“Perfect place to stay in Rome!”
Review of Villa della Fonte

Villa della Fonte
Ranked #529 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect place to stay in Rome!”
Reviewed 23 August 2007

I loved the Villa Della Fonte! Located in Trastevere, off of the Piazza Santa Maria, the location is ideal. While Trastevere is a bit far from some sights in Rome, it is a great way to feel like you're part of a neighborhood and the nightlife is never wanting. Restaurants are spectacular and reasonably priced.

As for the hotel, I had a single room, which was large and very clean. Every single person who works at the hotel is nice and will talk to you about where to go, what to do, etc. Rarely have I encountered such a helpful and friendly hotel staff. I felt like I was part of their little "family" after 6 nights. Breakfast is included as well--coffee, juice, croissant...on a beautiful terrace. The street is quiet, but only a block away from an extremely active nightlife.

My only complaint would be that the air conditioning isn't as cool as it could be, but the other attributes of the hotel more than made up for this small defect.

I will definitely stay there again the next time I am in Rome!

FYI, I booked the hotel through the lonely planet website and it required a 10% deposit.

• Liked — The friendly staff and location
  • Disliked — The air conditioning isn't that great
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank tripc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City
Reviewed 14 August 2007

This is a fantastic small hotel in the heart of Trastevere. I stayed here based on the reviews. It did not disappoint. I primarily chose the hotel based on price. I stayed for 2 nights. This was my 2nd trip to Rome. The first time, I stayed by the Spanish Steps. I plan on staying in Trastevere and this hotel when I return to Rome. The restaurants in the area are great. Trastevere has more of a neighborhood feel than the center of Rome plus its easily accessable to the major sites. The hotel itself is charming and clean. Breakfast on the terrace was a nice way to start the day.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Would be great if they could provide internet access for guests.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank egm16
chicago
Reviewed 31 July 2007

This a very special place and a real haven after a day of walking around Rome. The rooms were reasonable size and tastefully decorated. Very clean not at all stuffy feeling. We found it very easy to walk to many of the sights. The staff was very helpful with directions. We walked almost everywhere but did take a cab from the other side of the Tiber to the Villa Borghese which ran around 7 Euro's. On return from our outings we found Villa della Fonte's well air conditioned room and terrace were welcoming places to relax, we often took a break between sight seeing and dinner with a glass of wine or beer from mini fridge. While other reviews mentioned the noise from the piazza we did not find it a problem, but our windows were closed at night because of the air conditioning.This could be an issue in mid temperature nights as the area is quite busy even at 2 am. But then again maybe you want a geleto before you go to bed and one can easily be had just a short walk from this guest house.

• Liked — good value, terrace, interesting neighborhood, rooms clean and simply appointed
  • Disliked — not being able to hold onto my key, I felt bad when I would wake the desk clerk when we came in late.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank artist-travelor
Aylesbury
Reviewed 18 July 2007

This hotel was absolutely perfect for our 4 nights in Rome in early July. The rooms were very clean and large with a/c, mini bar, hairdryer, satellite TV and a full bathroom.

We chose what we wanted for breakfast the evening before and it was delivered at our specified time on the lovely rooftop terrace the next morning. There was a choice of croissants, cereal, bread rolls, yoghurt, juice, coffee or tea - you could have everything if you wanted.

As there were only 5 rooms, personal service was guaranteed and the staff were always polite and cheerful and very helpful with directions. The location was right on the Piazza Santa Maria which was full of restaurants and shops. It had a great buzzy atmosphere. Most major sights were about 20-25 minutes walk away but there were numerous trams and buses which went to Trastevere.

I would certainly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Dhonidoe
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 17 May 2007

You must go to Rome, and when you go to Rome, you must stay in Trastevere. Trastevere is the Rome you’ve come to see. In Trastevere, a small hotel, Villa della Fonte, will not disappoint. Located right off the Santa Maria en Trastevere, Villa della Fonte is a prime location near to great restaurants, fun nightlife, quirky stores, yummy gelato, and all the small, cobblestone lanes your heart could desire. It is within walking distance of the Roman piazzas…Piazza Navona, Piazza de Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori, San Pietro, and though a small trek to the Trevi and the Spanish Steps, it is doable, and the public transportation is affordable, and close to the hotel. My husband and I first stayed at the Villa della Fonte in April 2005 and again this past April 2007. Villa della Fonte is family-run by Simona and her mother, both as kind and helpful as we remembered. It is a small hotel with 5 basic and clean rooms, furnished with satellite TV, and ensuite bathrooms. This past trip we stayed in a room with a double bed and a large bathroom. The prior trip we stayed in a room with 2 twin beds and a much smaller bathroom. My husband thought the beds were a little hard and said he didn’t sleep very well, but I slept just fine. My favorite part of this hotel is the delicious breakfast served either in your room or on a gorgeous sun-filled patio. I have never eaten a chocolate croissant more delicious than the ones I ate there. I love Villa della Fonte and have beautiful memories from both my stays there and hope to make this hotel the place I stay when I travel to Rome.

• Liked — I love the loaction, the breakfasts, and the owners
  • Disliked — No lift!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MindyDeanne
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 12 September 2006

We stayed at the Villa Della Fonte for 4 nights in September and it was perfect. It is situated next to the Piazza Santa Maria in lovely Trastevere. The rooms are really clean with traditional wooden ceilings, with a/c and a mini bar. The Trastevere area is a great place to be at night and much cheaper to eat/drink than in the Historic Centre. The cobbled alleys are lined with cafes and restuarants - try one of the tourist menus - great value for money and the food is supurb!!

We walked everywhere from Villa Della Fonte, to all of the main sites, although our legs did ache by the end of the trip!

Regarding taxis to and from Ciampiano airport, we were a bit confused as we were charged 55 euros going and 26 euros coming back!!

All in all a great hotel, especially breakfast in the roof top terrace each morning!

Stayed September 2006
5 Thank FS&JP
Boulder Creek, California
Reviewed 5 July 2006

My wife and I recently spent three nights at the Villa della Fonte "guest house" and can offer a high recommendation. This is a very pleasant small hotel, tucked away in the heart of the Trastavere district of Rome, just off the lively Piazza Santa Maria, with lots of nearby restaurants, pizzerias, and wine-bars to choose from. From this hotel location, you can easily walk to most of the major attractions in Rome.
The Villa della Fonte accomodations are modern, spotless, and well-maintained. The staff were extremely kind and gracious, spoke some English, and were patient with our very limited Italian. A continental breakfast is served on the roof terrace at the morning hour of your choice. We appreciated returning to this little air-conditioned oasis after spending our days wandering through Rome during a July heat-wave. Our departure coincided with a taxi and bus strike, and the evening desk clerk helpfully arranged private car transportation to the airport for the next morning.
Trastavere is wonderfully authentic quarter of Rome, with a village atmosphere, and a touch of the bohemian. In the evenings, the Piazza Santa Maria adjacent to the hotel becomes a center of dining, people watching, and street entertainment. The nearby flea market, held on Sundays, is not to be missed.

• Stayed July 2006