“Excellent location, beautiful rustic style, super clean, but...”

Hotel Antico Borgo di Trastevere
Ranked #956 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I was thrilled to find this hotel online as it was exactly where I wanted to stay (Trastevere) and for the right price, and looked 'rustic'.... it definitely ticked all the boxes. The first night we had room 3 which was quite tiny (as I had read it would be) but had no windows (other than a tiny one high up like a basement vent) but we were so tired we just went to bed. Breakfast of your choice (continental) is brought to your room so you really feel pampered in that department.

The desk staff were super friendly and gladly gave us a different room upstairs for our next 2 nights. We had room 7 which had a gorgeous little view and was slightly more spacious. The beds are quite hard at this hotel but if you are worn out from sightseeing like we were, it wasn't much of a problem. We didnt need air con or heat as the weather was perfect. Shutters on window let us sleep in a nice dark room in the morning. Very quiet at night so you do get some peace...

The bathrooms are quite tiny (a late addition to this several hundred year old building) but everything was so clean and spotless it didnt really matter. They also use these strange 'towels' which were more like bed sheets.

But, the location truly does make up for all the little problems, as next to the hotel is one of the best restaurants we enjoyed, Trattoria Ponentina! I wanted to drink and dine there all day!

I may stay at this hotel again, what really was a problem was the noise - around 6-7am the staff start bustling around and one staff member would repeatedly WHISTLE loudly while working/cleaning, and as they prepared the continental breakfast trays, we heard alot of dishes banging and clattering loudly.... the walls are paper thin and we could hear the lady next door snoring all night and her hacking cough - yet WE got a complaint for having our tv on quietly at 9pm! So that really put us off, and we desperately needed sleep each morning! But if you are an early riser, this won't be a problem for you!

But once again this hotel is excellent overall as you can't have a better location - we looked for other hotels but this one is truly in a great spot, and we also heard it is the former house of singer Lucia Dalla, for those interested in this musician. It is also near Viale Trastevere so super easy for tram and buses into central Rome. Be sure to visit the nice man, Claudio, at Bar Piccolo on the Viale, he has a red nose like WC Fields and we had so much fun hanging out with him one evening!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a hotel on the first floor with windows overlooking the little piazza - so cute. But...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helenga666

Reviewed 19 December 2011

This hotel is in a great location but I wouldn't call the single room value for money. There was no window and the air conditioning played up each night to the point of shuddering and clanging at which point I would turn it off and then it would continue to drip water which would splash on my face. I did report this to reception who did not seem too bothered and nothing was done about it. The room was tiny and the bathroom - what can I say. I don't consider myself tall (5' 6") but my knees were touching the wall in front of me when sat on the toilet. You also had to squeeze past the toilet to access the shower. Breakfast was delivered to the room but there was nowhere to eat it apart from sitting the tray on the bed.
All in all the accommodation was disappointing to an otherwise amazing city to visit.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Karin B
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Quite a nice, charming place. Excellent locations and easy on the eye. Downsides were large air-con in the room, loud and not very effective. Book breakfast the night before, and it is bought to your room in the morning. Would I go back? Maybe, but not in the middle of summer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2010

My original plans to stay at a "B&B" in Trastevere fell through and I was left walking around with my backpack looking for alternative accommodations. For some reason availability was low and after a few hours of looking for a place, I settled for Hotel Borgo Antico. What a nightmare!

First, the room was dark and musty. There was a window but very little light passed through. The phone in my room didn't work. I spoke with the person at the reception every day to let them know that the phone wasn't working and nothing was done about it. They provide breakfast in your room. There is a paper at the front desk in the afternoon/evening so you can write down breakfast preferences. If you don't indicate or call them ahead of time, they give you a hard time about it. The last morning of my stay as I broke off a piece of my bread, an army of ants crawled all over my breakfast tray. When I returned the tray, they promised to give me another breakfast. After waiting 30 minutes, I had lost my appetite and told that I no longer wanted the breakfast. In the 3 nights that I spent there, I didn't not have one peaceful night of sleep. Between the noise of the pipes, toilet flushing and loud neighbors, I was up everyday at 4am. I mentioned this to the person at the reception and he was somewhat helpful. They had wifi but it was intermittent.

I would never stay and this place ever again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank lenlab631
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Although we booked this hotel while the site said there were four rooms available, they could not lodge us. Instead we were moved to a nearby hotel, called Hotel Domus Tiberina. The room in this hotel was ok for us, but I felt a littlebit cheated to. I do not like the feeling.
This way, any hotel bookable through bookings.com could expand the number of the rooms unlimitedly, and guests would end up in non-booked hotels. Often, their location is relevant to guests.
Their site should have said Antico Borgo Di Trastevere was full, and might recommend e.g. Hotel Domus Tiberina. That way I could have made my own choice. As it is with the former, the latter hotel is very noisy too. By the way, the showering cabin sliding doors allow for max 30 cm opening. Larger people cannot take a shower in room 21.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Guest_163
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Stayed here one night. It was quite cramped and a little pokey, but perfectly comfortable, clean and staff were friendly. The breakfast was a bit rubbish (they gave us cereal, but no milk or bowls to eat it with/in), but it got the day started perfectly well. The building though is charming and you're in the heart of beautiful Trastevere which is a great base in Rome. Don't expect too much, but it's a perfectly good, ok priced place for a shortish stay.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2010

This small and ancient hotel is in a corner of Trastevere- which was a great location, BUT
the room was minisucule, as was the shower. There were NO amenities ie towels were large clothes, no soap, no area within the hotel or in the room to sit. Trastevere is very noisy at night, so it is close to the center of a very lively night life but the hotel sits right on the street so forget about sleeping.Since it is an old hotel the walls are paper thin and one could hear what was going on in the rooms next door. The biggest complaint we had was how overpriced it was....also the included breakfast was terrible.
Don't believe what you read in Lonely Planet about this place.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple