“The eternal city, great hotel”

Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel
Ranked #123 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great stay. Staff were exceptionally helpful, enquiring about our sight seeing plans etc. Breakfast was good. Impressed by cocktail menu. The hotel is located in a predominately residential area. Transport links were excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paula M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

One of the best of its kind! The stuff is very kind and helpful. Rooms are clean and the breakfast is good! Near bus and tram station. A supermarket at the corner of the road. We had a great time staying here!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I know this hotel has been reviewed many times, but it is just so great that it deserves one review more! This will not be long review, since when something is nice, clean, neat good,with good hospitality, you really have nothing to add. Although some old previous reviews and forums I've read claimed it was off-beat and not handy, I must say those people are either crazy or I don't see what do they categorize as "handy" because this hotel is convenient and handy - for any part of the city!!! Literally. Either is it bus, tram or metro, you really don't lose a minute, the tram stop is just outside the hotel, and you reach the city for just few minutes (it depends what is your plan to see, you will need to switch to metro if you, but again - excellent connection!). And my past voyages and travels proved me that hotels categorized as three star family hotels are really the best choice - they never fail! (I will refer to my trip to Brussels and Paris - stayed at hotels of the same category, three stars, family hotels). What attracted me the most is lovely garden, but I am just sorry me and my Mum did not get out to eat to use the opportunity. But there will be time, and if I come back to Italy, I will look for the same accommodation like this time. Hotel staff is really the nicest you've met. But again, I was in Lucca, Tuscany in 2012. and the same friendly hospital people were there. This is just to break the stereotype of unfriendly Italians. (Oh, I forgot to mention Milan - beautiful people!) You have different people on every place on earth - the good and the bad, during my trips to Italy in all these years I was fortunate to met only one - at biglietti/ ticket office to trains at early morning in Lucca. But the staff in Villa San Lorenzo is really flawless. And the thing which is great, they know their guests! I wanted to tip them, but I was not sure about that since I have not read anything about the subject on forums, about tips in Italy.
I will put pictures soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank F3l3y3
Reviewed 21 July 2014

...if you don't mind putting up with a bit of graffiti and dodging the odd dog poop. The hotel is located in a working class area that also houses quite a few students due to the close proximity to an university, but my walks around the area were hassle free and the area restaurants friendly and accommodating.
Plenty has been written about Antonio and he deserves every one of those compliments. Antonio derives genuine pleasure from helping his guests and he is an absolute asset to the guests and the hotel. The front office staff and the restaurant staff too are extremely helpful. Special mention must also be made of Pascal who mans the bar in the evenings. Get chatting to Pascal and he'll tell you great stories of Paris and Santa Domingo while serving up decent cocktails.
The hotel itself is clean, comfortable and has several wonderful courtyards and also a rooftop terrace in the making. The breakfast is good but after 04 days you know exactly what you are going to be getting (they could vary the offerings a bit from day to day). The other negative is that if you fancy an early night, take your ear plugs along (I used mine) because the place gets pretty noisy late in the evening.
Location is great for transport links with the trams within a 3 minute walk that will get you to most of the major sights. The train station is a 15 minute walk if that's your preferred method of transport. Ask the front desk for a taxi and airport transfers.
All in all, I enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the top floor (5th) in summer.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank saffronrobes
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel staff were very professional and helpful ,especially Antonio,hotel manager!Clean room and hotel,very good breakfast and coffes! Very close to Termini station. So wonderful garden!I Would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alexandra P
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My family really enjoyed our stay. Very helpful staff and beautiful rooms. Note they are small rooms, about Microtel size, but perfect if you're just going to be sleeping there and seeing sights, which is what you should be doing in Rome :)

Convenient location to public transit via the city trams. Also a short walk to tourist attractions.

Air conditioning worked well and so did the wifi. Mini-bar in the fridge and didn't charge an arm and a leg for the water. Also, a grocery store right next door for convenience trips.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We were in Rome for 5 days, we wanted to be a part of the city and villa san lorenzo was the first step of this dream. 304 is a lovely room, has balcony, and very Comfortable i think. Antonio, the manager is a very very friendly and loves helping his guests. He planned our full trip day by day and made a surprise for the last night. Breakfast is cool, you can arrive the hotel by using tram u3, u19 or 4-15 from termini and 15 min walk. To cut it short, if you want to feel Rome stay in villa san lorenzo :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple