Hotel Antico Borgo di Trastevere
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rome
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Residenza San Calisto(Rome)
Villa della Fonte(Rome)
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2012

On my last day of four, I returned to find that someone, inexpertly, had been through my luggage, leaving zips undone, pockets in an overcoat clumsily out of place, some English currency from trouser pockets removed and the empty packaging for a nearly full bottle of aftershave. I reported the incident to the evening receptionist. No management was on hand. Nor did any step forward over the subsequent 17 hours. An apology by the receptionist was made but no restitution offered for the stolen items or the distress caused. Subsequent interactions with another receptionist on my day of departure gave me cause to wonder if the theft had, in fact, been conducted, as was pretended, by an outside cleaning agency. I retain a lingering suspicion that the theft may have been internal. Until then, I had had no cause for complaint, other than the whining lavatory reservoir whenever a tap was opened. Despite its useful location for central Rome and Trastevere, I urge you to stay somewhere else.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank KombiDreamer
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We arrived at the Hotel Antico Borgo di Trastevere after having made our booking weeks in advance via booking.com only to be told that the room was unavailable due to a 'problem with the room.'
We were then told there was another hotel around the corner we could stay at at for the same price and was promptly shown to the next hotel a few minutes away. The second hotel was not nearly as nice as the one we'd originally booked and promptly told the manager/owner that we were not happy and would not be staying there. In turn he let out a couple of expletives and told us we would be charged anyway. (We've yet to discover if he has.)
I find this behavior completely unacceptable and unprofessional and would warn anyone contemplating this hotel to think again - or at least have a back up option.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thai_Rain
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I was thrilled to find this hotel online as it was exactly where I wanted to stay (Trastevere) and for the right price, and looked 'rustic'.... it definitely ticked all the boxes. The first night we had room 3 which was quite tiny (as I had read it would be) but had no windows (other than a tiny one high up like a basement vent) but we were so tired we just went to bed. Breakfast of your choice (continental) is brought to your room so you really feel pampered in that department.

The desk staff were super friendly and gladly gave us a different room upstairs for our next 2 nights. We had room 7 which had a gorgeous little view and was slightly more spacious. The beds are quite hard at this hotel but if you are worn out from sightseeing like we were, it wasn't much of a problem. We didnt need air con or heat as the weather was perfect. Shutters on window let us sleep in a nice dark room in the morning. Very quiet at night so you do get some peace...

The bathrooms are quite tiny (a late addition to this several hundred year old building) but everything was so clean and spotless it didnt really matter. They also use these strange 'towels' which were more like bed sheets.

But, the location truly does make up for all the little problems, as next to the hotel is one of the best restaurants we enjoyed, Trattoria Ponentina! I wanted to drink and dine there all day!

I may stay at this hotel again, what really was a problem was the noise - around 6-7am the staff start bustling around and one staff member would repeatedly WHISTLE loudly while working/cleaning, and as they prepared the continental breakfast trays, we heard alot of dishes banging and clattering loudly.... the walls are paper thin and we could hear the lady next door snoring all night and her hacking cough - yet WE got a complaint for having our tv on quietly at 9pm! So that really put us off, and we desperately needed sleep each morning! But if you are an early riser, this won't be a problem for you!

But once again this hotel is excellent overall as you can't have a better location - we looked for other hotels but this one is truly in a great spot, and we also heard it is the former house of singer Lucia Dalla, for those interested in this musician. It is also near Viale Trastevere so super easy for tram and buses into central Rome. Be sure to visit the nice man, Claudio, at Bar Piccolo on the Viale, he has a red nose like WC Fields and we had so much fun hanging out with him one evening!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a hotel on the first floor with windows overlooking the little piazza - so cute. But ground floor has one good room with large window. Ask to see room first if you are unsure. They are small but all you need.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helenga666
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This hotel is in a great location but I wouldn't call the single room value for money. There was no window and the air conditioning played up each night to the point of shuddering and clanging at which point I would turn it off and then it would continue to drip water which would splash on my face. I did report this to reception who did not seem too bothered and nothing was done about it. The room was tiny and the bathroom - what can I say. I don't consider myself tall (5' 6") but my knees were touching the wall in front of me when sat on the toilet. You also had to squeeze past the toilet to access the shower. Breakfast was delivered to the room but there was nowhere to eat it apart from sitting the tray on the bed.
All in all the accommodation was disappointing to an otherwise amazing city to visit.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Karin B
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Quite a nice, charming place. Excellent locations and easy on the eye. Downsides were large air-con in the room, loud and not very effective. Book breakfast the night before, and it is bought to your room in the morning. Would I go back? Maybe, but not in the middle of summer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple