont want to take credit cards, cash only. In what universe are they providing a service? No room service. The list goes on and on. In the morning they have the front desk guy who is the nastiest Italian Ive met in my life, rude and with an attitude. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was impressed! Great service, great room, clean, I liked the breakfast, the hotel is very close to Termini station, to the center of Rome. It is at 5 minutes walk to Colosseum, and then they all come: trajan's column, trevi etc
I hightly recommend it and I would definetly come again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mihaela C
Spain
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I experienced Murphy's Law booking this short city trip, but a serious company needs to know how to respond when things go wrong. I booked my trip online from Spain to Italy. Firs of all, the hotel was just what we were looking for, and previous positive reviews were accurate. There are many homeless people in the area and nearby park, who don't feel dangerous at all and mind their own business. There are also shops and supermarkets in the area. We wanted a clean place to rest, near the centre so as not to rely on public transport and that's what we got. The room was not spacious as such, but we had two single beds, all in good condition, nice thick curtain on the window. The bathroom was on the small side, but the water pressure in the shower was amazingly strong. There was a TV in the room with all channels in Italian, breakfast was simple but good enough. WiFi is a euro a day, or there's one PC in the small lounge with a printer available for free. Staff was always polite and helpful, and so was the breakfast lady. We paid 100 euro for an extra night, but it was Easter week. Now, I booked our trip via Spain's Logitravel. After I booked it I found out the name on my friend's passport was different than how I had booked it (she has two given names, I used only one). I realized this on a Sunday, the day before departure. Complain number one: how can an online travel company not work on Sundays. No one got back to me until the following day, when I was on my way to the airport. I called Lufthansa, the airline we were flying with. I told them the name problem, the lady's answer was "we can't change the name, you need to contact the travel agency". So I decided to buy a new ticket since I couldn't contact the agency that same day. When we got to the airport the following day, nobody said anything and we flew with the first tickets we bought! Once in Italy, I saw various emails from Logitravel. Their response was that I "had to buy a new ticket by Lufthansa and then request a refund due to wrong name". I replied to them saying I had bought the new ticket, and their response was "that wasn't the way to do it, and you changed the return ticket. Enjoy your holiday". 1. Yes, I had changed the return date. So? 2. Maybe they meant I had to rebook through them, not directly through Lufthansa. But I have to guess what they meant because of the way they communicate. 3. They never said to me that using one name out of two given names was good enough. On the way back from Italy, I noticed they really were not using the second flight ticket at the airport at all. When I asked why, the Lufthansa representative simply said to me the name was close enough to how it showed on the passport, and there had been no need to buy a second ticket at all! Once home, I contacted both Logitravel and Lufthansa. Logitravel just ignored me, I got no reply whatsoever. Lesson number one for all of you who work in customer service: Never ignore a customer's query. Whether you think the customer is right or wrong, a serious company who believes is doing things right simply knows how to face a customer when things go wrong. I also contacted Lufthansa on a numerous occasions. When I had lost all hope, I got a phonecall from them. They asked me to explain the reason of my complain, which was: I called you to check if the name I had bought the ticket with was correct, over the phone I was told I needed a new ticket, yet at the airport they said there was no need for it. Lufthansa has recognized it was a mistake on their part and two months later they've given me a full refund. But even if you think you can't get me a refund, as in Logitravel's case, it is very important to communicate quickly and effectively with your clients when you have an online company so we feel confident to use your service, to be polite and, certainly, not to ignore any correspondence from disappointed customers, which is exactly what I am now. Taormina and Lufthansa again? Yep. Logitravel? Definitely not.

Room Tip: Ours was on the ground floor, nice and easy to access.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends