“not good”
Review of Clarin Hotel

Clarin Hotel
Ranked #415 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 November 2007

nightmare as soon as you arrive, hotel is on second floor and you have to use a very old lift to reach second floor.Hotel is clean but i need of renovation the room we had was outward facing so looked on to street some looked over a shut in courtyard try and get a out looking room.Rooms very basic but clean hotel staff seemed frendly until we needed to checkout then they tried to rip us off saying they hadnt been payed (even though we used a hotel voucher printed fom internet) so they swiped my card but my credit card company refused ,which we only found out when we got back.Also booked a cab through them to go back to airport and we asked driver how much he wrote 30 euros but when we got to airport he wanted 50 so we had to call over a policeman who told him to go away .The free breakfast is a experiance fun though in a strange way.Try and find another hotel do not book here ,although the area was nice and local resturants very good.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Clarin Hotel

Reviewed 5 August 2007

It's a good hotel if you don't want to afford high prices and search for a good location.
We stayed in a four people room, that had 2 big beds.

• Stayed: May 2004, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorenzo89
Reviewed 20 July 2007

I'm really surprised at a lot of these reviews - what do you expect for a 2* hotel?! It's quite possible we were just lucky with the room but during the 5 days we stayed there we were really happy with our choice. It's in an excellent position, within walking distance of all the main attrcations and the central station. There are loads of restaurants just around the corner. The rooms are basic but ours was clean with fresh towels and sheets each day. We didn't actually make it to breakfast as we'd heard they're really not worth getting up for in Rome, so I can't comment on that! It wasn't noisy at all and the fan in the room was perfectly sufficient even though it was constantly hot outside. The staff were always friendly, although the night porter's English is not very good, so he can initially come across as a bit rude. He definitely got friendlier the longer we stayed and the more italian we tried out on him! All in all if you just need somewhere comfortable and cheap to sleep this place is perfect.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pteropus
Reviewed 12 January 2007

Hotel Clarin was alright. It was 30-minute walk from the Roma Termini Station. It's on the lane parallel to Via Nazionale where you can get easy access to buses, metros and eatery places. Room was clean, so were the sheets. Fresh towels everyday. Breakfast was simple croissant, cereal and coffee.

The drawback was that the hotel was on the second floor as we had big luggages, and the walls were thin, so we really had to tone down our voices!

Otherwise, it is good for budget travellers, but not recommended to those with young children.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank Funky_gal17
Reviewed 3 October 2006

I booked a room there for two nights over 4th of July weekend. I ended up cancelling that reservation the same day. The hotel decided to wait EIGHT DAYS (THEIR COMPUTER WAS SUPPOSEDLY DOWN FOR THOSE EIGHT DAYS) before contacting me to tell me that I had booked this room through another website (which I did not) and that I would be charged 156 euro as a 'no show'. I am currently in the middle of getting this dispute resolved with these people at this hotel through my credit card. I have gotten rude emails from these people at this hotel daring me to 'prove it' that I did book this hotel through them. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! FROM THE PICTURES POSTED ON THE NET OF THE ROOMS AT THIS HOTEL, I'M GLAD I DECIDED TO STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank AprilH
Reviewed 27 March 2006

we stayed for 3 nights in January and found the Clarin represented excellent value for money at the time. Its probably overpriced in the summer.Location is near perfection and a very short walk from the station. Continental breakfast was as you may expect,small but adequate and the dining area cosy;as are the rooms. There was adequate heat and blankets for winter.In fact it was T-shirt weather most days anyway. The entrance and old fashioned windows were quirky .Yes the front door feels intimitating at night but only the first time you go to use it.The lift is antique but overall these things add to the experience and bring back fond memories.When I return its definately the Clarin for me.

• Stayed: January 2004
5  Thank lojack
A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne & London
Reviewed 18 November 2005

The Clarin is the prefect Hotel for those wanting to experience Rome on a budget.

It is a gentle 10min walk from Roma Termini & centrally located relative to all you would like to see whilst in Rome.

We went with our 2 children (girls 4 & 2).

The staff were great, the rooms were basic (it is 2 star after all) but were perfectly clean.

Within leass than a minute or so walk are some great Pizzeria, Cafes, Bars & Trattoria.

I would certainly go there again & would not hesitate to suggest others looking to "keep it real" do the same.

The money you save per night you can spend on a delicious meal & a few drinks.

Good Luck